Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
U

• 

7 Messages

Sun, May 31, 2020 5:18 AM

Remove old phone and adding my new one to a share data plan

should be a simple issue to remove my old device (phone) and add my new device (phone) to my current shared data plan.

I think that AT&T should make it easier for long time current customers to switch phones easily and be able to set everything up on line. Currently, only if you buy a phone from them or are purchasing a mobile phone service and/or a new data plan is it possible to do this online.

My wife and i have had an account and shared data plan with AT&T for years. Her current phone and my previous phone were purchased from AT&T. I recently purchased a new smartphone on amazon. My new phone needed a nano sized SIM which my old phone did not have, so i took the new phone to the AT&T store and they gave me a new SIM with no problems. However, what the store person did not do remove my old phone from the data plan and put my new phone on it. when i go to my account (online) and look at the devices - my old phone is still listed. I have tried searching for answers in the self support topics and then hours contacting AT&T support via chat or by phone and can't get past the automated answer service. i have been giving links to enter my imei #, my new sim # and nothing works.

Now i am sure they can fix this problem at the store, but my point is that for something this simple (adding and removing) i shouldn't have to. Under the "Manage your Data" the account manager should have the ability to do this simple thing- add, remove or replace a device currently on the plan. And i don't think i am the 1st person to ever buy a new phone that was not from AT&T, so i know this problem must have happened before, but nothing about my specific issue can be found anywhere in the support pages. In my search it seems like all the support questions and answers are geared toward new customers or people adding or upgrading data plans.

I am taking my phone back to the AT&T store to hopefully solve my problem, but maybe in the future you (AT&T) can fix it so i and your other customers do not have to.

Sincerely,

ukuscott

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

76.4K Messages

a month ago

It's a problem because you're making too much of the process. It's as simple as taking the SIM card out of the old phone and putting it in the new one.
Done.

You don't need to go online or call AT&T. AT&T computer system will pick up the IMEI of the new device or at least recognize the device has been changed within a few days.
If the phone is not an AT&T branded android or an iPhone, it probably will not identify it with a cute little picture, and may even label it 'unknown device'. That's not going to change.

'Managing your data' is how you change your data plan. Are you trying to change your data plan? (don't think so). 🤨.

I think it's great that you are trying to get to know your My ATT account. But be assured, there is nothing amiss.

If your new phone isn't at&t branded android or an iPhone, and isn't working well, post make and model. AT&T requirements for non-branded phones is going to get very strict in the next 2 years. You cannot trust Amazon ads to be accurate. Not every phone that says it will work on AT&T will continue to work up to or past February 2022 when 3G shuts down.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

7 Messages

@lizdance40  as i wrote in my post- my old sim would not fit into my new phone, so i went to at&t and they gave me a new sim for my new phone.

the phone works, and it lists AT&T as my mobile network on the notification screen and in phone settings under mobile network. My phone is an android, released in late 2018 and is 4G LTE compatible.

i have been using my home wifi connection to download apps and connect to the web,

but when i am away from my house and no wifi network is available i cannot use the apps or connect to the internet via chrome or any other browser, because that requires data be used.

You wrote that " AT&T computer system will pick up the IMEI of the new device or at least recognize the device has been changed within a few days" well its been over a month and i can tell you that AT&T has not picked up the new IMEI and updated my account.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.8K Messages

what phone did you buy? Did you make sure it was VoLTE compatible?

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

76.4K Messages

@GLIMMERMAN76
Wanna bet its a Huawei phone? 🙄

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

76.4K Messages

a month ago

@Ukuscott
And this is why I need the make and model.
Although there maybe a Sim card problem.

When you purchase a non AT&T Android on Amazon it should say if it has a u.s. warranty (yes, good) or is an international model (no, bad, don't buy)
And after 30 days, Amazon won't take returns.

You focused your first post on AT&T s website not having a way to change your phone rather than on the real problem - your phone doesn't work on AT&T.
You seem to think this is somehow AT&T fault, it's not. And has nothing to do with 'changing your phone in myATT'. In fact if a phone is not entirely compatible, the way to get it to work, is leave an AT&T Android phone in your account to fake At&t system out.

Make and model please?

• 

7 Messages

i can't believe i didn't put the make and model in my original post! looks like i picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

phone is a Cat S31

• 

7 Messages

Again- just so we are clear. My original post was in regards to a change i would like AT&T to makes on their website for their customers. As to the problem with my specific phone- i am sure it will work once i get it back to the att store. however, because of the pandemic i am working longer hours and time off is minimal and now we have a curfew in effect. So until i can get to the store i am open to any solutions you guys may have.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.8K Messages

well bad news it's not compatable with att as they are shutting down the 3g network and you won't have voice calls in areas they already shut it down.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

76.4K Messages

a month ago

@Ukuscott
The website is fine. There is never a need or reason to add your own phone, and it won't make an incompatible phone work.
Swapping to a BYOD phone is always a matter of moving your sim card. AT&T is never going to show a non branded Android, even if it does work.
My or my son's pixel 3XL was perfectly compatible with AT&T and it used to show a gray basic flip phone on the website in my account.
The s31 came in a US model or EU. If you bought the European model it's as limited capabilities in the usa and it no surprise if data did not work.
If you bought the T-Mobile version, you may have to switch carriers when it stops making voice calls.

https://www.gsmarena.com/cat_s31-8847.php

• 

7 Messages

You guys were right- the phone is incompatible with att.

i went to the store. the agent looked at the sim card the ATT store gave me a few weeks ago and said it was a good sim and put it back in my phone. I told him i wanted my new phone (S31) added to shared data plan and my old phone removed from the shared data plan.

i gave him the imei # for my new phone and he typed away on his tablet. i thought he was adding my new device to my data plan and removing my old one, but he was not. he did change my new phone APN settings, restarted the phone, then asked me to try connect to the internet. so i opened google chrome and bam! the home page appeared, so it worked! Or so i thought, but sadly, no. i discovered upon getting home that it only worked because the chrome homepage was cached on my phone. had i tried to open another site, say youtube or gmail i would have discovered that i still could not connect using data.

on top of that- the agent did not remove my old device from my data plan and replace it with my new phone. my old samsung rugby is still listed as 1 of the devices on my shared data plan.

needless to say i was very unhappy with the Agent who didn't help me, and with ATT, Puppies, kittens, the guy at 7'11, basically everything of earth, wind and fire.

after taking a day to calm down, I thought, wrongly, that things could not get worse.

I was starting the process to return the phone to amazon when I discovered that they sent the wrong phone. my wife ordered the Single Sim US version of the phone but i had been sent the dual sim version.

Then I also found out that even though its the wrong product, its past the amazon 30 day window for returns so it looks like i am stuck with a $250 phone that is no better than my 9 year old flip phone.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

76.4K Messages

I'm doing this 🤦🏼‍♀️. I get you don't understand. But it's very frustrating to explain it to you more than once and have you disregard and not absorbed the information.

There is nothing is wrong with AT&T, it's website/app or network. The rep did nothing wrong. The only change he might have made was provisioning your account for data access.

The old Samsung Rugby is a recognized AT&T phone. Your new phone is not. The best thing the agent could have done is leave the Samsung Rugby's IMEI as a dummy, so you would still get service. Which he may have done. This practice often allows phones with compatible bands, but not US certification, to use a valid AT&T phone as a dummy in the system. Doing so often allows a non AT&T and incompatible phone to work as well, or nearly, as the AT&T phone it was replacing.

Have the feeling what you are trying to ask for is for AT&T to allow your non AT&T phone to be whitelisted in the system and therefore it will work perfectly. That's not going to happen.
There is nothing AT&T or you or anyone can do to make an incompatible phone appear in AT&T system or work with the AT&T network.

As 3g shutdown happens (it is in progress) non VoLTE phones will lose voice and text. You take your chances buying a phone not made for the USA or the carrier intended.

@GLIMMERMAN76 maybe you can explain it in a different way that will make sense to this poster.

As for Amazon error, that really stinks. I've had more trouble in the past 3 months than in the many years I've used them.
The US version would have at least worked for a while.

Best buy! Check out their phones. They price match.

(edited)

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

76.4K Messages

perhaps illustrations.

At&t recognizes the Moto pure, but not the Pixel on my line. Even thought the pixel worked perfectly, with Volte and wifi calling.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

76.4K Messages

These are phones currently working, that will get Volte after 3g shutdown.

https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/consumer/help/pdf/Devices-Working-on-ATT-Network-After-3G-Goes-Away.pdf

• 

7 Messages

thanks liz,

sorry it took so long to believe you. I guess this is what deregulation and corporate consolidation got us. But that's a rant for another forum site.

So i decided to use my part of the stimulus money on a Iphone. Who needs food anyway right?

• 

7 Messages

Ok,  so i finally found the  APN settings for another CAT phone that led to a link for my specific phone and  to make a long story short (ok- so that ship sailed) i have access to ATT data network.  the only problem is the "bearer" setting will not stay on "LTE".  the setting keeps reverting to "unspecified" so my phone is connecting via hsdpa (that may be spelled wrong).  so i have been able to access the internet away from home and get messages with pictures - the whole 8 yards.  

on my att account page my old samsung rugby phone is no longer listed.  It says Unknown Device, which is not great but i can live with it. 

anyway, back to my original point.  it should not be this hard to switch devices on an established account.  what if i was jason bourne and had to keep buying a new phone every day to keep the bad guys off my trail?  if my new phone didn't work every time there would be no movie.  I mean that kind of thing happens to people every day right? 

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

76.4K Messages

anyway, back to my original point.  it should not be this hard to switch devices on an established account. 

It wasn't hard at all.  It's as simple as moving a Sim card from one phone to another.  I've done it yearly, if not more often, for 6 years.   And if you purchase a phone that is completely compatible with AT&T you don't wind up having to fuss with APN settings and the phone would show in your account as something other than an 'unknown device' .    

what if i was jason bourne and had to keep buying a new phone every day to keep the bad guys off my trail?  if my new phone didn't work every time there would be no movie.  I mean that kind of thing happens to people every day right

Since Jason Bourne is suppose to be pretty brilliant, let's hope he makes sure that the phone is a carrier approved device, not a non compliant phone before he spends the $

Get started...

Ask a new question