Need your talk or text logs?
CKron1's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Monday, July 13th, 2015 7:32 PM

Group text limit - AT&T PLEASE REMOVE

This message is intended for AT&T::
PLEASE remove the group text limit of 10 people. It is very frustrating to use this feature with such an absurd limitation. What's the point of group text? I've contacted Apple and read numerous posts on this forum and the issues lies with AT&T.

Please respond to this message.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

This is definitely a problem.  I will revisit this when it comes time tor renew my contract withAT&T.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

That is not a solution.  It is the reason given and not a very good one.  I do group tests to near 60+ people for our church prayer chain.  The limitation requires me to send out 6 group tests to get one message out to all the people on the prayer chain.  When my contract is up, I will consider another carrier for that reason.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

as ridiculous and annoying the group text limitation is, I found that the app Whatsapp is a much better alternative for group texting.  Unlimited groups can be created with 100 people in each group.  Check it out https://www.whatsapp.com/

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

It's merely not possible to have some kind of "opt-in" where certain users are willing to open themselves up to potential spam by opting for a high group limit. 10 is a static figure that will never change. SMS is not meant for wide communication, e-mail is. SMS is a throwaway service for quick instant messages to a single person or small handful, but not a huge group. Too many issues can arise such as the SMSC getting flooded, intercarrier failures, etc. SMS is a tech from the 1990s. It's limited. It's archaic. This is why Apple has created iMessage and why Google has Hangouts on every new Android. They don't rely on MMS/SMS but simply need data connection.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Hey everyone just wanted to say I used to be a At&t customer for over 15 years and after getting a iphone omg I could not stand the 10 number limit on messages! We switched all our lines to T-mobile and oh man oh man what a great move! No more of that Annoying 10 number limit on messages! Finally done! If you havnt do the switch plus service is excellent with band 12 on the newest iphone 6s and 6s plus! You wont be disappointed.

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

Oh, I suspect many T-Mobile customers experience disappointment; no carrier is perfect. For example, 2G speeds once you've used your base data plan. Or limited network coverage. 

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

@David606 You make it sound like 10 is a technological limit.  It is not.  Other carriers allow more.  It is a limit that AT&T has chosen to set.  "SMS is a tech from the 1990s.  It's limited.  It's archaic"  Then why do you (and every other major carrier) still support it instead of coming together to develop something less archaic?  "SMS is not meant for wide communication, email is."  Maybe in the archaic 1990s that was the case because not everyone had SMS.  SMS IS meant for "near instant" communication while email is not.  As I said above, I volunteer coach multiple children's sports teams and they always have 10-20 members and some kids' parents both want a notification so I still end up with 21+ numbers to text, i.e. 3 groups.  If there is a last minute change or cancellation due to weather or something else then email is not fast enough because although it is delivered almost as quickly, not everyone sits in front of their computer all day, not everyone has a smart phone where they can get email, and not everyone with a smartphone chooses to burn through their data plan by getting email on it.

Stop trying to make "technical" excuses and just admit that rather than trying to accomodate a REASONABLE request from their customers, AT&T wants to force people to use a third party app that will make them use more data and hopefully force them to switch to a more expensive rate plan, since SMS doesn't count against the data allocation.

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

One more thing, the SPIM (IM SPAM) excuse doesn't cut it either because spimmers don't use their phone to send spim.  The 3-4 spims I have received in the 10+ years I have used texting were NEVER group messages, they were always individual messages sent by an automated process.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

This is ridiculous.  In the year 2016, you can't figure out a better way?  Most families are involved in some type of group activity and they need to communicate.  Email isn't an option with the coaches.  

Even if you just up the limit to 18 like Verizon.  I've been an AT&T customer for over 20 years...but this will force me to change carriers.  As soon as we get our plan paid off in two months, I'll be switching all four of our family phones to someone that can support team group texts.  This is our way of life and this isn't working!  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

So are the other networks better equipped because they don't seem to have any problems with much higher limits.  Some as high as 100, and no complaints about spam or dropped texts.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.