Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.
bigstein77

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Wed, Apr 15, 2015 12:34 PM

my phone is adding an extra 1 before phone numbers on text messages

hi i need help with fixing my phone. this problem started today. when some one textes me its comes up with the area code and the 7 didget phone number but it doesnt look like this +1 5** *******. it comes up as +115*********. i try and text to the number but it wont let me so i have to go to my old messages with the person in order to send them a text message. please help this is very frustrating.

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Responses

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Every time I send a text to a number with the format (XXX) XXX-XXXX it's fine till they send a text back. When they reply it adds +11 to the beginning of their number. This is on a Galaxy S4
matmantn

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

As a workaround, You can delete the message thread each time it shows the bad number and start fresh with a new message. The text will go through without a problem. Unfortunately, you will lose the previous messages in the conversation (but at least you can text).

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Happining to me, by getting texts from a Sprint user.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Mine doing the same thing. It must be an AT&T problem. Several different types of phones here.

Mine is a Lumia 830

Are they doing anything about it?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

SOLUTION:

this does not happen if you switch your default messaging device to Google Hangouts or another 'non-stock' messaging app.  other apps do not find it necessary to include the country code (the +1) and therefor do not have this issue.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I'm having the same issue. Texts I get from people with a different carrier come through with an extra 1 in the beginning of their number. If I text someone who has AT&T it's fine.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I am having the same issue. Not sure what is going on, but does anyone know if it will be fixed??

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Hi,

I am having a issue with receiving text messages on my Samsung Galaxy S5. When I send a text to a contact, it goes through fine. However, when that person responds, it is not inside the text message conversation. The way that the texts are received as in a separate conversation, but the contact name is removed & is replaced with just their number. However, the number is listed differently. If the contact number is 999-999-9999 it is saved in my phone +1 999-999-9999 (this is the default of how it is saved), and when the text message is received, it shows up as +119999999999. It is very strange as it has the correct phone number, but has an extra 1 after the internation code of +1. If I try to respond to that text, I receive another text telling me it is not a valid number. So, I have to go back to the contact I texted and send my response. So, essentially, I have two conversations open to text. One is where I send the texts to the contact, and then the other is the response I get from the contact.

This is happening with all of my text messages. I cannot find anything about this. Help!

matmantn

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

SOLUTION (workaround):

As a workaround, You can delete the message thread each time it shows the bad number and start fresh with a new message. The text will go through without a problem. Unfortunately, you will lose the previous messages in the conversation (but at least you can text).

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

All my contacts in my phone are already +1 and not for some reason when people text me it's +11.. How can I fix this? I have turned my phone off and on and everything. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

never mind... it groups them together properly, but by default sends to the most recent recieved, which still has that extra 1... so it is an issue with the ATT distribution of numbers (i.e. a cell tower issue) not a phone software issue.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Did a large update (maybe the lollipop update?) yesterday.  After phone reboot I cannot reply to any new text messages without the following error: ""error invlaid number. please re-send usinga valid 10 digit mobile number or valid short code"  

It looks like it is autmatically adding a +11 to every outgoing text reply.  To reply I have to delete the thread, and create a new text message.  If they respond to that - I have to do the same over and over.  

Its very frustrating.  Hoping someone can help me please:) Thanks!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I'm having the same issue, a friend recommended a factory reset since it was such a huge update last night.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

It's happening in Texas too.   Gotta be an AT&T network issue since other carriers are receiving my texts normally.    Anyone having this problem on iPhone?

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Same thing.  Galaxy Note 4 in Alabama.  Texting AT&T people with no problem.  Verizon is a no-go.  I blame Obama.

Get started...

Ask a new question