Our Community Forums will be closing on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Need your talk or text logs?
sdarca22's profile

Mentor

• 

30 Messages

Thursday, December 24th, 2015 10:11 PM

So called "unlimited data" plan rate increase?

I cannot believe the unimitigated gall of AT&T.  I received a letter today extorting me into surrendering my unlimited data plan that has never been unlimited.  I hope the FCC nails you to the wall with fines for your immoral business practices.  We'll see how that court case is resolved.

How can you justify an increase in cost for a service for which you've charged me for several years yet never provided?  How can you sleep at night?

The TWO times we managed to use over 2GB of data in one month, AT&T choked the speed to the point that FaceTime calls regularly dropped.  This did wonders for our attempts to stay in touch with our grandchildren.  So much for helping your customers stay in touch.

Yeah, yeah, some company spokesperson (read: hired liar) will chime in with a bogus explanation about how it "really is unlimited" yet cannot resolve the fact that choking the speed IS limiting the data.

Let me help you understand, since the company cannot comprehend simple English.  Here is how Merriam-Webster defines UNLIMITED:

• without any limits or restrictions

• not limited in number or amount

• lacking any controls : unrestricted<unlimited access>

If you choke the speed, you ARE limiting the data.

This is how a major company treats a customer who has always paid the bill on time and in full since 1983.

Precisely what are you charging an additional $5/month for anyway?  It clearly hasn't cost you any extra because you don't allow the data usage to approach even moderate, much less excessive, use.  When you choke the speed the data usage nearly ceases.

I think it's time to explore other wireless options.

Final clue for the hired liars that will chime in with the party line: If you limit the speed, you limit the data, hence making it a LIMITED data plan.  Now you want to extort more money for this service that you never have provided.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@sdarca22 wrote:

It's amusing that you claim that it is entirely MY misunderstanding.  If that had any truth to it, then why did AT&T find it necessary to send out notices of change?  If it was my misunderstanding, then nothing NEEDED to change.

Furthermore, I just changed to the newly offered "unlimited" plan to reduce MY costs, and the TOS clearly state NOW that the chokehold occurs at 3GB for 3G & 4G devices, and 5GB for 4G LTE devices.

There was no mention of "22GB" that some of you continue to claim.

Either you've pulled up an outdated TOS or it hasn't been updated but the 22GB threshold for throttling is very true. Try googling it, there was quite a bit of media coverage when that change was made. 

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

Unlimited data at 128 kilobits per second is still unlimited data. Nowhere are speeds being implicated. Find me where speeds were clearly guaranteed in any communication or terms.

Mentor

• 

30 Messages

8 years ago

You people are hilarious.  You accuse others of not being able to read, when clearly you did not read my response.  I did not "pull up" any information.  It was the TOS for changing the plan.  In other words, the new "contract".  Sheesh.

Mentor

• 

30 Messages

8 years ago

I refer you to post #12.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@sdarca22 wrote:

You people are hilarious.  You accuse others of not being able to read, when clearly you did not read my response.  I did not "pull up" any information.  It was the TOS for changing the plan.  In other words, the new "contract".  Sheesh.

Sorry, you did not say where you saw those terms. I can't explain why you are seeing what you are seeing but they are wrong. I suggested googling it but you apparently didn't. If you won't believe us, perhaps you'll believe PCWorld: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2984493/carriers/att-unlimited-data-plans-now-allow-22gb-per-month-without-throttling.html

Mentor

• 

30 Messages

8 years ago

1. I stated that I changed the plan and that the TOS stated the data limits.  When you change a plan, there are new TOS.  It's not complicated.
2. You suggest that I trust google over the TOS given by the service provider.  Mmkay.  *rollseyes*  I'm sure that the judge will review google in the event of another lawsuit rather than the actual TOS.  smh
3. If the TOS are incorrect, then it is the responsibility of AT&T to correct them.  They had no problem changing them last time DURING a contract.  Why can't they get it right at the BEGINNING of a contract?  

Seriously, did an employee just suggest that I trust google over the TOS of the provider?

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

If you had read the source you would know that they are citing an official statement from the carrier. Of course, all terms and information is on the website. It's always been there and has never been shielded from customer view.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1049282

"As a result of AT&T's network management practices, customers on a smartphone with an Unlimited Data Plan who have exceeded 22GB of data in a billing period may experience reduced speeds for the remainder of that billing period when using data services at times and in areas that are experiencing network congestion. Their data usage threshold will return to 22GB with the start of the next billing cycle. Even when subject to potentially reduced speeds customers normally can still have a good experience surfing the Web, accessing email, and continuing to use an unlimited amount of data each month without incurring overage charges. Customers will likely notice the biggest difference while streaming video. Streaming video consumes the most data of all activities and may be slow or choppy when a customer has used more than 22GB of data in a month and is using data at times and in areas that are experiencing network congestion."

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@sdarca22 wrote:

Seriously, did an employee just suggest that I trust google over the TOS of the provider?

No, I was suggesting you believe the many media articles/stories, etc, including ATT's official news release since you wouldn't take the word of any posters here. Google is just the tool to find all of those. 

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

As always everyone can vote with their wallet and find a provider that fits their needs.  Your definition of what constitutes unlimited data does not define what the actual terms and conditions of that plan are.Unlimited data means you have no overages. That's it. Plain and simple. Unlimited data at 128 kilobits per second is still unlimited.

Nowhere were speeds guaranteed nor were they contractually protected.

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

8 years ago

It's disingenuous of a company (any company) that is a cell provider to tout their speeds and choose, on a whim, to slow down the data on an "unlimited" plan. If it's unlimited it should be truly unlimited at full speed. Maybe they aren't violating TOS but it's just not right. I blame the FCC for letting companies call it unlimited since it's not unlimited at the speed that's generally accepted as the industry standard.

It's more than semantics. The word "unlimited" has resonance. They use it to their advantage on advertisements -  just don't read the fine print.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.