Gift your grad endless possibilities. Celebrate right now and connect them to their brightest future.
Need your talk or text logs?

New Member


1 Message

Saturday, November 28th, 2020 5:41 AM

How do I continue using AT&T services after leaving the U.S.?

Hi all,

I am currently on the monthly-paid AT&T Unlimited Plan, but for some reason I left the U.S. this year, and I am not planning to get back in the next one or two years. I am currently in China, though I am not going to use the cellular data, I still need to receive the text messages sometimes, for instance, receiving the verification code when I am logging into my online bank account.

Hence I am wondering if there is any AT&T plan that can serve my need or any way that I can transfer to a prepaid plan with the ability to receive text messages in China? Given that I am currently not in the U.S., I am not able to call AT&T customer service directly, I am hoping I can finish the entire process online or via email.

The whole point is that I want to keep using my current phone number at the lowest price, as I am now still paying $70 each month while I do not use any of the included data.

BTW, if I want to transfer the wireless service to another provider, what is the information that I am going to need and how can I find it?

Thanks in advance guys!


ACE - Expert


63.9K Messages

3 years ago

First off, you don’t want to switch to prepaid. Prepaid does not roam in China. As for switching to a cheaper plan, all of ATT’s plans and prices are online. There is currently only one non unlimited plan, a 4GB shared data plan. That would be the cheapest plan. As for porting your number to a different carrier, you need your account number and account pin. ATT does not do customer support via email. If you can’t change your plan yourself online, your only option is to call. Not sure why you think you can’t call. If you have roaming service to receive texts, you can call too. The call to the international support number is free from your mobile phone.


Community Support


215K Messages

3 years ago

Hello @saki_zzq,


Thank you for reaching out to us. To best serve you with your inquiry since you are out of the country, please call +1.314.925.6925 to speak with a representative. Hope this helps!


Sean, AT&T Community Specialist

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.