Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

Contributor

• 

8 Messages

Tue, Feb 4, 2020 8:32 PM

format of txt.att.net messages

Is there more detail available on the mapping of email message content to the content of text messages? For example...

How do the fields of the email get mapped to the content of the text message? I see that I get text messages with FRM: and MSG: headers, can I get rid of those headers so as to have more room for my message?

Can I control the "phone number" that the text message appears to come from? For example, can I make it come from "my" phone number?

Thanks.

Responses

mobilemax

Employee

• 

796 Messages

2 months ago

Hello,

No, this is an outdated way of messaging to email, used back when smartphones were new and flip phones were relevant. It doesn’t allow for customizing options, it will show “younumber@txt.att.net” because that’s what it is sent from and the MSG: to start thread and RE: for reply. No wya to change, use regular email to have more space.

(edited)

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Contributor

• 

8 Messages

@mobilemax Note that I'm not messaging *to* email, I'm messaging *from* email. I want to control the format of the text message that's received.

I'm sending a text (via email) rather than just sending an email because I want the notification characterics of a text message.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

36.1K Messages

2 months ago

Can I control the "phone number" that the text message appears to come from? For example, can I make it come from "my" phone number?

No. When you use txt.att.net, the number that the text comes from is an ATT number and constantly changes. If you use mms.att.net, the source will be the originating email address, not a number.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

8 Messages

@sandblaster So what are the rules for sending to mms.att.net? Can I send a plain text message, with no picture or video, and have it appear just like it does with txt.att.net, except it appears to come from my phone number instead of some random AT&T number? (Although I don't know how it would figure out my phone number given just my email address.)

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

36.1K Messages

Yes, you can send just text to mms.att.net, you don’t have to have a picture or video.The receiver will see it coming from the sending email address, not a phone number.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

8 Messages

Oh very nice! The text message appears to come from the sending email address, the subject appears as the first like of the message in bold font, and the plain text body appears as the rest of the message

Perfect! Thanks for your help!

Contributor

• 

8 Messages

Well, it's not quite as simple as I described above. Apparently theres some validation of the sending email address being doing, and if it doesn't like the sending email address, that appears in bold as the first line, instead of the Subject, and the Subject is lost.

I haven't figured out what the vaidation rules are so I'm not sure how to reliably get the Subject to appear.

Contributor

• 

8 Messages

I'm doing all my testing on my iPhone and it may actually be the iPhone that's doing the address validation based on what's in my Contacts.

AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…