Need your talk or text logs?
sawman's profile

Mentor

• 

38 Messages

Tuesday, December 23rd, 2008 12:12 AM

Closed

Register number for messaging preferences?

Since live chat doesn't give me anything to click to get to live chat after choosing a subject I'll have to ask my question here and hope for an answer. I've been registered and used myWireless account for years, is registering your number in order to change messaging preferences an entirely different process?

Accepted Solution

Guru

• 

983 Messages

15 years ago

Yes.  You have to go to http://mymessages.wireless.att.com/ and sign your number up.  There's not many messages options, but the ability to choose an alias is convenient. And ability to block texts and multimedia that is sent to your number (your alias would be excluded) is nice too. 

Mentor

• 

38 Messages

15 years ago

Ok, that answered that question but messaging preferences Isn't what I was looking for I guess. Is there no place to shut off text messaging and data services or must that be done by calling customer service only?

Guru

• 

983 Messages

15 years ago

If you do not choose an alias and choose to block messages from you message preference no one aside from AT&T will be able to message you.  The safest bet thorugh would be as you said, to contact AT&T Customer Care and have them remove the Text, Multimedia, and Internet altogether.  They're not required features, so there's no problem removing them.

Mentor

• 

38 Messages

15 years ago

Thanks for your reply Vampredator. So if I understand correctly, I could leave the service turned on(in case I wanted to use/pay $0.30@) and block everyone aside from AT&T from messaging me by choosing so in messaging preferences? Thanks again.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

15 years ago

Unfortunately to my understanding - the "Messaging Preferences" will only block SMS/MMS that are being sent to your phone's e-mail address (i.e. phonenumber@txt.att.net and phonenumber@mms.att.net ).  The intent behind it is to provide customers with some spam management tools, and spam tends to be sent to e-mail addresses.

If you want to block all messaging, you would have to contact customer service and have them actually place a messaging block on your account - you can have them do so so that only administrative messages from at&t are received.  But you won't be able to use messaging yourself unless you contact customer service and have them switch you back to "pay per use" access.

Mentor

• 

38 Messages

15 years ago

OK, thank you both. I have gone ahead and had SMS/MMS shut off by Customer Service. Hard to understand ATT's stance on charging for texting when it uses such a small fraction of the amount of bandwidth that voice does. It would be nice to keep the option open in case of an emergency/disaster situation when everyone wants to communicate...
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.