Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Callie33021

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

Thu, Dec 14, 2017 4:52 PM

Excessive Data Usage on New iPhone 8

Why would I end up using so much data in one week with my new iPhone while observing same Internet habits as before when I owned a much older IPhone? In particular, the category Browsing and Technology shows high data usage. I understand Browsing but what constitutes Technology?

Responses

Anonymous

• 

25.7K Messages

3 years ago

They are telling you to turn it off because you do not want to go to the manufacturer. At&t is telling you ways to help manage your data usage since either by lack of knowledge or faulty device you are struggling with yourself. They don't have a magic switch to stop you from using data on your phone. That's under your control

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.1K Messages

3 years ago

Carriers are not Apple retail stores.  Neither is Best Buy, Target, Walmart, etc.  Apple PROHIBITS anyone from touching their devices.

Apple warranty. https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/ios-warranty-document-us.html

HOW TO OBTAIN WARRANTY SERVICE?

Please access and review the online help resources described below before seeking warranty service. If the Apple Product is still not functioning properly after making use of these resources, please contact an Apple representative or, if applicable, an Apple owned retail store ("Apple Retail") or AASP, using the information provided below. An Apple representative or AASP will help determine whether your Apple Product requires service and, if it does, will inform you how Apple will provide it. When contacting Apple via telephone, other charges may apply depending on your location.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

3 years ago

Like I said, I do not know if the problem is a defective phone.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

3 years ago

AT&T did tell my daughter to go to the manufacturer. AT&T told my
daughter which items needed to be shut down in the setting to stop the
problem. His fix did not solve the problem of excessive data use.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

3 years ago

When my daughter still found that the suggested fix did not work she
called AT&T customer service. They told her that the person who looked
at her phone was supposed to plug it in and he could tell her if there
was a problem with the phone. He did not do that, and why is your
customer service rep telling the customer that a AT&T store rep was
supposed to test the phone. We are the customers, if the customer
service reps are not giving out the correct information, how are the
customers expected to kno what needs to be done with the phone they
bought from AT&T. And congratulations for doing your job and finally
reading the information that the customer is supposed to read. And like
I said, I did not read anything, I did not buy the phone.
 #- Please type your reply above this line -##

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

3 years ago

Should read, the AT&T rep did not tell my daughter to go to the
manufacturer-correction.
##-
Please type your reply above this line -##

---
Anonymous

• 

25.7K Messages

3 years ago

Your phone settings tells you where your data has gone under cellular. It will tell you the entire time frame since it was last reset or set up if it's never been reset

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

3 years ago

You are not helpful at all. I do not know if you are a representative of
AT&T. Either way I will attempt to solve this problem by other means
since AT&T failed to take any initiative to provide a resolution to the
problem other than claiming they have no responsibility.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.1K Messages

3 years ago

@Unsatisfied2018  If you or your daughter had gone to the link on data management it covers many things and shows pictures.  Since it’s HER phone, let HER do it.  

Data does not evaporate.  It is used by apps or systems on the phone.  

Once she sees what is using data, she can make changes, or will determine it’s defective. 

IMG_5236.JPGIMG_5237.JPG

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Anonymous

• 

25.7K Messages

3 years ago

In my response on that one I accidentally read the original post instead of yours, to respond to what you said: just because you didn't read it doesn't absolve you of it. It was in your copy last time you signed. It's not just on apples, it's in all of them. So basically, currently you have a contract that you and an authorized person on your behalf signed and now you refuse to be held to the contract. 

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

3 years ago

Like I said before several times, I do not know or even believe the
problem is a defective phone. That is why AT&T was contacted on several
occasions and suggested a fix for the problem. So right there they were
trying to fix the problem, so you are saying that AT&T is in breach of
their contract with Apple because only Apple can work on their phones.
Do not send further emails to me. I will go up the ladder to find my
solution, thank you.
Anonymous

• 

25.7K Messages

3 years ago

I said they can't do warranty exchanges. They offered ways to lower your data usage, and you have complained about it in the thread. You got upset they told you how to use less data (turning off services that don't use data), you don't think it's the phone so what exactly are you wanting? You want the phone to magically use less data withiut actually using less data by the sounds of it. 

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.1K Messages

3 years ago

@Unsatisfied2018 wrote:
Like I said before several times, I do not know or even believe the
problem is a defective phone.
That means it’s user error.  You have repeatedly said it’s not your phone.  Then put it on your daughter to figure it out.  It’s clear you have no idea how much or what she used here data for.
That is why AT&T was contacted on several
occasions and suggested a fix for the problem. So right there they were
trying to fix the problem, so you are saying that AT&T is in breach of
their contract with Apple because only Apple can work on their phones.
Instructing your daughter on settings is not “working on the phone”    Repair or replacement must go through Apple.   
Do not send further emails to me. I will go up the ladder to find my
solution, thank you.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

3 years ago

Like I have said before, I bought a Moto G5 that is very fast and does
everything that I want it to do. It takes decent photos as well and uses
a samsung sensor. It was $750.00 dollars cheaper. I do not need to turn
things off because it does not use excessive data like the Iphone.  So a
phone can run fast and not eat up data.  I wouldn't trade it for an
Iphone which breaks easily and a manufacturer which slows down the phone
after a couple of years so you have to buy a new one.  I believe the
carrier and Apple may have made a deal with the carriers to put out a
phone that chews up data so the carriers can charge their customers more
money. That is what I suspect.

e type your reply above this line -##

---
Anonymous

• 

25.7K Messages

3 years ago

So don't buy iPhones. You won't find any credible evidence of it. iPhones are among the most heavily inspected and reviewed phones, and literally you are the only person on millions that believes that apple has the phones set up to use more data than they actually are. Can't be that she's using more data, simply can't be that. Much more likely that there's a multi-billion dollar collusion affoot. I hate iPhones and apples policies and even I know there's no footing to your claims. 

Get started...

Ask a new question