Our Community Forums will be closing on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Need your talk or text logs?
sdarca22's profile

Mentor

• 

30 Messages

Thursday, December 24th, 2015 10:11 PM

So called "unlimited data" plan rate increase?

I cannot believe the unimitigated gall of AT&T.  I received a letter today extorting me into surrendering my unlimited data plan that has never been unlimited.  I hope the FCC nails you to the wall with fines for your immoral business practices.  We'll see how that court case is resolved.

How can you justify an increase in cost for a service for which you've charged me for several years yet never provided?  How can you sleep at night?

The TWO times we managed to use over 2GB of data in one month, AT&T choked the speed to the point that FaceTime calls regularly dropped.  This did wonders for our attempts to stay in touch with our grandchildren.  So much for helping your customers stay in touch.

Yeah, yeah, some company spokesperson (read: hired liar) will chime in with a bogus explanation about how it "really is unlimited" yet cannot resolve the fact that choking the speed IS limiting the data.

Let me help you understand, since the company cannot comprehend simple English.  Here is how Merriam-Webster defines UNLIMITED:

• without any limits or restrictions

• not limited in number or amount

• lacking any controls : unrestricted<unlimited access>

If you choke the speed, you ARE limiting the data.

This is how a major company treats a customer who has always paid the bill on time and in full since 1983.

Precisely what are you charging an additional $5/month for anyway?  It clearly hasn't cost you any extra because you don't allow the data usage to approach even moderate, much less excessive, use.  When you choke the speed the data usage nearly ceases.

I think it's time to explore other wireless options.

Final clue for the hired liars that will chime in with the party line: If you limit the speed, you limit the data, hence making it a LIMITED data plan.  Now you want to extort more money for this service that you never have provided.

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

9 years ago

This sounds to me like someone who held onto an unlimited plan just to have it, without consideration for coverage.

You data is not reprioritized until you hit 22 GBS, and has NEVER been throttled at 2 gbs.

If your services are slow, It is not because ATT is slowing them down.  Either your devices are dated or defective, or more likely, you are not in a good coverage area.

You should have considered a carrier that provides better coverage years ago. 

It seems you have good reason to do so now.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

So we are saying that ATT got fined just because the FCC wanted money and all those complaints to the FCC were bogus with an average of 12 days of throttled data?   Riiiiiight. 

Man Frustrated

BTW, I completely agree with the OP.  I just updated my old phone and I *will* be one of those complaining if I get throttled. Since I do not use data until late at night there should be no issue with 'congestion.' 

ACE - Expert

• 

13.2K Messages

9 years ago

AT&T was not fined for throttling data, they were fined for not properly notifying customers of the throttling level.

AT&T has a fair use policy that was written into the terms of service that you signed when you got your account. AT&T determines what fair use is and can throttle beyond what they determine fair use.

The FCC determined that AT&T did not properly notify the unlimited data customers of the limit before they would throttle.

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

9 years ago

Very odd; here is a post from a customer who claims to be using 20 GB a day. Guess he is one of those paid liars?

https://forums.att.com/t5/Wireless-Billing/AT-amp-T-unlimited-data-taking-from-customers/m-p/4354260#M97508

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

9 years ago

I will preface my comment the way I do every other on this issue. I'm not speaking on behalf of AT&T, but sharing my opinion as a user just like everyone else since I am also a subscriber. I see you had the comment about limited speed ready to go. Implication and assumption mean absolutely nothing. Terms and conditions are terms and conditions. Speed was, never has been and never will be guaranteed. Unlimited data at 128 kilobits per second is still unlimited data. If a high bandwidth application doesn't work, too bad. You think high definition video streaming would have worked on EDGE speeds when everyone got their unlimited plans? Certainly not. The fair usage policy has always been in place. You can't assume the literal meaning because all unlimited data ensures is that you will never pay an overage. It does not entitle anyone to full LTE speeds (which wasn't even around during the time when unlimited plans were being offered). AT&T could offer you unlimited data at EDGE or original 3G speeds still. Advances in technology do not earn anyone an entitlement to being upgraded to that. Everyone was gifted the usage of HSPA+ and LTE as a courtesy.

Network congestion can occur 24/7, rural and urban areas. It is the nature of radio communications and network traffic. The fair usage policy states your data will be prioritized if you exceed the fair usage threshold. Which is now 22 gigabytes. Everyone wants to define terms and bend them to their needs. All policies, terms and conditions are clearly defined and always have been. A cost increase occurs whenever a company deems a particular plan or service out of sync with industry standards in the wireless business. Data and the network needed to deliver that data cost money. Tiered users should never, ever have to subsidize the usage of unlimited customers. Who all seem to say in unison they're never using that much data. Everyone knows that there is always a fraction of users abusing the system. Jailbroken and rooted phones with unsupported tethering applications. Triple digit gigabtye usage. Peer to peer traffic in excess. I understand people think they're entitled to have something for the same price eternally but it doesn't work that way. The writing on the wall is there for unlimited data. Other carriers hav eliminated it, Verizon raised the prices even more than this. Everyone else has fair use policies. Has eliminated the plan. It's going to be over soon across the industry.

This is why whenever a price changes or plan changes AT&T notifies in writing in advance. You have the option to cancel without paying an ETF.

Mentor

• 

30 Messages

8 years ago

Aside: Interesting.  I could not reply to this from my ATT phone.

Okay, okay, it was 3GB, not 2GB.

Regardless, they limit the unlimited data, revealing the fact that they lied about the nature of the plan.  Changing it after the fact and sending a confusing legalspeak "notice" in 5pt font does nothing to mitigate the blatant misrepresentation of the plan.

Either it is unlimited or it is not.  There is no "but".

If it was raised to 22GB I was not informed.  As I said in teh OP, we got throttled in two separate months, resulting in repeatedly dropped FaceTime calls with our grandchildren.  At 22GB we would never know it.  However, I DID receive a text message last summer alerting me that we were approaching the limit (of the unlimited data) and I assure you it was nowhere near 22GB.  It wasn't even close to double digits.

Why should I NOT keep a plan for which I signed the contract?  Why should it be okay for AT&T to violate the terms of the contract?  Even sending a notice is a violation, because it is NOT the contract to which we originally agreed.

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

Tired of arguing that data is not contracted, only service. Could you please post your "contract" for data (or provide a link)? 

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

Nothing was misrepresented because you are basing your expectations on your own assumptions. All unlimited data plans entitle the user to is not getting any sort of overage charges and that's it. Unlimited data at 128kbps is still unlimited. Nowhere were speeds promised. Terminology and marketing is one thing, the actual fine print is another.

Mentor

• 

30 Messages

8 years ago

It's amusing that you claim that it is entirely MY misunderstanding.  If that had any truth to it, then why did AT&T find it necessary to send out notices of change?  If it was my misunderstanding, then nothing NEEDED to change.

Furthermore, I just changed to the newly offered "unlimited" plan to reduce MY costs, and the TOS clearly state NOW that the chokehold occurs at 3GB for 3G & 4G devices, and 5GB for 4G LTE devices.

There was no mention of "22GB" that some of you continue to claim.

Mentor

• 

30 Messages

8 years ago

Mincing words to support intentional misrepresenation is disingenuos at best.  At worst it is immoral and unethical.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.