Need your talk or text logs?
monikynFL's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, January 21st, 2011 4:07 AM

HELP! 700MB of data in a day... something is very odd

I need help figuring out what could be causing my mom's refurbished iphone 4 to consume huge chuncks of data at a time.... the first day she 'used' 180MB... we swapped her to a 2GB plan... in ˜5 days she used 1.4GB.... but the last straw was last night that while she was working the phone sent 700MB of data.... 

My bottomline question:  IS THERE ANY WAY TO KNOW WHICH APP SPECIFICALLY IS USING THE DATA???  she has the phone, the sms, the emails: a cfl.rr.com and a hotmail account, and the gmail contacts populating the contacts; that is it!  she is not very techie and i showed her around the apps but really don't think she even cared, except may be for the compass a little bit.  i could almost erase everything and she still would not notice.

even if she accidentally hit the safari open (which i seriously doubt) how can it serve 700MB with the phone on lock???

i have set the cellular data switch off until i can get my hands on the phone - she lives in a different city, but im starting to think that there is something wrong with the phone itself?

Any ideas or help on how to figure this one out will be greatly appreciated, she loves the phone but 5GB+ estimated monthly usage is unsustainable and unreasonable for a few email chains from her friends.....

Thanks in advance

Professor

• 

3.7K Messages

13 years ago

Sounds like you need to get a copy of the bill and examine times that the bulk of the data is being used. If it is at a time when she is not using it (sleeping?) and give customer care a call, 800-331-0500 to get some clarification.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

thanks ghostryder,

I already called ATT but they were more concerned about me asking for the charges back (which i would if i prove was their fault) than helping me figure out what's the matter.

I really just want to know what's wrong to change it, otherwise I'll have to get her another phone and she really liked this one....

any help with a method to identify the app doing this?  

THANKS!

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

13 years ago

You need to tell us which apps are installed on the phone. 

Safari itself would not use up any data if left unattended. Any new emails would use barely any data.

Professor

• 

3.7K Messages

13 years ago

@scoobydrew wrote:

You need to tell us which apps are installed on the phone. 

Safari itself would not use up any data if left unattended. Any new emails would use barely any data.

And also what phone brand and name your mom is using might help as well. We should be able to get to the bottom of this.

Plus, if you get a rep that is not being helpful, call back and you'll get another rep that might be more helpful rather than worried about you asking for a credit.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

Thank you guys for your willingness to help.

1- My mom is using an iPHONE 4. I bought it refurbished from ATT 

2- We have installed NO apps.  Nothing!  we also did not delete any apps of what comes with the phone.  My mom confessed to me that after she switch to the 2GB plan, she didn't even open the email ever again.

3- She mentioned yesterday that she keeps getting a prompt if she wants to use facetime.... but I thought it couldn't be used without a wi-fi connection?  which we have not setup yet because I have not been to their place

4- My husband is starting to believe that the phone is defective.... would you agree? would it be a way for the bad phone to constantly use data?

Thanks so much for your help!

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

13 years ago

Sounds like the phone is defective.

See if you can swap it for another one. There's no reason for pre-installed apps to suck up that much data. 

Professor

• 

3.7K Messages

13 years ago

I'm going to link to this Apple thread. It has a lot of posts, but read thru them and you should get an idea of what's going on with iPhones.

It's frustrating, I know and it seems to be only happening to iPhone owners. Are you getting charged for all the data showing being transferred?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

yes 😞 - Im charged for the whole thing

I'll read the thread you suggested to see if i can make sense of this

Thanks both for your help!

M

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.