Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!
Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

Wed, Aug 17, 2016 5:45 PM

New Mobile Share Advantage plans available Aug. 21 w/ NO data overages (unlimited data at 128 kbps)

New Mobile Share Advantage plans are available August 21, 2016. 

No automatic data overage charges, data drops to 128 kbps and I guess it's unlimited (but I'm thinking they are avoiding that term intentionally). 

Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 1.40.03 PM.png

From http://about.att.com/story/att_introduces_mobile_share_advantage.html

Interesting pricing.

Line charges look like they are $20 a line for all plans.  

• So some lower data plans look more expensive, but you save $5 a line. 
  • Higher data plans look cheaper, but you pay $5 more a line.
  • Looks like (comparing old to new) you'll pay more if you have 3 or more lines (the extra $5 add up), 2 lines is iffy what way it goes.

I'm glad that they got rid of the 300MB plan (with the $20 overages that only brought 300MB more), now for $5 more you get a 1GB plan (it's $10 more but the line fee is $5 less).

But with cheaper plans and higher line fees, people will lose out a little with their FAN discounts.

These are new announced plans, I'm comparing them to current (Aug. 17, 2016) published plans (not retention plans).

Still no Canada roaming built in, that's a little bit of a surprise to me...

Update: It looks like you can't buy additional data overage packs for these plans, it looks like you must pick the correct size or it just slows down (noit excited about that).

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

1 Attachment

Responses

Rayosun

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

4 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 - Yes, the reality is every carrier map is exaggerated. But how often are you asking "will I have coverage in XYZ location?" When it comes to Coverage, AT&T still has the upper hand and that is not changing any time soon.

T-Mobile has made strides and I'm in no way denying that, but they have a ton of work to do that will go beyond year end. Their "fair" coverage is very often my refered to "no coverage". AT&T has their fair share of issues but not as much as T-Mobile does, especially indoors.
~Sunshine :)
pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

4 years ago

@David606 wrote:

The line fee is meant to simplify things. No more $15 discount on these plans and $25 discount on those plans.

$20 splits the difference. So now everyone's line fee is identical and the same. Don't see an issue with it.

@David606 Yeah, so you're saying my plan is now $5 more (if I wanted the data-overrun-protection, and to switch), what exactly do I get for it, 4 less GB overall, hmm...

Oh, yeah, and I might not be able to have Canada anymore either, since no one will talk about that publicly, we don't know if/how that works with the new plans either.

I don't see how this is a "value" to most on the middle-tier plans?

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

4 years ago

@Rayosun wrote:
@GLIMMERMAN76 - Yes, the reality is every carrier map is exaggerated. But how often are you asking "will I have coverage in XYZ location?" When it comes to Coverage, AT&T still has the upper hand and that is not changing any time soon.

T-Mobile has made strides and I'm in no way denying that, but they have a ton of work to do that will go beyond year end. Their "fair" coverage is very often my refered to "no coverage". AT&T has their fair share of issues but not as much as T-Mobile does, especially indoors.

My experience was the opposite.  I had 3-4 times the bandwidth, indoors, with T-Mobile (for my one-month foray, about 6 months back), almost all Band 12.  I also had a lot of cool features, like being able to tell my daughter she could stream as much as she wanted to, on her services, and being able "speed-check", for tethering, mentioned above.

My rural coverage was really poor though, that's the part I don't see changing anytime soon, but in urban and suburban areas, I saw dramatically better coverage, indoors and out.

AT&T rural coverage isn't "awesome", compared to the other of the big 3, if you ask me, but it's "adequate".  T-Mobile just happens to be poor, and unfortunately their partner deals make it much worse, since if you roam domestically, they cap it at 200MB, even on a larger plan, which is just about zilch, if you tether.

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago

@pgrey It's not really fair to compare a retention plan to this plan, you need to compare the current published plans if you want a fair compairison...

I've been doing that too...

• Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

4 years ago

@Gary L Yeah, that's fair, but okay, it's still 16GB for $5 more then, if you remove my retention deal.

I'm pretty sure the "per-line" taxes and such are more too, they get a different rate, at least in our state, so that's a bit more too, say another few $.

I'm clearly not moving off the plan anytime soon, between that and the "Canada issue".

I've almost always moved before, to the newer plans, because you got more value, for equal or less money, but in this case, it's less value, for more money.  

This is where I do figure in retentions, to some extent anyway, since that's my reality.  I think it's common knowledge about some retentions deals out there too.

It sure seems like others might draw similar charts/conclusions too?

I just looked at Verizon, and it's 150 (same cost), for 4 lines (NOT 3), and 16GB of data, which would cost you 170, on the AT&T deal.  I could add in a non-household family member, for the same cost.

Am I not seeing something in the math?

Rayosun

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

4 years ago

@pgrey - The 16GB deal Verizon is offering is with the L 8GB plan and after the 2GB bonus data per line is added. You would have to pay $2 per line for Canada/Mexico.

As far as coverage, it definitely is geared toward coverage outside the urban areas even though in some areas it's not really making too much difference. Only because of the downward tilt T-Mobile does when deploying Band 12 and it is also a 5x5 channel. Not much capacity there.
~Sunshine :)
Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago

@pgrey No one is asking you to switch 😉

Math wise, it seems a little better for the lower data plans. And for the larger plans with 1 or 2 lines (and sometimes not even then), then it seems to taper off. 

Plus with the plans lower price, your FAN isn't as valuable on the higher plans (you lose a dollar or two). I'm wondering about taxes too, it seems like the bulk of the taxes are on the lines, is that going to be 33% more?  (I've not really looked at this very much)

For business lines, one part made it look like it's still $15 a line, so that's a deal (although if business and it's NOT a smart phone, it's $20 a month!).

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

4 years ago

@Rayosun wrote:
@pgrey - The 16GB deal Verizon is offering is with the L 8GB plan and after the 2GB bonus data per line is added. You would have to pay $2 per line for Canada/Mexico.

As far as coverage, it definitely is geared toward coverage outside the urban areas even though in some areas it's not really making too much difference. Only because of the downward tilt T-Mobile does when deploying Band 12 and it is also a 5x5 channel. Not much capacity there.

Yeah, but I could pay $15/device for the month, say for 3 devices, that's $45 total.

Or, I could pay $8x3, for $24, for a 4 day trip, and use all my data.

That's it then, I get to use my whole plan, in Canada, for that month, or those 4 days.

If I were on the new AT&T plan, and couldn't get the retention deal for Canada, then it would cost $120/line/month, for 800MB of data, or $360, for 2.4GB.

Hmm...

I could also use WiFi calling/texting with my devices, in Canada and elsewhere, so that would be an ENORMOUS value, that's just a "freebie".

I'm not saying I'm going anywhere here, but I am a little distressed, looking at these, as it's apparent that if I wanted to adjust my plan for some reason, it would now cost me more, and possibly be a giant headache (the whole Canada deal, other retentions bonuses, etc).

Hopefully the plans will shift, again, for the better...

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

4 years ago

@Gary L wrote:

@pgrey No one is asking you to swich 😉

Plus with the plans lower price, your FAN isn't as valuable on the higher plans (you lose a dollar or two). I'm wondering about taxes too, it seems like the bulk of the taxes are on the lines, is that going to be 33% more?  (I've not really looked at this very much)

For business lines, one part made it look like it's still $15 a line, so that's a deal (although if business and it's NOT a smart phone, it's $20 a month!).

Yeah, I was going to mention the taxes/per-line deal, it's about 300% the rate of the taxes/plan deal, so that's going to be more too.  If you have a lot of lines, that could really add up, but either way, it's more, simply put.

It's weird, I just don't get how this is supposed to look like a "response" to the other carriers changes?  To me, it looks like smoke/mirrors.

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago

They're not saying it is a response, they're saying it's simplifying.  

And it is simpler:

• No overages.
  • Extra data is decently priced (from $15 for 1 GB to $2 a GB [quan 10!]).
  • All lines are the same price.
  • It's slow, but you never run out of data.
  • No more 300MB plans(!).

To keep these even simpler, they need to not let people (that still owe on phones) on these plans. That whole extra charge thing is too confusing for people, let 'em pay off the phone, let 'em off the hook or convert it to a Next payment plan and get them with the current program...

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

4 years ago

@Gary L wrote:

They're not saying it is a response, they're saying it's simplifying.

To keep these even simpler, they need to not let people (that still owe on phones) on these plans. That whole extra charge thing is too confusing for people, let 'em pay off the phone, let 'em off the hook or convert it to a Next payment plan and get them with the current program...

Yeah, good point.  I think I was generalizing, I was reading some articles that were talking about it being a "response" to new pricing on competitors, but you're right, that's not called out there at all.

Yeah, that pricing for phones with payments is going to be even harder to explain than the Next deal, no question...

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

81.5K Messages

4 years ago

@pgrey

@Rayosun

@pgrey wrote:

@Rayosun wrote:

Yeah, but I could pay $15/device for the month, say for 3 devices, that's $45 total.

Or, I could pay $8x3, for $24, for a 4 day trip, and use all my data.

That's it then, I get to use my whole plan, in Canada, for that month, or those 4 days.

If I were on the new AT&T plan, and couldn't get the retention deal for Canada, then it would cost $120/line/month, for 800MB of data, or $360, for 2.4GB.

Hmm...

I could also use WiFi calling/texting with my devices, in Canada and elsewhere, so that would be an ENORMOUS value, that's just a "freebie".

I'm not saying I'm going anywhere here, but I am a little distressed, looking at these, as it's apparent that if I wanted to adjust my plan for some reason, it would now cost me more, and possibly be a giant headache (the whole Canada deal, other retentions bonuses, etc).

Hopefully the plans will shift, again, for the better...

Like any deal, read the fine print.  I know someone who just switched to Verizon with 4 lines.  To get the bonus data, you have to buy phones on device payments.  The went for 4 $168 Samsung phones at $7 each per month.  

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

4 years ago

So with the people that have one of the older plans and promotions (the 3 gig +3 gig promotions) they pay a $25 dollar access fee. Will that automatically go down to $20 dollars? Or to save that $5 you have to go to a new plan?

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago

@ThePhantomMoose Sorry, your current plan has nothing to do with these plans, you can't pick and chose options from different plans and build your own.  

You stick with what you have or switch to something these.

Or if you've been thinking you want one of the other current plans, grab it now before they're gone...

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

Actually they made 2 last year. They will make 3 this year

You're correct with both those statements,

but the actually makes it sound like you're saying I'm not correct (and that's the important part!).

I said "they've made 3 in the last year" (6s, 6s Plus, and SE)

I think that's correct 🙂

Get started...

Ask a new question