Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need your talk or text logs?
CptTray's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, January 9th, 2017 8:51 PM

Closed

Does att charge for wifi calling?

Hi I am a student at SGU on the island of Grenada, which att does not cover with there international plan, however could i use the wifi call/text fuction in the iphone to call/text and receive calls/texts form the us? It looks like it might work without adding extra charges to the account. but I would rather be certain before I go running up a fat bill.

Thanks

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@Baaarb Ok, I think I understand what this is. I do not have the “Calls from iPhone” switch turned on. So to answer your original question, turning the upgrade to WiFi calling I am quite certain will not cost you anything. Your wireless bill will not go up.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you guys for your help

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

This is confusing.  The ATT WiFi calling page says that international plans apply when making an international call using WiFi calling.  Is that not the case if you make a call to the US when in Europe?  (Germany, UK)?  

More specifically, is there a charge for making a call to the US from Europe while under an ATT plan (no international roaming) if I use WiFi calling?

Thanks!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I have Unlimited calls Text and 6GB internet in USA, I'm on Vacation in Morocco, I have stopped the data from my cellphone and activated Wifi Calling and text msg. I only use my cellphone when I'm connected on Wifi to call USA from Morocco.  do I will be charged Extra for making call and receiving text msg via wifi?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@m.srayi wrote:

I have Unlimited calls Text and 6GB internet in USA, I'm on Vacation in Morocco, I have stopped the data from my cellphone and activated Wifi Calling and text msg. I only use my cellphone when I'm connected on Wifi to call USA from Morocco.  do I will be charged Extra for making call and receiving text msg via wifi?

No, there are no extra charges for calling US numbers or texting. All of your usage on WiFi calling is the same as if your phone was in the US. Now, if you call a Morocco number, you would be charged  for international long distance. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Be very careful! We went to Paris and Dubai recently and turned off cellular, turned off roaming, turned off data. We connected to the hotel WiFi and several calls came through, we browse the internet, and sent iMessages, however when we got back to the USA, AT&T hit us with roaming charges and told us that WiFi calling is NOT free. They said the only way to avoid charges was to turn on airplane mode which is stupid since you wouldn’t be able to use the a local WiFi when airplane mode is on.

Of course I escalated this and they credited us most of the charges! 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@PhonePaidSwitch What you were told is misleading if not blatantly wrong. There are no roaming charges on WiFi calling. If you got charged, you either weren’t on WiFi calling or you made long distance calls. Just being connected to WiFi is not enough. You are not on WiFi calling unless you see “AT&T WiFi” on your display. If you are actually on WiFi calling, any call you place is if you were calling from the US so if you are in Paris and call a Paris number, then you pay long distance charges. You also can turn airplane mode on, then turn WiFi on. Airplane mode turns off all cellular radios so it is not possible to roam on someone else’s network.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks for your response but everything was off except WiFi and we only made and received calls from USA numbers while we were in Paris and Dubai. By the way, I sold, activated, and troubleshoot cell phones for 12 years so I made sure that all cellular settings were off! I used to advise customers how to avoid roaming charges when traveling abroad way before WiFi calling came on the scene. I guarantee you that LTE voice and data roaming was off. I set these features in the USA and the phone is basically a door stopper, nothing works unless WiFi is connected!! So it was surprising to be charged when all we did was make and receive calls from USA numbers! Go figure that one out!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

what do you mean post paid? I have an iPhone and have AT&T as my provider. I will be in Australia 2 months and want to call and text to the states. And text to Australia numbers. can I do it all for free if I am only using Wifi?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I have post paid too. WiFi calling and texting is supposed to be free from anywhere in the world as long as you are calling and texting a US number, you basically used the minutes and text in your plan. If you call and text a US number while in Australia on WiFi only, there should not be any charge!! However, if you call or text an Australia number the charge will be the same as if you were in the USA calling or texting that Australia number! (Basically an international call).

Double check with ATT before you go. We turned off everything on our phones except WiFi and I was still charged, and we only call and text USA number via WiFi. The nice thing is that ATT refunded majority of the charges. Someone from ATT need to clarify why people are being charged when all the cellular settings were off!
They tell me I would have to turn on airplane mode in order not to be charged, probably ATT rep is not aware that when you are on airplane mode all wireless connections, including WiFi are off, your phone is basically a camera and an iPod at that time!

Hope this helps!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.