For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
Richardensley's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, May 7th, 2016 4:22 PM

Missing hotspot with Unlimited Data plan

My personal hotspot is missing since I upgraded cell plan to unlimited data.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

@jmhiphone5

@jmhiphone5 wrote:
Oh my goodness! This is so unethical! Perhaps this is a perfect time to switch to Verizon. How can they present included features like a hotspot and in my case, I actually had one...and then just remove it? Seems illegal too! I find that BBB complaints help as those in the company just give you the run-around!

It is not unethical, or illegal.  It is the conditions of both the old and new unlimited data plan.   Both BBB and the FCC won't pay any attention to such a complaint as it's totally within ATT rights. 

It was listed in 4 places that you cannot use your hotspot,  (see my pictures above). 

The analogy.....

You just bough a plate at an all you can eat buffet - you can't feed others off your plate and no doggy bags.  

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

Even if AT&T were to allow a small bit of tethering like Sprint, 3 or 5 gigabytes, there would still be dissent. Expectation that wireless can be a substitute for wired broadband is a sentiment among a lot of consumers, yet that is technically one of the most improbable things ever. 

"Throttling" rarely happens to anyone to be honest so it's wide open LTE for a majority of users on unlimited. However that doesn't mean hundreds of gigs shared among a bunch of devices is going to be possible for the carrier. Data bandwidth is still a resource that costs. In areas where AT&T has no internet backbone they must purchase bandwidth from local ISPs, other telecoms, etc. In fact all carriers must do this. Where I live if Windstream has a major outage my phone won't have data either. It's a fact of life in rural areas. Cable and DSL companies have little incentive to provide service because the raw numbers of potential users is low. Still wireless is only an option if someone is willing to accept the costs. If you want cellular data for a computer, game console or WiFi tablet you'll need a plan that is metered essentially. It's a fact that isn't going away, more than likely forever. 

Even with T-Mobile's 14 gigabyte tethering allowance what can that get someone? It's not allowing nightly Netflix or Hulu binges or downloading games from Steam or Xbox Live, etc. Those types of file transfers were not what most in the industry had in mind when mobile hotspot is mentioned. They're thinking of web browsing, checking e-mail, maybe a short session streaming a film. Data transfers that happen in bursts, not full speed bandwidth every minute, second, etc.

The carriers have the right to establish usage policies as they see fit. Wireless is not a utility like home telephone. Just paying for an unlimited plan does not grant the right to freely invite other devices to the table. The FCC won't be regulating this because they have no right to. AT&T was fined over notifications about slowing speeds down, not limiting tethering. Point of demarcation matters and when data passes through a phone on it's way to something else, that other devices becomes connected to the network. The carrier can dictate what it will allow to connect to that network. I always say go with what fits your needs, don't stay with a carrier hoping for a policy change because that rarely happens. If you need hotspot and unlimited then another carrier may offer a better solution. However no carrier has a plan that's will allow tethering to be used as a replacement for wired broadband. Cellular will never be that.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

8 years ago

I think the fears of AT&T are grossly over rated.  I am (what I consider) one of their most loyal customers since I have a "grandfathered" unlimited data plan.  I rarely use more than 2GB per month and my monthly bill for 4 phones is approximately $275/month.  I have a Verison MiFi Card that I pay $35 per month for 3 GB that I rarely use more than 2GB of data.  I use it as a WIFi when I travel.  About twice per year I will use 4 or 5 GB/month when I travel for which I pay $10/GB that month.  It does gall me to have to pay for the Verizon Card when I feel that I use my AT&T account responsibilibly.  When I travel I carry a laptop and I need to be able to connect it.  The thought of taking my business all to another carrier (including Verizon) has occurred to me.  Incidently, I was told by an AT&T representative (and it is documented in my records) that I could tether my devices before I purchased my last iPhone and was told that I had been told incorrectly when I called to tether my devices.  Bill

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

@wrrector

Whoever told you, you could tether on your plan, up until your last upgrade was mis-informed (I'm being diplomatic there).  

While ATT did have some unlimited air cards way back in the day, ATT introduced the unlimited data plan and immediately took away tethering.  

Honestly, it seems you are spending a lot of money for 4 gigs of data a month. 

With the cost of data coming down, it's time to look at the new plans.  In your case you must be paying $150 just for service.  You could cut your bill in half and dump the hotspot.  

$20 line fee for one phone and 6 gigs of data would be about $85 a month. 

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html

Another user gave up his unlimited so he could tether.  @Gary L has no regrets.

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

Doesn't matter if a rep states this because the terms as written on the website, in writing, are what applies. It has never been an option.

You can say your usage is "fair" or "acceptable" but it doesn't change the fact that a small fraction of users are the ones who will ruin this for everyone else. A small percentage of users will abuse the system and to keep the network experience the same for everyone, it's just not allowed.

Verizon doesn't allow tethering on unlimited plans either. The other carriers do not allow true unlimited tethering usage either. There isn't a single cellular provider who grants completely unlimited data with as much tethering as you want.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

8 years ago

She was mistaken when she told me that, no question about it.  It is in my record.  I am not upset at her, she was just mistaken.  Obviously, I am an old guy.  I am an admirer of Demming, who turned Japan around after WWII.  One of his tenants was to choose a vendor and stick with that vendor and you will be rewarded.  It appears that times have changed and I doubt that anyone on the Board of AT&T has ever heard of Demming or his philosophy.  I should go to another vendor but I hate to give up my unlimited data plan; it is a badge of loyality.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

8 years ago

Has any vendor ever tried it?  Perhaps human nature may fool you.  Those of us who remain "grandfathered" with unlimited plans are a loyal bunch and I bet those would not abuse the privilege.  Besides, there are safeguards in place, such a significant, speed cutbacks when excessive use occurs.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

Loyalty comes in many forms.  Hanging on to an old plan that doesn't benefit you is not what AT&T wants if the plan doesn't suit you.  

If you are dedicated to AT&T, then go all in, dump the Verizon hotspot and try the current plan.

I assume you mean William Deming.  He was an engineer and also born in Iowa, just like my dad.  Also an expert in statistics, author, and professor among many other achievements.  My dad was a life long learner and had great respect for logic and education.    A highly intelligent and practical man who appreciated innovation.  Not someone who got mired in "loyalty" that was not also practical and functional.  

In short, he would have told you to re-evaluate your plan quite a while ago.  

(My dad used to debate with my sister and I over the dinner table.  Just an exercise in logic and reason)

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

8 years ago

You are correct it is William Demming. From reading the website, I am not sure that AT&T has a plan that will take the place of my MiFi Card from Verizon since I use it to provide wifi internet to my laptops while traveling.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

The current Mobile Share advantage plan allows you to tether your phone to your laptop.  No need for a wifi hotspot.  The only reason you needed a hotspot was you couldn't tether your phone because of the unlimited plan.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html

$20 line fee for phones out of 2 year contract.  $40 until contract expires.  

Next plans carry to the new account if you still owe installments 

6 gigs for $60

10 gigs for $80.  

This plan has no overage charges.  If you need more data, you just swap to a larger plan. 

ATT does sell hotspots and can share the data plan for a $20 line charge, plus cost of the device.

BUT...if you only use it for travel for your laptop, it is redundant as the phone can hotspot multiple devices and still function as a phone. 

The only issue left if whether ATT service is adequate every where you go.  If you are not able to get ATT service, you should consider a switch to Verizon, which offers a similar plan.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.