Wanie44
#1 Star!
Crowd Pleaser 1

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

Wed, Sep 10, 2014 4:08 AM

Grandfathering my unlimited data plan

When I get a new iPhone 6, how can I make sure I still keep my unlimited data plan that I've had since the first iPhone came out?
I have it on my iPad as well.
Anonymous

• 

25.7K Messages

7 y ago

I had no problem keeping the same unlimited data plan I have now. They tried like crazy to move me to the next plan though. Of course all this means nothing if I never get the phone. And I don't trust I ever will.
Anonymous

• 

25.7K Messages

7 y ago

My question is this. If I go to my AT&T store and cancel my order and go to the Apple Store and order it will I get my same plan then?
Wanie44

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

7 y ago

How frustrating!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

7 y ago

my is the same way.   And to be honest its more or less 2G/edge speed.  3G speeds should be 1.5-3mbps.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 y ago

I simply changed a sim in the ATT store and changed my phone and their systems now automatically remove the unlimited data plans..The first time I didn't notice it until after I left the store and I had to " make a case" to get back what the employee mistakenly removed...Absurd!  That made me feel real good about ATT...Then the next week I had to change my phone and I told the employee to keep my data, and it still removed it, and I  had to sit for 20 minutes while he sorted it out with ATT employee tech support.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 y ago

I was not upgrading, just using my grandfathered plan, when this month I got a bill that says I have been switched to a Mobile Share plan in the middle of the month without my permission or any notice - and it is $27.00 higher and 4GB data instead of unlimited! I called AT&T and the operator said I could not have the grandfathered plan. That is just bad public relations. I am now looking at other carriers since I was treated so badly. So, if you have a grandfathered plan, beware! Since the FTC got after AT&T for throttling data, I think this is the payback we loyal customers get.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 y ago

When I upgraded to my 4s I was told I had to get a data plan. Since then I have to keep upgrading my plan to higher gigs. I've gone from 10-30 gigs and I don't understand why I've had to do that. I use my devices just as I've been doing but it keeps running out. Don't understand it, and I am not happy.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 y ago

I have been trying for 10 days to get my husband's unlimited data restored!  Before upgrading, we were assured that if we called to activate the phone when we received it, we would retain the unlimited data on my account. We moved my son to his own plan which took just shy of 2 hours on the phone on two separate days to accomplish. 

While on the first call, my husband and I upgraded our iPhones to the 6 Plus after being assured by the rep on the phone that we could keep my husband's unlimited data if we called to activate his phone when we got them.

When we got our new phones, I activated my phone via the online system seemingly with no trouble.

The next day I called to activate my husband's phone.  There went another hour on the phone, but all seemed good and was assured his unlimited plan was retained.  The next day we discover that they had completely disabled my data plan!  I spent another hour on the phone getting my data plan restored.   I don't have unlimited talk so have now used a huge chunk of my monthly minutes with AT&T trying to get them to fix their screw ups!

Then we find they had removed our Visual Voicemail!  ACCCKKK!!!  So I decide to use chat from a computer because I can't afford to use any more minutes with them on this.  On the 5th, I was told that the restoration of unlimited minutes had to be done by the back office and I would hear from them by the 11th.  On the 13th, I chatted again for status.  I was informed that an urgent escalation was sent and we'd hear back within 24 hours.  I waited two and a half days and chatted for status.  I was told today that it had already been escalated and I needed to wait.  I asked if there was a new ETA and was told "Still the same ETA".  OK so are we talking another 24 hours or a day and a half ago?  I was told I just have to wait until I hear from them! 

We have been with AT&T for many years and are loyal customers, but this iPhone 4s to iPhone Plus upgrade has been a complete nightmare!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 y ago

Agreed, you definitely should be able to keep your granfathered data plan when getting a new device to your account... 

Hmm... then how come I was just told that you can't add a  Galaxy Gear S watch to my Galaxy S5 account without giving up my data plan ?

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

7 y ago

This just happen to me this weekend, November 16, 2014. I received a message about I reach my cap in Data Usage when I knowly know I have a unlimited data.  Contact ATT and they insisted that I had not had unlimited for the past last billing cycle but when I log in it clearly said I had unlimited data. I requested to be transferred to a supervisor where he mention there must of been an error in removing my unlimited data.  So now I have to wait 7 days for this to be resolved.  This is unsatisfactory when I have been a loyal customers for over 7 years.

How has the outcome been to all those who lost their plan, where you able to regain it back?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 y ago

I upgraded through Apple retail store & had no issue with keeping my grandfathered unlimited data plan; Apple is all about customer service and always goes above & beyond to keep a customer happy or make due on promise!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 y ago

Mcleath did this work.  ANy issues

I'm am lookng at upgrading my phone.  But if the grandfathering in process you noted doesnt work Im inclinded to dump AT& T and move on.  I don't see an advadage or a true up grade service without the grandfathering option.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

7 y ago

I have an unusual grandfathered unlimited data plan on a smartphone that does not have a voice plan.  For nearly 30 years, I have been a volunteer emergency manager for a small city and I have used this data only smartphone in many emergency situations to save lives and property.  There is little budgeted money and I always personally paid AT&T for this plan.  This plan is tied to the State of Texas and is discounted about 30%.  Now AT&T is forcing me to give up this plan by making upgrades unaffordable or either so obsolete that the device is not usable.  I cannot afford to pay for another data plan just to satisy AT&T's addiction to money.  I even tried to bypass this insanity by purchasing a 4G prepaid smartphone and transferring my SIM card.  AT&T now has rendered this newly purchased smartphone useless.  I am going public on this story because it is no different than the recent AT&T throttling that has resulted in the FTC lawsuit.  I know of other emergency workers who will be forced to give up their smartphone unlimited data plans.  So when you see volunteer emergency workers at work just remember how AT&T is screwing them.  In a few years everyone should hear a giant sucking sound from AT&T when emergency workers have a mass separation from AT&T.  Just Google firstnet.gov and see where they are going.  AT&T has so neglected emergency operations that soon there will be an option.  First Net is the answer.  I guess I will just be without mobile data until that happens.  No matter what the circumstances are, AT&T has a way to get you out of your unlimited data plan.  Sadly someone may die because I cannot get a location on a leaky gas line or some other hazard.  This is why volunteers just quit.  I am responsible for a reverse 911 system to notify thousands of people in emergencies.  How can I do this remotely without my smartphone?  It is time to quit........

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

7 y ago

They took mine away.

You wont get it, what they dont tell you is they only give you three cases until they just tell you no. So If you get hooked up with 3 people that dont know what they are doing in a row then you lose your grandfathered data. I recorded the terrible customer service and uploaded it here if anyones interested. Just cross your fingers no mistakes occur when you upgrade.

Audio of calls.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 y ago

It took three weeks and doing an online chat with AT&T support every 3-5 days to get the Unlimited data back, but we were finally successful.  I am convinced that they try to wear you down so that you give up.  DON'T give up.  keep on them and insist on an ETA of when you will hear back from their escalation point.  When that day comes, contact support and push for resolution.  If it is not resolved at that moment, get an ETA and when that day comes, contact support and push for resolution.  Repeat until you get your unlimited data plan.  Do not give up!!
Also, I recommend using their online chat as it is easy to copy/paste the text of the sessions.

This phone upgrade was a completely frustrating mess!

Good luck y'all!

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.