For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
B

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, May 6th, 2021 1:00 AM

Get text messages from AT& T website/cloud ?

Our arts group has an ipad that we *thought* was set up to receive text messages to the phone number associated with the device.   BUT texts have only been coming in to an email address that was in the ipad message settings.

We had asked associates to send texts to the *phone* number, and they do not appear on the ipad.  Since the messages did not come back as undeliverable, we are hoping that they are SOMEWHERE in the AT&T system/cloud and can still be retrieved.

Any help with this would be GREATLY appreciated.

-Brent, Visalia CA

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

3 years ago

Tablets are data devices only, they can not receive SMS or MMS messages. The number assigned is not for calls or texts. Texts are only in the system for up to 72 hours or until delivered, then they are dropped. Sorry but they aren’t in the cloud. Delivery of texts is not guaranteed, that’s why there is no confirmation of delivery or no indication of none delivery. You could send a text to a landline which obviously can’t receive it but you won’t get any undeliverable notification.

• 

159 Messages

3 years ago

That is not correct. Apple’s Continuity feature allows SMS (and other things) to be synced across all devices through iCloud. Technically only the phone handles the physical transmission, but you can read and write SMS messages on iPads and Macs.

OP, I’m not clear if you are talking about SMS or iMessage. For iMessage, you have to explicitly set up any numbers or emails you want to be associated with it.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

3 years ago

Technically only the phone handles the physical transmission, but you can read and write SMS messages on iPads and Macs.

True but that is by utilizing text message forwarding on an iPhone and you still need the phone for the actual sending and receiving of texts. In fact I do that myself between my iPhone and WiFi only iPad. The OP is talking about a cellular iPad with a number assigned for cellular data. That number can not receive texts but it can receive iMessages.

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I have a personal iphone and an ipad (not the one I referred to above) and the ipad receives only texts from apple devices - when connected to wifi. So, the foregoing collection of answers makes sense to me.

If I had the ipad but no phone account, I could still receive imessages using an email address when connected to wifi.

I appreciate the answers because this will save me the trouble of contacting AT & T trying to retrieve messages !!

-Brent

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.