Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!
Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

Wed, Aug 17, 2016 5:45 PM

New Mobile Share Advantage plans available Aug. 21 w/ NO data overages (unlimited data at 128 kbps)

New Mobile Share Advantage plans are available August 21, 2016. 

No automatic data overage charges, data drops to 128 kbps and I guess it's unlimited (but I'm thinking they are avoiding that term intentionally). 

Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 1.40.03 PM.png

From http://about.att.com/story/att_introduces_mobile_share_advantage.html

Interesting pricing.

Line charges look like they are $20 a line for all plans.  

• So some lower data plans look more expensive, but you save $5 a line. 
  • Higher data plans look cheaper, but you pay $5 more a line.
  • Looks like (comparing old to new) you'll pay more if you have 3 or more lines (the extra $5 add up), 2 lines is iffy what way it goes.

I'm glad that they got rid of the 300MB plan (with the $20 overages that only brought 300MB more), now for $5 more you get a 1GB plan (it's $10 more but the line fee is $5 less).

But with cheaper plans and higher line fees, people will lose out a little with their FAN discounts.

These are new announced plans, I'm comparing them to current (Aug. 17, 2016) published plans (not retention plans).

Still no Canada roaming built in, that's a little bit of a surprise to me...

Update: It looks like you can't buy additional data overage packs for these plans, it looks like you must pick the correct size or it just slows down (noit excited about that).

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

1 Attachment

Responses

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago

I'm wondering how many steps have to be done to add the extra data to the plan. You don't want it to be too complicated if you're crawling at 128 kbps!

(Please don't let it be a reply text from anyone on the account!)

• Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.9K Messages

4 years ago

Its nice to see Apple struggle. There sales have went backwards. I think the 7 will not sell well. Unless they learn that 16gb phones are so 2014. What a widget is and how to make a customizable lock screen and a whole phone for that matter and a app drawer. I look for Samsung to keep out selling Apple in q3 2016. Now back to the programing.
pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

4 years ago

@Gary L wrote:

I'm wondering how many steps have to be done to add the extra data to the plan. You don't want it to be too complicated if you're crawling at 128 kbps!

(Please don't let it be a reply text from anyone on the account!)

Yeah, interesting question. 
Not sure about Verizon, but on TMobile this is a really slick interface on their website.  

You just choose the number of bucket(s) you want to add, and say "buy" and you're done, maybe 2-3 clicks, tops.  You can go back, and add more too, same deal, and then you're just back on your regular plan, next biling cycle.

Hopefully they take the cue...

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago

Fifty-Million iPhones is not struggling... They just sold their billionth iPhone a few weeks ago.

After going forwards the last five years they have to take a step backwards (or two), I'm okay with that. How could have possibly sustained the huge growth that they repeated constantly in a market that they've never been a part of? Anyone who acts suprised that this eventually would happen couldn't have really thinking about it. 

When people act like a bad quarter is 50,000,000 iPhones, I'm not sure how to respond to that.  

Other than thinking ONE BILLION !!!

I don't mind Samsung, bananas or lucky charms outselling them it has no impact on my experience or the flavor of my Kool-Aid  🙂

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

4 years ago

I'm no iOS fan, quite the opposite, as many know ;-]

With Win Phone faltering though, we need Apple, like it or not, to keep things evolving, IMO (I can't believe I'm actually typing this ;-]).

If Android becomes the only real game, I think it will falter too, at least somewhat, for awhile, I'd bet.

The one thing it's got going for it is that it's still rooted in public-domain, so it can evolve, even if companies building phones slow things, if people introduce cool stuff, it's got a good chance to get merged.

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago

@Busternutt wrote:

@Looking at the new plan, I would settle for 1 GB again and switch to the 16GB ($10 cheaper than the current 15 GB @ $100) when we travel

You don't even need to switch plans, you can just add the extra 10GB for $20 for the trip and not need to switch back (it's only 11GB though).  Or tack on another 10GB on top (if you can) if you need it.

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago

Am I thinking about this wrong? On most of these plans wouldn't you be better off getting one of the lower plans and adding 10GB for $20???

Get 1 GB for $30 then

• add 10GB for $20 and now you have an 11GB plan for $50?
  • add another 10GB and you've got 21GB for $70?
  • 31GB for $90?
  • and so on...

No FAN discount on the extra data (or rollover probably) but still...

Not talk/text to Mexico/Canada either.

Am I missing something??

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

4 years ago

@Gary L wrote:

Am I thinking about this wrong? On most of these plans wouldn't you be better off getting one of the lower plans and adding 10GB for $20???

Get 1 GB for $30 then

• add 10GB for $20 and now you have an 11GB plan for $50?
  • add another 10GB and you've got 21GB for $70?
  • 31GB for $90?
  • and so on...

No FAN discount on the extra data (or rollover probably) but still...

Not talk/text to Mexico/Canada either.

Am I missing something??

Good catch, I didn't even really look at the plans <10GB, but you're right, why not just get a really small plan, and add, per-month, it sure looks like 31GB for 90 to me too...

Weird, I can't imagine people didn't review this, maybe there's a catch somewhere, in more small print, about back-to-back overages and consequences?

DJBeefdip

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

4 years ago

I guess I'll go with this plan as I have 2 phones paying $25 a line so I'lll be saving $10.

DJBeefdip

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

4 years ago

@David606

uh yeah line fees shouldn't exist in the first place. real greedy train of thought that your service is such hot **** that it's a luxary to have a device connected to the service your already paying for while forcing most people to buy phones from you in the first place.

Busternutt

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

4 years ago

Cut and pasted from the news release. This is a poorly written paragraph and I think we've all misread it.

"For example, if you have 2 smartphone lines on a current Mobile Share Value 5GB plan for $100 per month, you can now get the new Mobile Share Advantage 6GB plan – 1 additional GB of data for the same price, plus no overages. If you need more data, for $20 more a month, you can get 10GB of data."

It doesn't say you can buy an extra 10GB for $20. They are saying if the 6 GB plan isn't enough for you, you can get the 10 GB plan for a mere $20 more. It is very misleading.

While they don't say it, I imagine that like Verizon's plan, you can add data for X dollars if you don't want to be slowed down to 128 kbps. We'll just have to wait 3 more days to find out.

"Customers helping customers; not always successfully"
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

81.5K Messages

4 years ago

Okay... Don't know who the "One star bandit" is, don't care, doesn't matter....But as a point of etiquette, the stars are to mark an answer as quality or not.  This ain't Facebook and stars are not a like/dislike button.  Anyone who marks a one star because he doesn't like a correct and factual answer is misusing the stars.  

Example of a correct and factual answer that has been "disliked."...

image.jpeg

I give out 5 stars all the time.  Everyone on this thread has received a 5 star from me at some point, some of you several times.

The only time I ever gave one star is for someone who gave completely incorrect, bad answers.

@David606 thanks for putting up with us.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

81.5K Messages

4 years ago

@Busternutt wrote:

Cut and pasted from the news release. This is a poorly written paragraph and I think we've all misread it.

"For example, if you have 2 smartphone lines on a current Mobile Share Value 5GB plan for $100 per month, you can now get the new Mobile Share Advantage 6GB plan – 1 additional GB of data for the same price, plus no overages. If you need more data, for $20 more a month, you can get 10GB of data."

It doesn't say you can buy an extra 10GB for $20. They are saying if the 6 GB plan isn't enough for you, you can get the 10 GB plan for a mere $20 more. It is very misleading.

While they don't say it, I imagine that like Verizon's plan, you can add data for X dollars if you don't want to be slowed down to 128 kbps. We'll just have to wait 3 more days to find out.

Unlike the Verizon plan which offers a data boost for $15, (which doesn't roll over).  ATT has set up the plan so that it's a better deal to bump up to the next plan.  Not a bad idea if you think of it.   If you're in the 6 gig plan and you need more, you can go up to the next size plan.  

The benefit is any extra you don't use rolls over for another month.  Verizon's data boost does not roll over.  

It is one good idea in a sea of stolen ideas....

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago

RATS! I bet you're correct. 

Good catch @Busternutt !

We'll that answers the other question I had, which was "how do you actually purchase this extra 10GB"?

Can't say I'm a fan of how this works if that's the case (and I don't mean the money loophole I thought I'd found). Just more hassle changing the plan (if you have things added, like Canada Roaming).

Busternutt

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

4 years ago

Well, unfortunately, two or three times a year we go to Florida for a lengthy visit and I have to increase our data for tethering. I may not jump on these new plans right away, but eventually, I won't have any choice.

"Customers helping customers; not always successfully"

Get started...

Ask a new question