Need your talk or text logs?
dudeone2003's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, October 31st, 2014 3:27 AM

Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan for Iphone

I currently have the "Family Talk Nation 700 with Rollover" for both me my wife and daughter and they are all under my account. Before I married my wife and added my step-daughter to my plan I have the "DATA UNLIMITED FOR IPHONE" the grandfathered in plan. I currently have my wife and stepdaughter each on a 3gb data plan. My question is: Can I take my wife and daughter off the 3gb data plan and put them on my unlimited data plan for iphone even though the unlimited data plan doesn't exist for them anymore since they joined after they removed the unlimited data plan for iphone?

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

9 years ago

No. If they are not currently on the unlimited plan, there is no way to add them to it. The unlimited plan is no longer offered.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

9 years ago

@dudeone2003 wrote:

I currently have the "Family Talk Nation 700 with Rollover" for both me my wife and daughter and they are all under my account. Before I married my wife and added my step-daughter to my plan I have the "DATA UNLIMITED FOR IPHONE" the grandfathered in plan. I currently have my wife and stepdaughter each on a 3gb data plan. My question is: Can I take my wife and daughter off the 3gb data plan and put them on my unlimited data plan for iphone even though the unlimited data plan doesn't exist for them anymore since they joined after they removed the unlimited data plan for iphone?

As was already stated before, you can not get the unlimited data plan for any phone line which does not already have it right now.

Based on your information you have provided, let me see if I can estimate your current monthly bill.  You are paying $69.99 for your 700 minutes, plus $30 for your unlimited data, plus $60 for the data for your wife & step daughter combined, plus $30 for unlimited SMS, so you are paying about $199.99 plus taxes & fees fo ryour monthly service right now.

If you move to a Mobile Share Value Plan, you can get the 15 GB shared plan for $130/month for the data, plus $40/month for the 3 phone lines (if you get contract subsidized phones).  That means that you pay about $250/month but you have 15GB of data that is shared by all 3 phones.  It is one large pool, and all phones use data from the same pool.  OK, that's about $50/month more than you are paying right now, so it might not seem like a good deal.  Let's look at if you go with NEXT to purchase the phones instead of getting the contract subsidized phones.  You still pay $130 for the data, plus $15/phone for the talk & text on each of the 3 lines, then you pay for the phone NEXT installments.  If we assume that you are using the cheapest iPhone 6 models, you would pay about $27/month for 24 monthly installments for the iphones, but you wouldn't pay the $199 up front, so while paying $2/month more per phone, you are also saving $199/phone up front, so over the 2 year period, you pay about $150 less to purchase using NEXT than to purchase with a contract subsidy.  So in the end this nets out to be about $45 per month more that what you are paying now, but it still gives you the 15GB of data you share across all 3 phones, and you also get unlimited voice calling (not just the 700 minutes per month).  That might be worth making the change for you.

Here's one more thing that might push you into considering the change.  As long as you make that change before the end of October 2014, AT&T will dounle that 15GB of data up to 30GB of data for the same price and you get to keep the higher data limit until you make any changes to your rate plan, at which point it will revert back down to the 15GB data plan.  So if you make that switch before the end of Friday, you can then share 30GB of data between all 3 phones (as well as using the mobile hotspot feature if you want), all for just $45/month more than your base rate probably is today. 

One other thing I should note is that if you make the change and you do encounter a data overage, you will pay $15/GB for that overage where I think you may only be paying $10/GB on your wife & step daughter's lines now (your line doesn't encounter overage charges, it just gets throttled if you exceed the cap in a month).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.