Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
jccens's profile

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

Mon, Jul 14, 2014 11:05 PM

Extra data not used, disappears.

I"ve recently broke down and let my youngest child of 16 get a new smart phone. Promising she would not go over the limit of data usage. Yea I know. Most of the times she does really good. But I have noticed that when she does go over the limit we recieve notices and we get charged $10.00 for another GB. I understand that. This usually happens right at the end of the billing cycle and all of the extra DATA has not been used. I would like to assume that since it has been payed for, all of the unused extra DATA would be carried over to the following month. Only the extra DATA. 

Responses

ATTDmitriyCM

Community Manager

• 

9.7K Messages

7 y ago

Hello jccens,

Unfortunately there is no roll over data, what it basically means is $10 get you an additional "up to" 1 GB of data before it'll be charged again. What plan do you have? You might be able to set up her phone to stop receiving data it she reached her limit instead of going over.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have an answer that worked for you? Help other users by marking helpful posts as an "Accepted Answer". And don't forget to leave a Like!

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

7 y ago

yeah, there isnt any roll over data. once a new month hits, your data starts all over. if going over the data is a problem, you have the choices to either turn data off or get smart limits for the line thats going over. you can set the limit for that phone, and they wont be able to go over the set limit. i used it for my nephew, and didnt have any problems. only thing that might happen and this solely depends on the make of your phone, if you choose to turn the data off, they wont be able to send or receive picture messages.

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

7 y ago

I can pay to limit her DATA. I realize also the normal Data does'nt roll over. I just feel that the extra DATA should. I'll read my fine print again. Thanks for you help.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

83.6K Messages

7 y ago

The expectation is that your 16 year old will chew through that "extra" data as well.
This is why I have a pooled plan with extended family. 10 GBs of data shared with 8 devices. My ex husband and mother hardly use any data, which leaves plenty for my kids and everyone gets a great rate.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question