Wanie44
#1 Star!
Crowd Pleaser 1

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

Wed, Sep 10, 2014 4:08 AM

Grandfathering my unlimited data plan

When I get a new iPhone 6, how can I make sure I still keep my unlimited data plan that I've had since the first iPhone came out?
I have it on my iPad as well.
Rsulliv1

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 y ago

They removed my messaging package and gave me a message about moving me to a Mobile Share Value plan once my new phone arrives. I chatted with ATT online and this is what I was told:

9-12-2014 4.21.55 AM.png

We'll see what happens in the morning, but I hope this helps others.

Dragoth01

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 y ago

Will I still have the option to keep my unlimited data with a next 12 mo plan when upgrading to iPhone 6?

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

7 y ago

ATT web site did not offer me the older plans (like 3GB/mo) that I have to select for my son's phone to keep my unlimited data plan.  The web site offered only Family Share plans.

I bailed.

The Apple site, however, gave me all the choices.  I upgraded using Apple's site. (see below).

I will visit the store to set up my upgrade as I want to trade in my iPhone 5 (for $200).  That can be dome only at the stores, apparently.

Capture.JPG

solsurf

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 y ago

samething happened to me...Ordered my iphone 6 at 3:20 am eastern received a confirmation sayong that my unlimited data plan was removed (the only reason why i stayed with at & t this long) i tried to call customer service right away but it was closed until 7 am. know ing that i wasnt going to sleep i put my alarm on for 6:50 am thinking id 1st call then go down to my local AT & T store.

called customer service at 7 got a representative at 7:15am. To my amazement after explaining my situation the lady understood where I was coming from and within 10 min i had a case and confirmation number texted to me and was assured that my unlmited plan would be returned!

photo 2.PNGphoto 2.PNG

Dimpleslov

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 y ago

Does anyone know what the "unlimited messaging enterprise plan" is?  how is it different from the "unlimited messaging" plan?

If our data plan says "unminited $30/mo" that is our grandfathered plan correct?  I am ordering from the Apple website.

Wanie44

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

7 y ago

Yes! I just ordered mine and I was given that option and was able to continue my unlimited plan!!!
Yay!

Sent from my iPhone
sTo0z

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 y ago

Good God... My experience so far has been frustrating. I've talked to like 4 different folks about this, the first 3 had no idea what to do and said they couldn't do anything about it. Then after about 2 hours in various waiting queues I got dropped off, called back in, and then the first person I got told me that my plan was going to carry over, even though it says it won't.

She said I'd be receiving a text stating that my plan would carry over, but I've yet to receive it... 

Cheryl305

Voyager

• 

1 Message

7 y ago

I just spoke to someone who said it is a glitch in the system and he made a note in my file and when I go into ATT store to activate just tell them I want to keep my old plan. I am not sure if I should just cancel my order though, becuase AT & T has given me the story before that the "computer" wont allow them to revert back to things in my previous plan. This guy gave me his ID number and name but told me no case number was needed. This is so frustrating. I just don't think anyone knows what will happen until the new phones are activated?

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

7 y ago

I processed my upgrade this morning and everything worked fine. It automatically recognized my grandfather status and allowed me to keep it. When I first attempted to order early this am it tried to force me to pick a new plan. The only difference possibly was that the 2nd time I tried I went thru the "are you eligible for an upgrade" process to get to the pre-order.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

7 y ago

I should add that I did NOT have to call customer service. I have screen shots but couldn't post from my phone. Message me and I'd be glad to share them.
Snkygrk

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 y ago

Everyone with data unlimited can u tell me how much if at all they have been throttling your data speeds? I'll clock at 10-15 Mbps the first week of by billing cycle, then they will drop my speeds to .3-.5 for the remaining 3 weeks. Was wondering if it's just me they are throttling that much or if it's everyone. Keep in mind after 5 days I'll be at 5 gigs of data used. My 4g is unusable at those low speeds.
mcleath

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

7 y ago

Me too. Awesome. My faith in ATT has increased!

mcleath

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

7 y ago

My son has similar throttling. Gets throttled between 3 Gb and 5Gb then it drops to <0.5 Mbps. I have written/called/complained to ATT ad nausiam. Essentially what they are doing is taking your bandwidth from you and selling it to others. They have used strongarm tactics like withholding use of FaceTime over cellular (unless you pick a newer plan), a policy which thankfully they changed. Tethering is another sore point. In the early days of the internet, companies like AOL had packages where you got an amazing 10 free hours per month internet access for free. Today, we laugh at the concept since people need/want unlimited access. This whole overage business model that seriously penalises folk for exceedin a limit is arcane. The world will drive to unlimited voice/text/data for a flat fee and the businesses that get there first will flourish the others will perish. I typically use 1-2 Gb per month and have once in donkeys years got to 5 Gb, but want the option to use what I pay for without throttling.

Dragoth01

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 y ago

Does it matter if I choose a 2 year contract or a next contract to keep my unlimited data? Please share I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Wanie44

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

7 y ago

Exactly!

Sent from my iPhone
Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.