Our Community Forum will be shutting down on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Need your talk or text logs?
trax95008's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, April 23rd, 2018 2:15 AM

iPhone consuming excessive data overnight

I have 3 iPhones on my account. About a week ago, I discovered that they are all consuming lots of cellular data overnight after receiving an overage 3 days in a row! What’s odd, is that they all connect to WiFi at home. The data is being consumed between 3:00-6:00AM. Why is cellular being consumed, and not WiFi? AT&T tech support was no help. They tried to blame it on WiFi assist. I disproved that by explaining that the WiFi assist meter which measures the amount of “offseted” data was really low. If that feature was the problem, that data would show up in the meter. Also, my WiFi would have to be acting up, and I know it’s not. Also, what could possibly be consuming hundreds of MB each night? Also, why is it happening on all 3 phones on my account? I disabled WiFi assist as instructed by tech support. My phone CONTINUES to consume large amounts of data overnight. Tech support also tried to tell me to turn of cellular data at night. That just made me even more mad.  I talked to Apple tech support. They were also not helpful. They basically said they don’t know what’s wrong, and that they can’t help me. They suggested I wipe my phone and start fresh. I took it as that was their way of getting me off the phone. I told them I wouldn’t accept that the OS on 3 phones glitched at the same time.

I need some competent help here! This issue is costing ME money

ACE - Sage

• 

118.2K Messages

6 years ago

@theFstopshere

They would have to know it and understand it to explain it.   Tech support can.  Most reps can’t tell you how light bulbs work other than, “you turn it on at the switch here....”

I was no better than that 6 years ago, before I got a smartphone of my own.   It was flat out traumatic to deal with the bill each month with teens and a husband, none of us understanding this intangible we were being charged $15 a gig overage on.  

Im the kind who needs to know “why”.  Gathered lots of information.   

https://forums.att.com/t5/Community-Blog/Data-Management-Cause-for-gray-hair-hair-pulling-and-stress/ba-p/4323575

Really only skims the surface, but wanted to avoid technical jargon.   

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

thanks lizdance40. I'll take a look @ the link. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

My phone (iPhone 6s) has started having this issue too. It seems that overnight it shows around 15000-2500k chunks at 12 and 3am, then at 6am, before I'm even awake and using the phone it uses between 15 and 25k sometimes. Two other iPhones in the house, a 6 and a 6s both running 11.4.x both use less than 15k overnight. All of the phones are connected to the WiFi, with mine being the closest to the router. 

Two things that might contribute is that I get work email on my phone, and I have an Apple watch. It seems the usage went up after adding the watch. But, the fact that it's still using so much just doesn't make sense. I have disabled almost everything but a few essential apps from using cellular and it's made little difference. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

Clarification. 

Overnight chunks on my phone of 1500-2500k. 6am usage between 15,000 and 25,000k. 

Other iPhones in the house, 7-15k usage chunks overnight.

The problem here is that it should connect to the WiFi, not use my cellular data. 

ACE - Sage

• 

118.2K Messages

6 years ago

@Dagrumpy1

Even if the chunks are 15,000kb, 3 times a night, every night for 31 days, it’s still under 1.5 gigs a month.  Those kilobytes look like big numbers, but not so.  There are 1024 in a mb and 1024 mb in a gig of data.  

Typical usage is 2 gigs or 2,097,152 kilobytes 

To be clear, there is no problem on ATT’s side.  And the only accurate usage records are on your phone.  You would have to reset usage to see what is using data during a 24 hour period.  It your set at the beginning of each bill cycle you can confirm your phone used the same amount of data that ATT shows on your bill.  

In my experience ATT is always a little short of my phones totals (so in my favor each month). 

If your phone is showing more use than normal, it’s a phone or app issue, not a carrier issue.  

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

Sure, the nightly usage is still low, but it's still higher than it should be when I'm at home connected to WiFi and asleep. The issue is compounded almost 3 times (75,000k every 3 hrs) when I'm away from WiFi, which is most of the day. 

I agree, it's not really an AT&T problem, it's a phone problem. However, I've searched many other places and not been able to find a solution. 

Interesting side note, I reset my cellular usage at midnight 2 nights in a row, and checked it first thing in the morning, and it shows usage numbers higher than the sum of all the apps listed with data usage including System Services. So, even Apple's own usage numbers appear to be inaccurate. 

I have also reset the Network setting a few times and power cycled, which seems to help for about 12 hrs, but then the numbers pop back up to where they were before. The only thing I haven't done is a full reset of the device. 

ACE - Sage

• 

118.2K Messages

6 years ago

@Dagrumpy1 wrote:

Sure, the nightly usage is still low, but it's still higher than it should be when I'm at home connected to WiFi and asleep. The issue is compounded almost 3 times (75,000k every 3 hrs) when I'm away from WiFi, which is most of the day. 

Oh, I’m doing the face palm thing...🤦🏼‍♀️

Please read the check book analogy.  https://forums.att.com/t5/Community-Blog/Data-Management-Cause-for-gray-hair-hair-pulling-and-stress/ba-p/4323575

Data you used during the day is posting to your account over night.   I always see data posting on my account ‘upside down’.  More is posted at night than during the day.  But the numbers add up EVERY month , so I know it’s correct.  

I agree, it's not really an AT&T problem, it's a phone problem. However, I've searched many other places and not been able to find a solution. 

Well, it MIGHT be a phone problem.  Or it might be your phone is working completely fine.  Which from a possible total per month around 2 gigs is perfect.  

Interesting side note, I reset my cellular usage at midnight 2 nights in a row, and checked it first thing in the morning, and it shows usage numbers higher than the sum of all the apps listed with data usage including System Services. So, even Apple's own usage numbers appear to be inaccurate. 

see the check book analogy.    Resetting at midnight will give you a 24 hour total,  but not for the same 24 hour period on your bill.  

Im more interested, as you should be, in what is using data during that time.  What apps?  Which are using the most?  Any surprises?

I have also reset the Network setting a few times and power cycled, which seems to help for about 12 hrs, but then the numbers pop back up to where they were before. The only thing I haven't done is a full reset of the device. 

Resetting network settings can disconnect from Wifi.  Just make sure your Wifi password is still in there.  

I don’t think there is anything wrong with your phone or usage.  You might find an app you didn’t expect using more data.  Phones and apps are designed to use data, not conserve it.  Updates to apps won’t make them use less.  Wait till 5g goes live.  Than we’ll see some crazy data numbers.  

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

I fully understand that phones are designed to conserve data, it is a network connected device. However, I expect it to connect to and use WiFi when it's available, but this doesn't seem to be the case for my phone during the night and other times when I'm at home and it SHOULD be using it. I've calculated the numbers and mine seems to be using almost 1.5gb a month at times when I'm at home and other places where WiFi is available. The other two iPhones in my house are only consuming about 75mb a month during those same times. That's a huge difference and not normal. I would say my phone is NOT functioning correctly. 

ACE - Sage

• 

118.2K Messages

6 years ago

@Dagrumpy1

Please reread my posts as you have it backwards.  Pretty much every post confirms you have no idea how data works, when data is used as opposed to posted on your account.  

Phones are NOT designed to conserve data.   Apps are programs and they get better all the time.  The more efficient an app, the more it’s doing work for you, and chewing data.  Siri uses data.  Location service, number sync.   

It’s all recorded in your phone settings. 

You already mentioned the watch seems to have cause an increase in data.  The data is used during the day, not at night.  It is posting to your ATT Account hours after use.  Those 3 hour posts are for usage before you arrived home.  Please read the links I posted.  

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@Dagrumpy1 wrote:

I fully understand that phones are designed to conserve data, it is a network connected device.

Designed to CONSERVE data?  I'm not so sure about that. 

They may have settings to conserve data, but you need to enable them.

However, I expect it to connect to and use WiFi when it's available, but this doesn't seem to be the case for my phone during the night and other times when I'm at home and it SHOULD be using it.

When data reports, if it's at 3/6/9/12 am/pm, that's just reported data and has nothing to do with then it was used.

Data can be reported up to 72 hours later, longer if roaming...

I've calculated the numbers and mine seems to be using almost 1.5gb a month at times when I'm at home and other places where WiFi is available. The other two iPhones in my house are only consuming about 75mb a month during those same times. That's a huge difference and not normal. I would say my phone is NOT functioning correctly. 

Look in your PHONE SETTINGS under CELLUAR. It'll tell you EXACTLY what apps use in terms of data.

I'm not sure what you are "calculating" as AT&T keeps track and your phone keeps a separate meter as I just mentioned.

Different settings on different phones AND different apps will make it use different amounts of data.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.