Our Community Forums will be closing on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Need your talk or text logs?
trax95008's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, April 23rd, 2018 2:15 AM

iPhone consuming excessive data overnight

I have 3 iPhones on my account. About a week ago, I discovered that they are all consuming lots of cellular data overnight after receiving an overage 3 days in a row! What’s odd, is that they all connect to WiFi at home. The data is being consumed between 3:00-6:00AM. Why is cellular being consumed, and not WiFi? AT&T tech support was no help. They tried to blame it on WiFi assist. I disproved that by explaining that the WiFi assist meter which measures the amount of “offseted” data was really low. If that feature was the problem, that data would show up in the meter. Also, my WiFi would have to be acting up, and I know it’s not. Also, what could possibly be consuming hundreds of MB each night? Also, why is it happening on all 3 phones on my account? I disabled WiFi assist as instructed by tech support. My phone CONTINUES to consume large amounts of data overnight. Tech support also tried to tell me to turn of cellular data at night. That just made me even more mad.  I talked to Apple tech support. They were also not helpful. They basically said they don’t know what’s wrong, and that they can’t help me. They suggested I wipe my phone and start fresh. I took it as that was their way of getting me off the phone. I told them I wouldn’t accept that the OS on 3 phones glitched at the same time.

I need some competent help here! This issue is costing ME money

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

*Consume, autocorrect changed “conserve”.

I understand how apps/programs work, I’ve been a developer for more than 20 years across multiple platforms, so I get it. I also understand delayed reporting, it makes sense, but it still doesn’t match up with the actual data usage that’s occurring. My habits haven’t changed, nor have the locations I use it. The only thing that’s changed in the last 2 months is the Apple Watch. I suppose my next step is to leave it off for a few days and see if changes anything.

Regardless of the stats on ATT site, the usage data shown on my phone overnight after resetting the stats still don’t explain why it’s using so much cellular data when WiFi is available. I also have an ipad with many of the same apps and settings and also a SIM card so it can use cellular, but it’s not consuming data overnight. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@Dagrumpy1 wrote:

*Consume, autocorrect changed “conserve”.

Okay, but that's what you submitted. Autocorrect changes before you submit, not after. And it incorrectly corrected a MISTAKE...

My habits haven’t changed, nor have the locations I use it. The only thing that’s changed in the last 2 months is the Apple Watch. 

And every app that has updated on your device. I've been getting about a GB a day of updates of apps lately. I'm sure they've change the code of those apps a little bit.

Regardless of the stats on ATT site, the usage data shown on my phone overnight after resetting the stats still don’t explain why it’s using so much cellular data when WiFi is available.

It explains nothing when you keep the info to yourself 🙂

Which apps does it say are using the data?

I also have an ipad with many of the same apps and settings and also a SIM card so it can use cellular, but it’s not consuming data overnight. 

This makes it sound like it's an issue with those devices.

Switch the SIM from a problem phone with a non-problem phone. Reset the data and see if the issue sticks with that line or moves to the other line (since it's a different device).

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

I’ve turned off cellular data on most everything over the last few days. Apps that show using data are limited to calendar, mail and system services. However, the numbers don’t add up to the Current Period total. It’s not a huge difference, but it is significant. So, my guess would be that the OS is doing something that it’s just not measuring.

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

6 years ago

@Dagrumpy1

All the numbers?   System services too?   It’s simple math, so I’m inclined to think the iPhone is doing it correctly...

all those little kbs count...

Any where is say MB’s, you have to convert by x1024.  Then convert to mbs at the end to get the totals.

78D7FB09-75A4-43F2-A4AD-9AD170BE4DAA.jpeg66B65465-3DF7-4840-A14D-6DAAD33F6140.jpegEEFB1EC6-F8A8-4825-A9F3-7F46AED969D1.jpeg0A8586AC-A541-4EBF-ABF6-514B87512733.jpeg9BC36B94-BA3B-4E93-B30A-55EB55D058F3.jpeg

5 Attachments

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@Dagrumpy1 wrote:

However, the numbers don’t add up to the Current Period total. It’s not a huge difference, but it is significant. So, my guess would be that the OS is doing something that it’s just not measuring.

My iPhone 7+ (and my previous 6s) usually reports a few percent above what AT&T's numbers were (nothing significant).

Can I ask what is significant? (You were complaining about some pretty small numbers earlier).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.