Shop Now, Avoid Delays - Get Our Best Holiday Deals!
Check Your Usage History
RAREGU's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tue, Sep 23, 2014 6:59 PM

Family Data Plan

In a time where there is never enough data to do all that we need, I wonder why ATT hasn't come up with a better plan for families. Tmobile is allowing free data to stream music, why can't we share unlimmited photos with each other? I had to turn off the data on one of my lines because of it using too uch data. Today is my grandson's fourth birthday and I will not be getting any pictures of him. It makes it especially hard when you have one family member that is a data hog to share on 10 GB. She has used this much and more on her own. ATT used to have a feature where its users could call unlimmited to 10 people. All the had to do was list the phone #'s on their account. Well why not allow us up to 10 of our favorite people to share data with? As much as we pay for cell phone accounts, we should get something in return.

Also, I should be able to view my cell phone account on MyATT on my device without having to use my data.

GeekBoy

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

7 y ago

With your current plan (Mobile Share plans) you already have unlimited calling to all numbers (not jsut a few) as well as unlimited text messages, including many international text messages. Data is the only thing that is really limited. You can still take photos and videos with your cell phone, but you may need to share tehm when connected to wifi rather than when on cellular data. Also, if you need, you can sign up for higher data plans than 10GB. If you have one person alone using 10GB of cellular data, then perhaps you need to teach that person how to "share" the data with other users and to connect to wifi when possible as then they won't be hoggin all the cellular data on your plan. My wife & I share 10GB of data each month, and generally she uses abou 2/3 of our total usage, but for us that isn't a problem because we still have plenty to spare for now.
sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

54.5K Messages

7 y ago

Don't forget you can also send/receive photos via text (MMS) messages and they don't use data. Of course, you still must have cellular data turned on.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 y ago

I have two 21 yr olds on my plan that have iPhones. It's impossible to teach either of them to cut their data usage. I have to turn it off once they reach 3 to 4 GB each or we will continue going over. As for the data plans, they are rediculously priced. I already pay 100 for the 10 GB. ATT is one of the most costly cell phone carriers next to Verizon which has much better service. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. We live in areas where we can't take advatange of free wifi connections. Att has proven to have better coverage than some other companies so I have stayed with them.
It is very dissapointing to have data phones that are capable of sharing and using all of their technology, but not enough data to do so.

Rachel R. G[edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 y ago

Why does the data need to be turned on if its not going to use data? That doesn't make sense.
sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

54.5K Messages

7 y ago

MMS (picture messages) requires a data connection to work but since it is part of the unlimited texting, it does not count against the data alotment. However, if cellular data is turned off, then MMS won't work.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 y ago

ATT used to have unlimited data.  They eliminated this about 4 years ago.  My husband and my self still have that all plan but the new additions to the family plan (my daughter) no, and it is killing us!!! She have 3Gg and it is not enough.  She excedes at least 3 times in the cycle and we paid more on her  cell than in all the family plan of 5 lines.  We are considering to change her to Sprint.  At lest we will not have a headache everytime she excedes. 

Resendetra

Scholar

• 

124 Messages

7 y ago

@RAREGU wrote:
Why does the data need to be turned on if its not going to use data? That doesn't make sense.

Just as sandblaster said. Since picture messages are apart of the unlimited texting, it will not count toward data, but you do have to have mobile data turned on. I guess it's because you are sending a piece of media (photo, video, sound, etc.), so it needs to go through the network and then be downloaded onto the other persons phone. Though, since unlimited text messaging includes MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service), it will not be taken from your actual data. It's like that with all carriers that I know of.

As for people using too much data. I don't think I would stand for that and take them off my plan as soon as I could. If someone doesn't know how to share, they shouldn't be on a plan that shares data. Maybe Boost Mobile may work better for them, because then it's unlimited everything for $55 a month. My boyfriend and I have the 10GB share plan, we barely go over 5GB a month, but that's mostly because we use WiFi when at home or at a friends house. Though, we have noticed that since LTE came to our area, we have been using a bit more data, but nothing too serious.

manapuaman

Guru

• 

115 Messages

7 y ago

children are so spoiled nowadays. But I agree with at least myatt being free. If facebook and YouTube were free I could probably go down to a 1 gig family plan. Lol

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.