For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
sniperct's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, January 9th, 2013 7:49 AM

Earlier notification of approaching data cap.

I got an iPhone 5 recently, grandfathered with the unlimited data plan. I got a notification that I was approaching throttling limit at around 4.8gb. Considering how quickly you can burn through 200mb on LTE without really realizing it, is there a way to have a notification around 4gb? A bit more leeway would be nice.

I figure I need to not use teamviewer so much Smiley Surprised That has to be the culprit. Though I'm not sure what changed. I've used it before on my iphone 4 and never blew through the data this fast before.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

11 years ago

@sniperct wrote:

I got an iPhone 5 recently, grandfathered with the unlimited data plan. I got a notification that I was approaching throttling limit at around 4.8gb. Considering how quickly you can burn through 200mb on LTE without really realizing it, is there a way to have a notification around 4gb? A bit more leeway would be nice.

I figure I need to not use teamviewer so much Smiley Surprised That has to be the culprit. Though I'm not sure what changed. I've used it before on my iphone 4 and never blew through the data this fast before.

Hi! Anytime you want to check your data usage, you can do so by dialing *DATA# (*3282#) from your smartphone for a free text message detailing your usage. Visit  here for more information on alerts and usage.

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

@sniperct wrote:

Also, your iPhone 5 is 4G LTE, I believe, where your iPhone 4 was, most likely, a 3G device. 4G LTE will blow through data much faster.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Yeah,  LTE is a main culprit, but video viewing and Teamviewer are probably what's causing the overage.  You have 5GB on your "unlimited" plan because of LTE, which really should be 10GB.  Then they limited you after that.  You can check your usage by texting *3282#  It's amazing AT&T still gets away with this illegal throttling.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.