Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

• 

1 Message

Fri, Feb 21, 2020 8:30 AM

Does My Data Usage Affect Everyone On My Plan?

My family has an AT&T Unlimited Plan which I take a lot of advantage of since I just moved away from my family and don’t have WiFi. So I use several GB of data a month. Yesterday my father turned my data off because he said that since I used so much data that it was making his phone slower. I’m confused though since I thought that it would only slow my data down not everyone’s on the plan. Am I wrong? Does my data usage actually affect everyone on my plan or maybe was my father just suffering from bad service?

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

71.7K Messages

a month ago

Nope, dad is wrong, your usage does not effect anyone else.

Dad got reprioritised, temporarily. If you are all on the lowest tier unlimited, any individual user can be reprioritized if there is tower congestion. Dad’s use doesnt effect anyone else. Neither does yours.

You share a plan, but data is an individual resource.

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…