Need your talk or text logs?
Gary L's profile
ACE - Expert

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

Wednesday, August 17th, 2016 5:45 PM

New Mobile Share Advantage plans available Aug. 21 w/ NO data overages (unlimited data at 128 kbps)

New Mobile Share Advantage plans are available August 21, 2016. 

No automatic data overage charges, data drops to 128 kbps and I guess it's unlimited (but I'm thinking they are avoiding that term intentionally). 

Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 1.40.03 PM.png

From http://about.att.com/story/att_introduces_mobile_share_advantage.html

Interesting pricing.

Line charges look like they are $20 a line for all plans.  

• So some lower data plans look more expensive, but you save $5 a line. 
  • Higher data plans look cheaper, but you pay $5 more a line.
  • Looks like (comparing old to new) you'll pay more if you have 3 or more lines (the extra $5 add up), 2 lines is iffy what way it goes.

I'm glad that they got rid of the 300MB plan (with the $20 overages that only brought 300MB more), now for $5 more you get a 1GB plan (it's $10 more but the line fee is $5 less).

But with cheaper plans and higher line fees, people will lose out a little with their FAN discounts.

These are new announced plans, I'm comparing them to current (Aug. 17, 2016) published plans (not retention plans).

Still no Canada roaming built in, that's a little bit of a surprise to me...

Update: It looks like you can't buy additional data overage packs for these plans, it looks like you must pick the correct size or it just slows down (noit excited about that).

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

1 Attachment

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

Cut and pasted from the news release. This is a poorly written paragraph and I think we've all misread it.

"For example, if you have 2 smartphone lines on a current Mobile Share Value 5GB plan for $100 per month, you can now get the new Mobile Share Advantage 6GB plan – 1 additional GB of data for the same price, plus no overages. If you need more data, for $20 more a month, you can get 10GB of data."

It doesn't say you can buy an extra 10GB for $20. They are saying if the 6 GB plan isn't enough for you, you can get the 10 GB plan for a mere $20 more. It is very misleading.

While they don't say it, I imagine that like Verizon's plan, you can add data for X dollars if you don't want to be slowed down to 128 kbps. We'll just have to wait 3 more days to find out.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

Okay... Don't know who the "One star bandit" is, don't care, doesn't matter....But as a point of etiquette, the stars are to mark an answer as quality or not.  This ain't Facebook and stars are not a like/dislike button.  Anyone who marks a one star because he doesn't like a correct and factual answer is misusing the stars.  

Example of a correct and factual answer that has been "disliked."...

image.jpeg

I give out 5 stars all the time.  Everyone on this thread has received a 5 star from me at some point, some of you several times.

The only time I ever gave one star is for someone who gave completely incorrect, bad answers.

@David606 thanks for putting up with us.

1 Attachment

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

@Busternutt wrote:

Cut and pasted from the news release. This is a poorly written paragraph and I think we've all misread it.

"For example, if you have 2 smartphone lines on a current Mobile Share Value 5GB plan for $100 per month, you can now get the new Mobile Share Advantage 6GB plan – 1 additional GB of data for the same price, plus no overages. If you need more data, for $20 more a month, you can get 10GB of data."

It doesn't say you can buy an extra 10GB for $20. They are saying if the 6 GB plan isn't enough for you, you can get the 10 GB plan for a mere $20 more. It is very misleading.

While they don't say it, I imagine that like Verizon's plan, you can add data for X dollars if you don't want to be slowed down to 128 kbps. We'll just have to wait 3 more days to find out.

Unlike the Verizon plan which offers a data boost for $15, (which doesn't roll over).  ATT has set up the plan so that it's a better deal to bump up to the next plan.  Not a bad idea if you think of it.   If you're in the 6 gig plan and you need more, you can go up to the next size plan.  

The benefit is any extra you don't use rolls over for another month.  Verizon's data boost does not roll over.  

It is one good idea in a sea of stolen ideas....

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

RATS! I bet you're correct. 

Good catch @Busternutt !

We'll that answers the other question I had, which was "how do you actually purchase this extra 10GB"?

Can't say I'm a fan of how this works if that's the case (and I don't mean the money loophole I thought I'd found). Just more hassle changing the plan (if you have things added, like Canada Roaming).

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

Well, unfortunately, two or three times a year we go to Florida for a lengthy visit and I have to increase our data for tethering. I may not jump on these new plans right away, but eventually, I won't have any choice.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

Unlike the Verizon plan which offers a data boost for $15, (which doesn't roll over).  ATT has set up the plan so that it's a better deal to bump up to the next plan.  Not a bad idea if you think of it.   If you're in the 6 gig plan and you need more, you can go up to the next size plan.  

The benefit is any extra you don't use rolls over for another month.  Verizon's data boost does not roll over.  

It is one good idea in a sea of stolen ideas....

True, what you don't use roll over if you keep the higher plan. However, if you bump up to the higher plan just for that month then go back down to the lower plan the next month, you would lose that rollover. 

Mentor

• 

96 Messages

8 years ago

I'm super excited about these new plans! I currently am on a promo 60 GB plan because I have 9 phones and an iPad...I noticed there were 80, and 100 GB plans.... any idea on the monthly cost of those? I didn't see it listed anywhere other than they would be available...?

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

So the bonus is no one will compaining about the overage data rolling over because there is no overage block of data.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

There are plans up to 100 GBs.  No prices have been listed yet.  You should price the per gig price on each plan.  We have noticed there is often a "sweet spot" where the per gig price is lowest.  On the current plan, the 15 gig plan is cheapest.  It's cheaper to have 2 15 gig plans than one 30 gig plan.  

Im on a promotional 30 gig plan with 6 phones and 2 tablets.  The new plan would cost me more because my line fees would go up and cost me an extra $30, a net increase of $25 for me.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

@Gary L wrote:

So the bonus is no one will compaining about the overage data rolling over because there is no overage block of data.

Exactly.   Verizon made overage an option, ATT made it disappear.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.