Wanie44
#1 Star!
Crowd Pleaser 1

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

Wed, Sep 10, 2014 4:08 AM

Grandfathering my unlimited data plan

When I get a new iPhone 6, how can I make sure I still keep my unlimited data plan that I've had since the first iPhone came out?
I have it on my iPad as well.
Rsulliv1

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 y ago

Quick Update. 

I called AT&T service and they let me know that I must call in back after I receive the phone, but before I activate it.

Not the smoothest thing in the world, but not apparent issues.

Thanks,

-ryan

Wanie44

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

7 y ago

When I ordered it online through Apple continuing my unlimited was one of the choices offered - which of course I chose!! Hope it turns out to be as simple as that!!!!!
J
Sent from my iPhone

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 y ago

I was just told by an online rep that,

Jean: If you upgrade the phone and take advantage of any of our current offers, you will have to change your current data plan.

Jean: I just checked for you. As I said before, you will only be able to do the upgrade and keep your current plan, by purchasing the device at full retail price.

Is this the story other people are getting?

Wanie44

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

7 y ago

Good to know!!

Sent from my iPhone

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 y ago

It seems like they are telling everyone something different, and that worries me. I was told they have to put in a ticket AFTER i get my new phone, and that there was no way for her to change it on her side until i activated my phone.

That other poster said that they could activate it over the phone with the grandfathered plan. This completely contridicts what the ATT lady told me, and what you said is totally different as well.

This sounds like the run around to me.

Wanie44

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

7 y ago

Do you think the difference might be the route one takes to get the phone? I went through Apple online and keeping my unlimited data plan was the first choice listed among others. I've since received an email from Apple verifying my contract and rate plan. We'll see how it all plays out when it arrives in 3-4 weeks. I'll be shocked if it goes without a hitch.

Sent from my iPhone
Wanie44

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

7 y ago

I just chatted with an Apple support person. They said that the 5S and the 6's use the same type SIM card. When my new phone arrives I just pop SIM card out that came with it and pop in the one in my current phone with is already coded with my current unlimited service which should be uninterrupted. They said I can do it myself at home. That way an ATT associate who's goal is to not have me keep my unlimited plan won't be able to interfere with the process!
I'm counting on it.

Sent from my iPhone

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 y ago

I'm confused. We've been paying a lot more than we had to, just to maintain our Unlimited Data plan. For the first time ever, on vacation last week I had the opportunity to enjoy high speed data on my cell phone but then received a notice stating that my "unlimited" data was about to be throttled.

Checking the other options, it looks like I can get 10GB of unthrottled data for the same price I'm paying now. Why is everyone so excited about keeping their Unlimted plan? Are you hoping that ATT is going to remove the cap at some point in time?

Trying to figure out what direction to go in. I figure that keeping Unlimited Data is costing me at least $60 per month and is preventing me from using my phone as a hotspot.

Thanks for helping me sort through this.

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

7 y ago

How much data had you used when you got throttled?

Psychologically, I am averse to overage charges more than I am of throttling.  It is that tendency to avoid (and overestimate) risk.

Wanie44

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

7 y ago

Then I think you might be wise to switch for the faster service. I just enjoy the freedom of not worrying about it and have not experienced the slowness on my iPhone so far. I have on my iPad, though, so I understand!

Sent from my iPhone

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 y ago

I usually get throttled around 5GB.  I hit 6 GB this month and speeds dropped to aournd 0.30-0.40Mbps    Sucked, but atleast I wasn't paying $100 for a 6+GB data plan.  I typically don't get over 3-4GB in a month unless I am traveling a lot in that month and Wifi is limited or slow where I am traveling to.

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

7 y ago

It is a tradeoff between data volume and type of usage.  I get close to 5GB/mo on my iPhone (emails, big attchments, downloads of podcasts etc.).  I get unlimited data for $30 and don't suffer the effects of throttling.  Nothing is that cost effective, AFAIK.

Thats why I was interested in knowing how much data one uses before getting the throttling notice.  I believe that it depends on the congestion in that local area.  So, the thresholds and the extent for throttling may differ for different people depending on their location and time and data traffic pattern.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 y ago

My unlimited data plan is $30/month.  If you only use 2GB of data a month there are better options price wise.  However, if you get to 5GB...I hit 6+GB this month due to some traveling and slow wifi at my desitination you are going to pay way more.  Verizon offers single line plans that would be $120/month for 6GB of data.  I pay $74.99/month total with ATT unlimited data and voice/text/etc....plus taxes and junk fees.

An ATT family plan with 10GB of data = $115/month for one phone if I looked at the plans correctly($100 base + $15/phone).

ATT individual plan is $65/month for 2GB of data.  Not sure what their overage rates are...couldn't find it easy, but I am sure it comes out to more than $80/month at 6GB.

It just all depends on how much data you use in a month if it is still worth it.  For me, without being on a family plan with 3-4 phones it is definetly saving me money to be on the grandfathered unlimited data plan.  I use a lightning to HDMI connector to hook up my iPhone to a TV for TV viewing while traveling when connection speeds allow.  I can watch my Dish Network Hopper TV feeds from anywhere.  So if I travel, I use data!  🙂

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 y ago

Only way to keep your current plan is to pay full price the new phone or pay in installment. One thing is what the give when they introduce some new plan, they get you as soon as you upgrade.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 y ago

Only if you pay full price for phone or by installments. No wonder AT&T gets people hooked on an excellent plan, then pulls the rug under us as soon as we upgrade. Cheap trick.

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.