Announcements
HBO Max - where HBO meets so much more!

Teacher

• 

2 Messages

Fri, Jun 7, 2019 5:17 PM

FCC Greenlight to block Robocalls

There was a FCC ruling today that permits wireless carriers to block unwanted “Robocalls”.  A friend of mine is on a competitive carrier and they receive a caller ID of “telemarketer” on screen when receiving these calls. Does ATT plan on implementing a similar feature or blocking these by default as permitted by the FCC now?

Responses

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

10 months ago

Thank you for this helpful response though I really appreciate it and your input.

romad

Scholar

• 

345 Messages

10 months ago

Well, @Sstone60, my telemarketing and robo calls are down to an average of about 4 per week! Admittedly, it took a few years, but it DOES work.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 months ago

You are just full of awesomeness! Great info (but frustrating info about the fix that isn’t happening). They should hire you to fix this. However, I suspect you already have a great job in the IT world.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 months ago

Most of my calls are "robocalls" these days even though I have confirmed that I am on the Do Not Call registry and have been since 12/14 !  Either I ignore the ringing phone (irritating if I have company) or I answer "City Name Police Department, Fraud Division.  May I help you ?"  Then, there is usually a hang-up.  Telling the caller to put me on their "Do Not Call" list just means that they use another name & phone # the next time.  So, if the Do Not Call registry does not work, as seems to be the case, why hasn't ATT created another system ?

romad

Scholar

• 

345 Messages

10 months ago

AT&T doesn't handle the "Do Not Call" registry; it is under the auspices of the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). So for questions regarding the DNC registry, you need to contact the FTC.

The telcos have just been given authorization by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to block robocalls as described in the title of this thread.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 months ago

Can that Magic Jack Plus be installed on cell phones, house phones or both?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 months ago

What if you verified that a call came from a real person by using a combination of sent/read receipts type system? If a call comes through, then the cell/home phone creates an original trace signal and then bounces the signal back to the last phone or proxy before the call is sent to the user. If the tracer signal bounces right back to the cell phone/LAN line then it came from one origin and the call is verified. If the tracer signal is routed away and then comes back then it is hitting proxies and is likely a scam call and is blocked or flagged as problematic. FYI I have no tech experience; just want to take a shot in the dark at helping solve a very big problem.

waccessw

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

9 months ago

I use nomorobo to block landline calls, and I'm on ATT. Not sure why it doesn't work for you. Maybe this is something new? 

romad

Scholar

• 

345 Messages

9 months ago

@waccessw  wrote:

I use nomorobo to block landline calls, and I'm on ATT. Not sure why it doesn't work for you. Maybe this is something new? 

I went to Nomorobo's website and was told this:

"Looks like you need to contact your provider!

"Unfortunately, AT&T (Traditional Landline) doesn't support Nomorobo yet."

So IF you are using Nomorobo with AT&T, then it must be with a VOIP line or a mobile line.

waccessw

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

9 months ago

Sorry, Romad. Yes. It's a VOIP line.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 months ago

If you can't stop em ***** seen a YouTube ad where theirs an app for a robot that answers telemarketing calls. Dude didn't like it when the bot was asking the questions a little payback 4 the headache

[word filter avoidance]

romad

Scholar

• 

345 Messages

9 months ago

If you can't stop em ***** seen a YouTube ad where theirs an app for a robot that answers telemarketing calls. Dude didn't like it when the bot was asking the questions a little payback 4 the headache

Was it this:  https://jollyrogertelephone.com/ ?

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.4K Messages

9 months ago

@Robbyford1127 wrote:

What if you verified that a call came from a real person by using a combination of sent/read receipts type system? If a call comes through, then the cell/home phone creates an original trace signal and then bounces the signal back to the last phone or proxy before the call is sent to the user. If the tracer signal bounces right back to the cell phone/LAN line then it came from one origin and the call is verified. If the tracer signal is routed away and then comes back then it is hitting proxies and is likely a scam call and is blocked or flagged as problematic. FYI I have no tech experience; just want to take a shot in the dark at helping solve a very big problem.

This is possible, but would require EVERY operator out there (probably thousands in NA, 10's of thousands, world-wide, just a guess though), using the protocol, or an inherited one.

This is also why it's not really possible to really make forward progress here; every time a new mechanism is put in place, those placing these calls simply figure out a new way to route it through a VPN (where none of the packet data is trace-able, after just one-hop, really, imagine 5 hops, or more...).

Maybe someday, at least most of the world will get on-board with something like this.  Or maybe someone will come up with a cool AI algorithm, to "traverse multiple robocalls" and recognize inherent patterns (which almost certainly have to exist, given the nature of the calls).  

That'd probably lead to use of random intervals or number-traversals, which would need another round of trying to figure out an "enhanced new algorithm".

I think that ultimately, common, REQUIRED metadata (this is the "receipt" part you mention), that's highly secured and is not modifiable, EXCEPT at origination, will need to be required by ALL, or nearly all operators out there. If everyone refused to move calls along, without this, even the the VPN scenario would fail, for the bad-guys, at least in terms of current tech.  I can't even comprehend what it would take though, to make this happen (the big 3-4 can't even agree on how to deal with RCS right now, for example, and it's all spelled-out for them).

So yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath ;-]

@romad That's a good one.  Almost like "pitting a BOT against a BOT", which can get ugly, FAST, too bad for the incoming callers ;-]

I admit, I've done some "one offs" like this, myself, for a bit, trying to tie a telemarketer or other scammer "in knots", but not 5+ minutes worth; I might last 30-60 seconds, just enough to really frustrate them, before hanging up...

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 months ago

It sounds like if it were to happen it would have to be on an agreed upon world government legislative level, which as you said is a long way off lol. Thank you for your in-depth and thorough response

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

7K Messages

9 months ago

See this topic for the latest news on what's being done about robocalls. 

This is a user to user help forum. It is not an AT&T support site. I am not an AT&T employee, read the ACE's disclaimer at the bottom of this post

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.