For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
P

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, December 5th, 2021 9:34 PM

No 5G service on unlocked T-Mobile 5G phone?

I'll try and make this as simple as possible.

I just purchased an unlocked LG V60 ThinQ 5G online. It was previously a branded T-Mobile phone (T-Mobile startup screen, phone still had several unremovable T-Mobile apps) to use on my AT&T service. 

Went to the store, got it activated - no problems, we confirmed it was indeed unlocked. 

Let's recap:

1) I have a 5G phone? CHECK

2) I have a 5G current service plan? CHECK

3) I have a 5G SIM card? CHECK

4) I live literally right in the middle of a solid 5G area (area code 55424 - Southwest burbs of Minneapolis)

I have no 5G service.

I've done Ookla tests in the middle of Minneapolis, and several other areas while I'm running errands and no 5G service. I call up yesterday and the operator says, "Well, it can take up to 24 hours to activate the 5G service. If nothing happens in 24 hours, call us back." The phone was activated on Friday around 2pm, so I say, "Ok, sure, will do."

Call back today, just to give it some more time. Several restarts and more testing around where I live - still no 5G service. Finally call this afternoon, go through same procedure - check IMEI, SIM ID, what's your address, etc, etc. 

This was what I was told:

"Sir, you live in a very strong 4G area. The service towers nearest to you are stronger than the 5G service, so you're not getting those 5G towers and the service because its not strong enough. Maybe when they put some more 5G towers in your area, you'll start to see those faster speeds."

I think my eyes rolled so hard then fell out the back of my head. There's no way this could be true. I went back and forth thinking if this was even a possibility. I figured I would post my experience here and see what people have to say about his because:

A) If this has to do with the phone (I highly doubt it) then I need to return this phone and get something that WILL work and give me what I'm paying for.

B) If I'm being hoodwinked, this just means AT&T is misrepresenting their 5G coverage. If this is the case, then I need to change providers and go to T-Mobile or another provider who will give me actual 5G service in my area. 

So any feedback is greatly appreciated. I need to make a decision soon as this is the fourth day using my new phone. There's a lot to love about this phone, but if has to go back, then I need to do so sooner than later. 

What say you?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

32.1K Messages

2 years ago

According to that list if the phone is exact model G8 ThinQ (LM-G820QM) than it might work with a software update. Thought that might only be for VoLTE and not 5G itself.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

2 years ago

It shouldn't work on at&t at all.  

Unlocked phones that will work on AT&T now that 3-g is going away

A t mobile branded phone has different software, and may have different 5g bands. 

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

32.1K Messages

2 years ago

Different providers use different bands/frequencies for their 5G service. Also, as that phone is not on the approved list, likely it will not work at all by February.

You need a phone that is approved to work on AT&T's specific Voice over LTE (VoLTE) service. Doesn't have to be 5G, but if voice calling only supports below VoLTE then it will stop working.

That means you bought an expensive brick.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

32.1K Messages

2 years ago

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

@Juniper 

Actually the model I need is which is on the list is:
V60 ThinQ (LM-V600AM)

The model I have is:
V60 ThinQ (LM-V600TM)

I'm assuming the AM stands for ATT Mobility and the TM stands for TMobile. 

I misread the model number, assuming they would both be the same. 

Thanks for the heads up though and making me take a closer look at the model I needed. Time to ship this back and get an AT&T locked phone. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

2 years ago

Don't waste your money on LG junk.  They have stopped making phones.

ACE - Expert

• 

32.1K Messages

2 years ago

Yes, they have both models listed on the list in separate categories. Either an AT&T specific one is needed or an approved unlocked one.

Same phone for different carriers can have minor but significant differences. For example, my friend and I got the same phone from different carriers, with a key difference being his is Qi wireless charging where mine is PMA.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.