Need your talk or text logs?
F

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, April 26th, 2020 2:49 PM

How can I tell if a company is a legitimate MVNO?

I see a lot of providers out there claiming to be MVNO's on AT&T's network, some even offering things like "unlimited data" "no throttling". I understand a legitimate MVNO would buy wholesale and they may be able to work that out, it would just depend on how much they were willing to pay, but it seems sketchy that soo many claim to be "legitimate" but so many close up shop in a few months.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

4 years ago

I’ve never even heard of an illegitimate MVNO. Do you have an example of one? I’ve never heard of anyone tapping into ATT’s network and reselling services without being authorized. Perhaps those that close simply do so because they aren’t profitable. No business can survive if they don’t turn a profit.

• 

2 Messages

That was exactly my thought, that they just weren’t profitable. When you are buying blocks of data by the Mb, Gb, or Tb; it’s going to price out of hand quickly.

The question came up because providers have recently been shut down or limited by AT&T and Verizon. I.E BIX wireless OTR mobile etc... There are folks out there saying they were just reselling a specific plan, but my understanding of MVNO was they bought a certain amount of bulk service and how they used it was pretty much up to them. (Hence why on the phone plan side of MVNO they all have slightly different plans)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.