Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need your talk or text logs?
trax95008's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, April 23rd, 2018 2:15 AM

iPhone consuming excessive data overnight

I have 3 iPhones on my account. About a week ago, I discovered that they are all consuming lots of cellular data overnight after receiving an overage 3 days in a row! What’s odd, is that they all connect to WiFi at home. The data is being consumed between 3:00-6:00AM. Why is cellular being consumed, and not WiFi? AT&T tech support was no help. They tried to blame it on WiFi assist. I disproved that by explaining that the WiFi assist meter which measures the amount of “offseted” data was really low. If that feature was the problem, that data would show up in the meter. Also, my WiFi would have to be acting up, and I know it’s not. Also, what could possibly be consuming hundreds of MB each night? Also, why is it happening on all 3 phones on my account? I disabled WiFi assist as instructed by tech support. My phone CONTINUES to consume large amounts of data overnight. Tech support also tried to tell me to turn of cellular data at night. That just made me even more mad.  I talked to Apple tech support. They were also not helpful. They basically said they don’t know what’s wrong, and that they can’t help me. They suggested I wipe my phone and start fresh. I took it as that was their way of getting me off the phone. I told them I wouldn’t accept that the OS on 3 phones glitched at the same time.

I need some competent help here! This issue is costing ME money

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

Data is not reported in real time.  Data can be from 24 hours earlier.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Are you an official AT&T representative? Or are you just repeating something that you have heard before? If that was true, then why didn’t anyone mention that when I was on the phone with tech support? And if that’s true, then what is the point of the data log? If it’s not accurate, then it’s pointles and serves no purpose, and it actually causes more harm than good. I’m not going to be so quick to believe that there is a delay with reporting it on the log

• 

25.7K Messages

6 years ago

@trax95008 in the amount of time you typed that out saying you dont believe him you could have easily looked it up. 

www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1009269?sourcewtExtndSourcesupportwirelessvideoId=4300829

Usage reporting delays
We post usage to your online account as quickly as we can, but in some circumstances usage information may be unavailable or delayed. It can take two to five days for data usage to post in myAT&T, so amounts shown online may not fully reflect all usage since your last bill.

Something else that can come into play is apple has designed iphones to go off of wifi when the screen is off if they arnt connected to a charger to save battery. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@trax95008 wrote:

Are you an official AT&T representative? Or are you just repeating something that you have heard before? If that was true, then why didn’t anyone mention that when I was on the phone with tech support? And if that’s true, then what is the point of the data log? If it’s not accurate, then it’s pointles and serves no purpose, and it actually causes more harm than good. I’m not going to be so quick to believe that there is a delay with reporting it on the log

@trax95008

No I am not a rep my sig does say that.

What I told you is on ATT.com for everyone to view.  I said 24 hours now ATT has changed it to 2-5 days...

Capture.PNG

1 Attachment

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

6 years ago

@trax95008   It’s even on our bills...

So now that we have established your data was ‘consumed’ during the previous day, while using cellular.  You can look at your data usage in settings to see what apps are using data.   You can turn off background data.  

IMG_3228.JPG

1 Attachment

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Did you ever find a solution?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

6 years ago

@jjo147

The solution is look at your settings, data usage, and then the apps.   No one but you and the software control the phone.  If the data usage on your phone for the bill cycle is very close to AT+T’s totals you DID use the data.

This is a little old, but the premise still holds.  https://forums.att.com/t5/Community-Blog/Data-Management-Cause-for-gray-hair-hair-pulling-and-stress/ba-p/4323575

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

My husband and I are having the same problem. We've had iPhones (and AT&T)  for > 10 years.   I understand the fact that the usage isn't posted "in real time", but what is confusing to me is that we have never gone over our data package until we upgraded to iPhone X and iPhone 8.  Now, we're using data like crazy-even though we're on wifi MOST  of the time AND and don't use our phones for movies or gaming.  Got the same advise from AT&T-"turn off wifi assist".  That made no difference.  We've turned off cellular data for a lot of our apps, so we'll see.  Just know sure why this wasn't an issue with previous iPhones.  

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

6 years ago

@theFstopshere

And the previous phones were __________?

Smartphones are designed to use data.  Bigger screens, more pixels, more powerful processors and the newer iOS and apps WILL use more data.  

Wait till 5g goes up....then we will see some serious data usage.  

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

lizdance40

The previous phones were iPhone SE.  Your explanation  seems simple, but makes sense.  If that's the case though, why didn't someone at AT&T explain it like that?  You would think when they market an updated product, they'd look at your data plan to advise you accordingly.  Unfortunately that  wasn't our experience.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.