Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Mon, Jan 19, 2009 2:12 AM

Closed

Messaging Unlimited for Families

These phones are in my family plan:

1 - Sony Ericsson W580i WHT

1 - Blackberry 8310 (with Blackberry Personal & unlimited text)

2 - Motorola RAZRV3

Will the "Messages Unlimited for Families" feature work with my Family Plan?  Also, does this plan include "anyone", not just my family?  Thanks for any info or advice.

Responses

Accepted Solution

Dcookie

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

12 years ago

@rmh139 wrote:

These phones are in my family plan:

1 - Sony Ericsson W580i WHT

1 - Blackberry 8310 (with Blackberry Personal & unlimited text)

2 - Motorola RAZRV3

Will the "Messages Unlimited for Families" feature work with my Family Plan?  Also, does this plan include "anyone", not just my family?  Thanks for any info or advice.

Unlimited Family Messaging covers all the phones in your plan. It INCLUDES text, pic/video and IM (provided you use one of the PREINSTALLED IM clients on your phone. MMS and IM use data but the associated data is INCLUDED in the Unlimited Family Messaging Plan.However, if IM is accessed through the MEdia Net Page OR a 3rd party, you WILL incur extra data charges.

You can text, send picture/video messages and IM anyone on any network.

Hope this helps!

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Thank you for your help!!
Dcookie

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

12 years ago

You're welcome!!

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I just spent a frustrating hour on the phone with AT&T customer service.  We signed up for the Messaging Unlimited for Families which, as your aware, touts "unlimited texting, picture and video messages and instant messaging".   My daughter is the only one using Instant Messaging (AIM) - we discovered that she is being charge $.01 per kilobyte!  I asked the AT&T CS person to please show me on the Messaging Unlimited for Families webpage where it states that data charges are extra.  Of course he could not because it is not there.  He insisted, and his supervisor after him, that data charges are not included with the plan.  This seems to fly in the face of the answer above.  I did get AT&T to reverse the charges, and my daughter has been told to stop using instant messaging until this is worked out.  It just galls me that I'm paying for something that I can't use without incurring additional charges that weren't disclosed.

As it stands at this point I will most likely file complaints with the California Attorney General and Consumer Protection Agency.  If the AT&T CS rep is right it is clearly deceptive advertising.  If he is wrong I am being denied use of a service I've paid for.  Either way, AT&T is not being straight with its customers.

Dcookie

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

@cjones09 wrote:

I just spent a frustrating hour on the phone with AT&T customer service.  We signed up for the Messaging Unlimited for Families which, as your aware, touts "unlimited texting, picture and video messages and instant messaging".   My daughter is the only one using Instant Messaging (AIM) - we discovered that she is being charge $.01 per kilobyte!  I asked the AT&T CS person to please show me on the Messaging Unlimited for Families webpage where it states that data charges are extra.  Of course he could not because it is not there.  He insisted, and his supervisor after him, that data charges are not included with the plan.  This seems to fly in the face of the answer above.  I did get AT&T to reverse the charges, and my daughter has been told to stop using instant messaging until this is worked out.  It just galls me that I'm paying for something that I can't use without incurring additional charges that weren't disclosed.

As it stands at this point I will most likely file complaints with the California Attorney General and Consumer Protection Agency.  If the AT&T CS rep is right it is clearly deceptive advertising.  If he is wrong I am being denied use of a service I've paid for.  Either way, AT&T is not being straight with its customers.

What type of phone do you have that is getting the IM charges?? You may also want to read THIS thread. HERE is another one you may want to check out.
Message Edited by Dcookie on 03-06-2009 07:25:21 PM

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for pointing me at the other threads.  Seems I'm not the only one having this problem.  Her phone is a Blackberry 8820 - part of the problem is she is away at college & sometimes it takes awhile to communicate.  I had further discussions with AT&T and it seems there is a connection setup parameter that needs to be set properly - it can connect either through Media Net or SMS.  According to the latest AT&T CS rep connecting through SMS will not incur data charges, connecting through Media Net will.  I'll walk her through the procedure the AT&T CS rep gave me and see if that fixes the problem.

Somehow it seems that all of these problems should have been ironed out before the package was offered, and clear instruction on proper setup should be available.  It also seems to me that the CS reps should be properly trained before being turned loose on AT&T customers.   All told I've got a couple of hours invested in this - time I could have put to better use elsewhere.

Dcookie

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

@cjones09 wrote:

Thanks for pointing me at the other threads.  Seems I'm not the only one having this problem.  Her phone is a Blackberry 8820 - part of the problem is she is away at college & sometimes it takes awhile to communicate.  I had further discussions with AT&T and it seems there is a connection setup parameter that needs to be set properly - it can connect either through Media Net or SMS.  According to the latest AT&T CS rep connecting through SMS will not incur data charges, connecting through Media Net will.  I'll walk her through the procedure the AT&T CS rep gave me and see if that fixes the problem.

Somehow it seems that all of these problems should have been ironed out before the package was offered, and clear instruction on proper setup should be available.  It also seems to me that the CS reps should be properly trained before being turned loose on AT&T customers.   All told I've got a couple of hours invested in this - time I could have put to better use elsewhere.

I totally agree. I don't think we should have to find out our own solutions to our problem with these phones to be honest. I do hope those threads helped a little.

Yes, it is aggravating to have to waste so much time on the phone and I hope everything works out for you. Good luck! Smiley Happy

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Athena

Expert

• 

2.5K Messages

11 years ago

@Dcookie wrote:

@cjones09 wrote:

I totally agree. I don't think we should have to find out our own solutions to our problem with these phones to be honest. I do hope those threads helped a little.

Yes, it is aggravating to have to waste so much time on the phone and I hope everything works out for you. Good luck! Smiley Happy

Sometimes people are unaware that there's a problem until someone else points it out.  If everything just went perfectly, then we'd have nothing to learn from.  😉

Message Edited by Athena on 03-07-2009 09:28:38 PM
Dcookie

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

@Athena wrote:

@Dcookie wrote:

@cjones09 wrote:

Sometimes people are unaware that there's a problem until someone else points it out.  If everything just went perfectly, then we'd have nothing to learn from.  😉

Athena...then we would probably not have this FORUM!! Smiley Wink

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Athena

Expert

• 

2.5K Messages

11 years ago

@Dcookie wrote:

@Athena wrote:

@Dcookie wrote:

@cjones09 wrote:

Exactly..  There wouldn't be a need for it, because everything would just be known..  Careful what you wish for. 😛  LOL!

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Imagine how boring life would be if everything actually worked the way it was supposed to!  What would we do with all that extra time?
Dcookie

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

@Athena wrote:

@Dcookie wrote:

@Athena wrote:

@Dcookie wrote:

@cjones09 wrote:

Exactly..  There wouldn't be a need for it, because everything would just be known..  Careful what you wish for. 😛  LOL!

HOW TRUE!!! Then I would never get the chance to meet all of you on here!! Smiley Sad

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Dcookie

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

@cjones09 wrote:
Imagine how boring life would be if everything actually worked the way it was supposed to!  What would we do with all that extra time?

I could think of LOTS of things!!!

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Mentor

• 

31 Messages

11 years ago

@cjones09 wrote:

I would probably think of something to do with the extra money I would be saving because i didn't get any suprise overage charges or any suprise k/b charges on my bill when I was told not to worry because that problem was fixed when I called CS...
Message Edited by Moonbaseone on 03-13-2009 11:03:07 AM

Get started...

Ask a new question