Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Get to the head of the class with our Back to School deals!
bigstein77

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Wed, Apr 15, 2015 12:34 PM

my phone is adding an extra 1 before phone numbers on text messages

hi i need help with fixing my phone. this problem started today. when some one textes me its comes up with the area code and the 7 didget phone number but it doesnt look like this +1 5** *******. it comes up as +115*********. i try and text to the number but it wont let me so i have to go to my old messages with the person in order to send them a text message. please help this is very frustrating.

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ms_unicorn

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

5 years ago

Hello, everyone!

This issue should now be resolved. Do not reply to the affected text messages; simply start a new message thread, and it should work.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

The question is NOT resolved.

• 

2 Messages

Five years later and nobody knows how to fix this issue.  Eleven pages of everyone having the same problem and no answer on how to fix it.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

5 years ago

Hey, everyone!

Thanks for posting your messaging concerns. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Because of the additional number one that was added in the messaging thread, you’ll want to please delete any existing messaging thread that contains that additional number and power your phone off for several minutes. Once it’s back on and has signal, begin a new message to prevent any sending failure.

To delete a message thread on an Android phone, tap messaging on the phone, then press and hold the message, you'll then tap delete on the screen.

To delete a message thread on iOS, tap messages, tap edit on the upper left of the screen, then tap the message you wish to delete and tap delete on the bottom right.

To delete a message thread on Windows, tap Messaging,

Under Threads, do one of the following:

Tap to the left of one or more messages or threads to select each one, then tap Delete.

Tap and hold the message or thread you want to delete, then tap Delete.

Tap Delete to confirm.

If this does not resolve your issue, please send me a private message by Clicking Here and include the following information:

Your cellular or account number

Your full name

A good alternate contact number

The best date and time to contact you

Thanks!

Charise

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTHelp and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I am having the same exact issue. It started today. I restart my phone after my phone adds that extra '1' in front of my contact. After a few text exchanges, it adds it again and the message bounces back. What kind of phone do you have? I have the Galaxy S6

bigstein77

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

galaxy s3 but when i  restart the phone it does nothing to it

Anonymous

• 

25.7K Messages

5 years ago

I'm having the same issue. I have a Galaxy S5

bigstein77

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

does any one know how to fix this problem??

Voyager

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Same problem here. Galaxy S4 active. Live in albany, ny area

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Same here. Started this morning any resolutions? Someone... Anyone... pretty please
bigstein77

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

i also live in albany new york 

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Same problem here. I have a Galaxy S4 Active and live in Maine. The only texts that I'm receiving normally are from another AT&T user with an iPhone.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

same, I am not having the issue with other ATT users, but people have tested with mulitple people on verizon, and all incoming messages come in as +1 1 xxx-xxx-xxxx

matmantn

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Same problem with Nokia 1520 Windows Phone. Must be an AT&T thing. My Verizon work phone (Windows) is working fine.

bigstein77

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

i have a verizon phone but i switched to at&t is this because its a verizion phone ????

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Same thing happening to me. Started this morning. I live in Michigan and have a Note 3.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

same thing here......S6 edge.....some of my contacts are intermittent others not at all....no problems til this morning

Get started...

Ask a new question