Our Community Forums will be closing on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Need your talk or text logs?
sdarca22's profile

Mentor

• 

30 Messages

Thursday, December 24th, 2015 10:11 PM

So called "unlimited data" plan rate increase?

I cannot believe the unimitigated gall of AT&T.  I received a letter today extorting me into surrendering my unlimited data plan that has never been unlimited.  I hope the FCC nails you to the wall with fines for your immoral business practices.  We'll see how that court case is resolved.

How can you justify an increase in cost for a service for which you've charged me for several years yet never provided?  How can you sleep at night?

The TWO times we managed to use over 2GB of data in one month, AT&T choked the speed to the point that FaceTime calls regularly dropped.  This did wonders for our attempts to stay in touch with our grandchildren.  So much for helping your customers stay in touch.

Yeah, yeah, some company spokesperson (read: hired liar) will chime in with a bogus explanation about how it "really is unlimited" yet cannot resolve the fact that choking the speed IS limiting the data.

Let me help you understand, since the company cannot comprehend simple English.  Here is how Merriam-Webster defines UNLIMITED:

• without any limits or restrictions

• not limited in number or amount

• lacking any controls : unrestricted<unlimited access>

If you choke the speed, you ARE limiting the data.

This is how a major company treats a customer who has always paid the bill on time and in full since 1983.

Precisely what are you charging an additional $5/month for anyway?  It clearly hasn't cost you any extra because you don't allow the data usage to approach even moderate, much less excessive, use.  When you choke the speed the data usage nearly ceases.

I think it's time to explore other wireless options.

Final clue for the hired liars that will chime in with the party line: If you limit the speed, you limit the data, hence making it a LIMITED data plan.  Now you want to extort more money for this service that you never have provided.

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

As I posted in another thread, it is right there in the quick facts

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/unlimited-bundle.html

After 22GB of data use on a line in a bill cycle, AT&T may slow data speeds on that line during periods of network congestion for the remainder of the bill cycle.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@Bornhere wrote:

It's disingenuous of a company (any company) that is a cell provider to tout their speeds and choose, on a whim, to slow down the data on an "unlimited" plan. If it's unlimited it should be truly unlimited at full speed. Maybe they aren't violating TOS but it's just not right. I blame the FCC for letting companies call it unlimited since it's not unlimited at the speed that's generally accepted as the industry standard.

It's more than semantics. The word "unlimited" has resonance. They use it to their advantage on advertisements -  just don't read the fine print.

This argument over whether unlimited is unlimited if speeds are reduced has been going on for 6 years now. Regardless of what your definition of unlimited is, every wireless carrier that offers unlimited data has some sort of throttling policy and I would wager that if you could not connect to the network because all the bandwidth was being used by all those unlimited data users, you would not be happy. It is the throttling policy that keeps things like that from happening. It is not arbitrary or on a whim. Unlimited data users get their speeds reduced when network congestion requires it. 

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

8 years ago

My argument is using the word "unlimited". I don't care what company uses it. If you offer "unlimited", build your infrastructure to handle it.

If you can't handle it or manage your network don't call it "unlimited". It's not a difficult concept to grasp. It either is or isn't. In this case it's 22gb and then , well, whatever we decide. Then call it the "22gb and then whatever we decide plan".

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

The speeds are great...

On my 15GB Mobile Share Value plan I get amazingly fast LTE speeds at all hours of the day. Once again this is an instance where an assumption is being made. You're talking about the carrier touting their fast data speeds and then you think that applies to every offering they have.

But it doesn't. The fastest speeds are available on the newest plans, which happen to be tiered Mobile Share Value plans.

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

8 years ago

So you are stating that the unlimited plan isn't the latest plan? And a person must switch to a tiered plan to get LTE? Is this is official AT&T policy? Can you post where that is written in the TOS?

Otherwise... You are spreading FUD and want people to believe that if they remain on an older unlimited plan they will somehow get slower speeds. Please correct me if I'm wrong. And maybe you should clarify things. After all, the fact that you are an AT&T employee and proudly display a 4G logo near your name might confuse people. 4G. That still means LTE or is it HSPA? What a provocative comment from an employee.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@David606 wrote:

The speeds are great...

On my 15GB Mobile Share Value plan I get amazingly fast LTE speeds at all hours of the day. Once again this is an instance where an assumption is being made. You're talking about the carrier touting their fast data speeds and then you think that applies to every offering they have.

But it doesn't. The fastest speeds are available on the newest plans, which happen to be tiered Mobile Share Value plans.

Not sure what you mean here. Unlimited data customers get those same LTE speeds. The only difference is that unlimited data users might have their speeds reduced after 22GB. 

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

8 years ago

@Bornhere

At the time unlimited data was offered, and discontinued, the data speeds were 3G.  

That is what the original unlimited data plans signed up for.  Should ATT have held those grandfathered customers to 3G speeds all these years, while tiered plans got 4G, then LTE?

But who remembers that.....

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

Sure unlimited plans were gifted LTE as technology advanced but that does not mean that marketing that touts a fast LTE network applies unilaterally across the board. It's a fast LTE network within the terms of the plan someone is on.

Too much assuming and attempts by those who disagree with the terms to define what unlimited means. As I've said before.... Unlimited data at 128kbs is still unlimited and nowhere was bandwidth guaranteed. Whenever someone gets throttled they still have access to use as much data as they please. That's still unlimited regardless.

There is no gray area to argue that slower speeds is not truly unlimited. If the data was completely shut off then it ceases to be unlimited. Once again it's all about voting with your wallet. If the price increase or soft cap doesn't fit someone's needs then they are free to shop around. Cellular is not POTS. No monopolies anywhere.

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

8 years ago

You and your spouse go on a cruise. The cruise offers an "unlimited" buffet.  After your meal you enjoy a delicious dessert, pie a la  mode. It's so tasty that your spouse says, "be a peach and get me another piece". You amble back to the dessert cart only to find day old donuts. You complain to the server "hey, where's the a la mode". He smiles and responds, " The TOS doesn't stipulate you are entitled to a second piece". You plod back to your table with the stale donut and a glass of milk to dunk it in and meekly utter, "we can't complain, it's in the TOS".

Look, my argument isn't with AT&T per se. It's bigger than that. They can do what they want and if you don't like it, leave. I did. Legally, they are most likely right. And if enough people leave them (for whatever reason) maybe they will change. They are, by orders of magnitude, the worst customer service company I have ever seen. The only company that's worth mentioning is Time Warner cable. Ironically, I left them for Directv, which is now owned by AT&T. Hopefully they won't destroy them, but if unified billing is the harbinger of the future they might have a short shelf life.

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

8 years ago

Interesting analogy as I've been using the - "all you can eat buffet"  but you can't share a plate or take home a doggy bag - to explain why tethering is not allowed.

back to the point and to be very clear...ATT does not throttle any more.

After the hand slap by the FCC, they changed policy and now reprioritize unlimited plans after they hit 22 GBs.  This means if the network is congested, your service will slow.  If the network is not congested, your speed will still be full LTE.  

Some report no slow down in service well past 22 GBs.

If service is slow for you after 22 GBs, it would be slow for other customers as well.  Peak times, morning and evening drive, and prime time are to be expected.

So it's more like: You were first in line at the buffet, ate your fill, and now you have to wait in line with a big crowd  (like everyone else)  for whatever is still left over.   

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.