Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need your talk or text logs?
4gary4's profile
Employee

Employee

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, January 10th, 2018 9:29 PM

phone number spoofing

In the past few days I have been getting nasty voice mails from people I don't know who are claiming that they have been receiving several calls from my number and it looks my number has been spoofed. One guy even called me 18 times along with the voice mails.

Its very frustrating to see that your number has been used to spoof.

What can be done to fix this and also to prevent it.?

Thanks

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Mentor

• 

50 Messages

5 years ago

Anyone who does not stand for and support getting rid of--by any means necessary--that evil known as call spoofing,

stands rather firmly on the side of the spammer/scammers. #bancallspoofing. By the way, "companies" and "telemarketers"

are no longer the ones to worry about. They've been supplanted by scammers (sometimes spammers) who emanate from Upper Urassistan.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

5 years ago

@markguitre wrote:

Anyone who does not stand for and support getting rid of--by any means necessary--that evil known as call spoofing,

stands rather firmly on the side of the spammer/scammers.

That's incorrect and short-sighted thinking. PERSONALLY,  want (and need) my Skype account to spoof my cell phone number.

When I'm outside the country (or somewhere in the US with WiFi and no cellular) I need to be able to call others via Skype and have them know it's me or they won't necessarily answer.

At work, we need all the generic outgoing lines to show the same number. Again, so people know who is calling and does not let it go to voice mail (and what number to call back). I'm sure we have 50 outgoing lines in our school district, we need outgoing lines to have info so parents know who is trying to call them and NOT let it go to voicemail!!!

Any rules need a way to require an authentication process for some to be able to spoof properly.

FYI, Skype did require me to authenticate that it was actually me using the number before it started showing it on caller ID.

Mentor

• 

50 Messages

5 years ago

The so-called legitimate uses of call spoofing (few and dubious as they are) pale in comparison to the vast number of  illegitimate and malicious uses of it.

Therefore, a ban--as difficult as that may seem--is entirely sensible. Because Gary wants to spoof his Skype call, we must all suffer gladly the harassment and criminal conduct of millions upon millions of anonymous scammers? I don't think so. Ban ALL call spoofing. What I said before stands:

stands rather firmly on the side of the spammer/scammers. #bancallspoofing. By the way, "companies" and "telemarketers"

are no longer the ones to worry about. They've been supplanted by scammers (sometimes spammers) who emanate from the lower regions of Upper Urassistan.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

5 years ago

@Gary L 

Its amazing isn’t it.  Littering is illegal, yet people do it.  Robbery, murder, embezzlement, all illegal.  Hacking and identity theft are illegal too.  

So why when they are ‘banned’ as illegal do they still happen?  🤔🤔🤔

Well, bad people do tend to do bad things.  And the means to do these bad things exist, and can’t NOT exist.  It’s just like one cannot un-ring a bell.  

So banning clearly does not work all by itself.  So one would have to come up with a method that thwarts the existing means consistently enough to stop the illegal practices.   

I would like to ban tax increases.   Wait, just ban all taxes.  Viva the unreasonable!  😂

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

5 years ago

I proposed a  concept to AT&T ,,, a shell of a real company.  Paper pushers have no clue of, or ability to know, HOW their own system WORKS; they get paid even if they don't care that their systems are being hacked. 

The snag is also likely in kickbacks from telemarketers making millions per month through spoofing.

Note my post on the company selling spoof numbers stolen through illegal porting [of numbers].

See Bandwidth.com

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

5 years ago

It’s not just At&t it’s other carriers too. If you had Verizon service you would be on their forums spewing your rants. If ya have to complain then complain to the entity that can actually change the laws although criminals don’t abide by laws so 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

5 years ago

@Constructive   I’m amused that carriers are accused of profiting.  Complete ignorance of how spoofing is accomplished, not even aware most aren’t in the USA.  (I’ve been cursed at in bad English for having fun at their expense)   

Most spoofing is done with VoIP service.   That means with computers.   Telecoms are just as much victims as their customers.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.