Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!
Gary L

ACE - Expert

 • 

15.8K Messages

Wed, Aug 17, 2016 5:45 PM

New Mobile Share Advantage plans available Aug. 21 w/ NO data overages (unlimited data at 128 kbps)

New Mobile Share Advantage plans are available August 21, 2016. 

 

No automatic data overage charges, data drops to 128 kbps and I guess it's unlimited (but I'm thinking they are avoiding that term intentionally). 

 

Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 1.40.03 PM.png

 From http://about.att.com/story/att_introduces_mobile_share_advantage.html

 

Interesting pricing.

 

Line charges look like they are $20 a line for all plans.  

  • So some lower data plans look more expensive, but you save $5 a line. 
  • Higher data plans look cheaper, but you pay $5 more a line.
  • Looks like (comparing old to new) you'll pay more if you have 3 or more lines (the extra $5 add up), 2 lines is iffy what way it goes.

I'm glad that they got rid of the 300MB plan (with the $20 overages that only brought 300MB more), now for $5 more you get a 1GB plan (it's $10 more but the line fee is $5 less).

 

But with cheaper plans and higher line fees, people will lose out a little with their FAN discounts.

 

These are new announced plans, I'm comparing them to current (Aug. 17, 2016) published plans (not retention plans).

 

Still no Canada roaming built in, that's a little bit of a surprise to me...

 

Update: It looks like you can't buy additional data overage packs for these plans, it looks like you must pick the correct size or it just slows down (noit excited about that).

  • Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

1 Attachment

Responses

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

 • 

20.9K Messages

4 years ago

I get 10 to 15 phones a year lol.  I was just saying jump on demand has its pluses since tons of people get 3 phones a year.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Gary L

ACE - Expert

 • 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 The only people who I know that get 3 phones a year are the klutzes that break 3 phones a year!

  • Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

 • 

81.5K Messages

4 years ago

How about wifi calling, radio, and complete compatibility for non carrier phones.

 

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

 • 

20.9K Messages

4 years ago

You use iPhones they only make 1 phone a year.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
pgrey

ACE - Master

 • 

3.5K Messages

4 years ago


@GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:
Binge on! Jump on demand is another one. Being able to change phones 3 times in a year is huge. Has anyone read tmobiles CEO comments on this joke of a plan change?

Yep, and free speed tests, which are really handy, for those of us that tether from several fixed locations, and are trying to find the "spot of the day".

And allowing un-branded phones to have VoLTE, and WiFi calling/texting too.

 

The 20/line charge would actually make this *more* expensive than what will be my "grandfathered" plan, on 8/21, and that's not even going into what it would take to get my Canada deal figured out again, if they would even re-add it.

 

It's pretty sneaky, if you ask me, that 16GB deal is made to look like a really great plan, until you add 60 for 3 lines, and then it's 150, which makes the old 15GB or even 20GB plan a pretty screaming deal.

I could see why it's being mocked, because if you actually "run the numbers" well...

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
pgrey

ACE - Master

 • 

3.5K Messages

4 years ago


@lizdance40 wrote:

How about wifi calling, radio, and complete compatibility for non carrier phones.

 


YES, this is HUGE for me, the one reason I'm constantly looking around, considering options, since it seems like every carrier *except* AT&T is getting onboard with these features, they're becoming the "Standard", while AT&T still thinks they're just "luxury items".

Not being able to make/receive a call/text, when I have great WiFi, isn't a "luxury item", by any measure, IMHO.  

Not being able to anything on a great band 17 connection, in terms of communication, also ins't a "luxury", unless you have an iPhone, or a very small subset of branded phones.

"I'm sorry, you don't have an iPhone, well try about a half mile up the road, there's a better tower for you, over there" ;-]

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Gary L

ACE - Expert

 • 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 Actually, they've made 3 in the last year, but I get your point! 

 

I just try to pick the one I need and test the heck out of it before the 14 day return period ends. 

 

@pgrey It's not like they're trying to make us switch. And certainly not an option for anyone with a 20GB deal, until they have new options at least...

 

Who knows if they'll actually let people get Canada on these plans, I'd guess yes, but you never know...

  • Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

 • 

20.9K Messages

4 years ago

@Gary L Actually they made 2 last year. They will make 3 this year.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
pgrey

ACE - Master

 • 

3.5K Messages

4 years ago


@Gary L wrote:

 

 

@pgrey It's not like they're trying to make us switch. And certainly not an option for anyone with a 20GB deal, until they have new options at least...

 

Who knows if they'll actually let people get Canada on these plans, I'd guess yes, but you never know...


Agreed, just hoping I won't need to change my plan, for ANY reason, because it would seem like getting back to your original (working) plan at that point wouldn't be possible.

 

Yeah, I'd guess so on Canada too, but I'm with an ealier poster, everyone except AT&T has a decent International story now, yet AT&T is still trying to sell those "extra" Passport plans, which don't even seem to work very well (there was a post a couple of days ago about someone who bought one, and ended up wracking up $45 calls to CSR to get it working, from overseas, and then another big chunk, when it failed to ever work at all).

 

It's weird, up until now, it always seemed like the newer plans were a better deal (maybe not dramatic, but sitll better), but this one is the reverse, it would cost me more, for less, and maybe no Canada too...

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
David606

Employee

 • 

3.5K Messages

4 years ago

The line fee is meant to simplify things. No more $15 discount on these plans and $25 discount on those plans.

 

$20 splits the difference. So now everyone's line fee is identical and the same. Don't see an issue with it.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Gary L

ACE - Expert

 • 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago

@David606 If you have 5 lines on a plan, it's an extra $25 every month, it adds up.

 

On a lower priced plan, it's the rare few that would have put 5 smarphones on a $50 plan, even with cautious people you'd hit overages. Plus, while the lower priced plans fee dropped some of those plans went up (it's a wash for some or a $5-$10 difference).

 

On the higher data plans with one or two lines, not much of a difference (even a savings). But as you add more lines those higher data plans get more expensive.

 

The 15GB data plan for $100 is now $90 (with extra 1 GB), but 3 lines the old way = $145 whie it's $150 the new way; and extra $5 for each additional line. 

  • Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Busternutt

Professor

 • 

3.2K Messages

4 years ago

The upside is plans are like the weather. Like we say in Indiana, wait 15 minutes and it will change Smiley LOL



"Customers helping customers; not always successfully"
GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

 • 

20.9K Messages

4 years ago


@David606 wrote:

T-Mobile will have rural coverage anywhere close to Verizon or AT&T? Not happening by the end of the year. Comparable means covering small towns and remote areas in the fringes. Not just expanding suburb and exurb coverage. T-Mobile has to depend on giving away the farm in order to maintain it's current rate of growth. Lots of millenial hype and catering to younger, urban types. Net subscriber additions does not equal inscreased revenue however. It's that father of 3 college aged kids in his 60s that is the customer who brings in the true revenue. The person who wants to purchase his devices in store from a representative that sits down and shows him his new device.

 

Not sure what kind of innovation anyone is expecting. AT&T is never going to get into a discounting price war with psuedo-national carriers. Marketing hype and praise from glorified technology blogs means squat if you ask me.

 

This plan is obviously a means to match Verizon's no overage plans. So what. Gimmicks are nice for rapid growth but not exactly balance sheet friendly. T-Mobile running over anyone else is nice for a laugh. I guess if everyone on Howard Forums or Engadget say it in unison loud enough it may convince naive souls to believe it.


@David606

 

You are deluded if you think the 20-40 age people dont bring in more money.  Here lets look at who made more money last quarter.  I think you will find Tmobile is doing better than ATT when it comes to financials....

 

tmoearn.JPGattearn.JPG

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

 • 

20.9K Messages

4 years ago


@Rayosun wrote:
When we say T-Mobile is "closing the gap fast", are we referring to T-Mobile's coverage map? If so, it is totally unreliable. Fair coverage by them is either very little or no service. I've seen the complain on other boards time and time again. But hey, unlimited data is unlimited data.

@Rayosun

 

you realize ATT has this problem to right?

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Gary L

ACE - Expert

 • 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 I don't consider $2.6 billion to be worrysome (up or down %1.7), numbers like 5-10% consistantly in the down direction, now that's an issue.  

  • Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question