Need your talk or text logs?
MarthaQuilter's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, August 25th, 2015 8:48 PM

Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini - upgrade to Android 4.4.4 killed wifi performance

My phone upgraded to Android 4.4.4 and now my wifi performance is .5 Mbps download and .1 Mbps upload.  My other Android phone on 4.4.2 has 10Mbps download and 3 Mbps upload on the same wifi router so I know it's not the router.  I have power cycled my phone and nothing fixes the problem.  the wifi is so slow it's useless but if I run on 4G data I will hit my limit and the data speed will be throttled.  I tried to back out of the 4.4.4 release and cannot

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hello @MarthaQuilter

I’m sorry to hear you’ve been having issues with your Wi-Fi speed since updating to KitKat.

I would recommend that you disable the Smart network switch:

• Go to Settings > Wi-Fi > uncheck the box next to Smart network switch

If that does not work, try booting your device into Safe Mode:

1. From a powered-off state, press Power to begin the boot process.
  2. Once the company logo displays, press and hold Volume Down until the device fully boots.
    • If successful, the words Safe Mode displays at the bottom of the screen.

With Safe Mode enabled, try using Wi-Fi as you normally would. If the speed increases then most likely there is a 3rd party app affecting your speed. Remove any recently installed apps.

If Wi-Fi is still an issue even in Safe Mode, try backing up and restoring your device with Samsung Kies.

Thanks!

Charise

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

I booted in safe mode and it didn't seem to make much difference, I could not run speed test in safe mode, so I can't say for sure.  I couldn't remember what apps I had downloaded recently, so I just went through my apps list and removed anything I'm not using.  Speed now has improved, but I don't know what affected it. 

Thanks for the feedback.  I will try this on my wifi at home tonight and see if there is improvement.

One thing that was frustrating is that there are some apps like Uber that I will never ever use, but I cannot remove them from the phone.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

@MarthaQuilter wrote:

I

One thing that was frustrating is that there are some apps like Uber that I will never ever use, but I cannot remove them from the phone.

You can disable them in the app manager tho so you wont see them and they wont be running.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Some improvement.  After deleting a bunch of apps, when I connect to attwifi I get really good performance:  33 ms ping time, 10 Mbps download 3 Mbps upload. 

when I connect to my uverse wifi at home, I get a 50ms ping, but the download is .02Mbps, then the speedtest stops with a connectivity issue.

I also have an LG android phone and on the uverse wifi at home, I get similar speeds as other systems, 30ms ping time, 10 up and 3 down.

so I can't say the uverse wifi is the problem because the only device that doesn't like it is the Galaxy s5 mini, but I cannot run on wifi at home at all with the Galaxy phone.

I don't know what to check anymore especially since it's only this one device that doesn't like the uverse wifi.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

change the channel on your router and see if that helps with the s5 mini

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

I will try that next.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.