Need your talk or text logs?
Caitlincs1's profile

2 Messages

Friday, September 29th, 2023 7:27 AM

Predatory hotspot data charges during ATT infrastructure outage

My home internet has been down for 7 full days now due to an unspecific ATT fiber infrastructure issue. Support has told me multiple times per day that it should be resolved within 24 hours, which comes and goes with still no resolution. Latest “update” is they located the problem and ETA for repairs is best case on Monday (4 days from now), and worst case Friday of next week which would be a full 2 weeks with no home internet.

I am also an ATT wireless customer and I work from home so have had no choice but to use my mobile hotspot for an internet connection to work and will likely cancel my service over this whole ordeal. Basically I have had to not only upgrade to the highest wireless plan which is $20/month more than my original, to get 50GB of mobile hotspot, but I burned through that being on zoom calls for 8 hours a day every day pretty quickly. The only other option they will offer me is to basically purchase an additional 10GB at a time for $15 each time. Which I’ve had no choice but to do 3 more times so far so that I can work without interruption. But now it seems that even though I’ve purchased more, my hotspot speeds are being throttled to the point that most websites won’t even load on my computer that is connected to my hotspot. I understand their plans have hotspot limits, I assume to prevent wireless customers from using their wireless hotspot in place of internet, but that is not the case in this situation. I have and pay for both wireless and internet through ATT, I simply just need increased hotspot data while I wait on ATT to take their sweet time fixing the outage on my internet.

I’ve called and talked to every support department possible and they all just push me off to another department with no solution so wondering if anyone else has had this issue and has any suggestions? 

I did already file an FCC complaint against ATT for this tonight but still need to figure out how to get internet in the meantime through some sort of hotspot/broadband connection ASAP. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 months ago

If you work from home why are you not on a business plan? The business plan would allow an unlimited data hotspot

And it's not like there aren't other options for internet. All three networks offers some kind of wireless (cellular) internet solution that does not have a hundred GB cap.

2 Messages

7 months ago

I only need unlimited hotspot data in this one instance due to ATT’s internet outage. I’ve never needed it before in 8 years of working from home. I suppose it never occurred to me that I should be expected to overcompensate financially for years with higher/different plans in anticipation of this happening so that I would have unlimited hotpot just in case this ever happened? But noted, thanks for the helpful attitude and input!

Former Employee

• 

2.6K Messages

7 months ago

You have never had an outage? Power, internet, cable, wireless? These things happen. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 months ago

I realize working from home has now become far more common, and required in some cases. Unfortunately stuff happens.  You're going to have to plan on a backup. And maybe AT&T fiber is not the best service provider for you.

Frontier which bought out AT&T in my state is the fiber provider. It costs half of what Cox cable does. Some people have no complaints. Some people have complaints about both services. My Cox cable internet is rocksteady. I almost never have an outage.  Doesn't matter that it cost twice what Frontier does, I'm staying. 

In your case maybe it's time to consider either a backup that doesn't cost so much, or a different provider entirely.

I don't know if this is a home-based business or if you work for someone else but , Business expense? tax deduction?

2 Messages

4 months ago

Same deal with us today will be 16 days without internet and believe me I called texted and no definite answer I also filed a FCC complaint against AT&T

ACE - Expert

• 

32.1K Messages

4 months ago

@Eddierg 

Over two weeks? Must be some repair they have to do (get equipment, parts, whatever city permissions if requires digging or such, etc.). And of course don't forget they still have a shortage of techs since the pandemic. With a FCC or even BBB complaint, that usually gets contact back from their Office of the President (corporate level). May not fix anything quicker, but you may get a solid answer on why it is taking so long.

Depending on that response you'll need to decide if you continue waiting or bite the bullet and choose another provider.

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.