Need your talk or text logs?
jay90's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Sunday, October 19th, 2008 1:20 AM

Closed

Can receive text but cannot send? Help?

Hi, I recently added text to my phone yesterday. I added unlimited text to my phone only (I have a plan with my parents). However, I'm not able to send text but I can receive them. Can anyone identify and help me fix this problem?

Thank you.

Accepted Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

16 years ago

You're welcome. 🙂

Sorry if I didn't make it very clear at first - yes - you need +13123149810 in the spot where you said you have a pink asterisk (the "message center number" is probably what it is called in your menu). 

If you put your own phone number there, it won't work - it's a gateway number (to a server) that all the text messaging goes "through" in order to get routed to the person's carrier that you are sending to. 🙂  (That's probably not technically right, but hopefully it's close enough for "reason". lol!)

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

16 years ago

Within the messaging settings for your phone, is the message service center number +13123149810?

Also, what kind of phone do you have?  (If you'll add it to your profile here, that will help others give you more specific answers. 🙂 )  Some phones also have a setting to specify that SMS are sent via GSM (not GPRS).

Message Edited by hme83 on 10-18-2008 08:29:48 PM

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

16 years ago

Sorry, but I'm really handicapped when it comes to phones. How do I even know what my message center number is?

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

16 years ago

That's OK - what kind of phone do you have?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

16 years ago

I'm fairly new to this site as well, sorry again ha Smiley Indifferent I have a nokieE62

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

16 years ago

No problem - go to "menu/messaging/options/settings/text message".  I have an E70, not E62, so my menu may be slightly different, but hopefully that will get you in the right vicinity.

You should find an option about "message centers" - under it, select SMS settings.  The message service center number should there.

Here's a link to the tutorial/setup information from at&t's support webpage for the E62.  It looks like it's menu is basically like mine.  This should help - you'll need to also verify that the preferred connection is "GSM/UMTS" as it indicates.

http://www.wireless.att.com/support/tutorials.do?tutorialPage=page2&universe=att&deviceId=9080&tutorialsCategory=Text+Messaging-SMS&tutorialId=305540

If you follow this with no luck, then you'll need to contact customer service (1-800-331-0500) from a phone other than your E62 so they can verify your account provisioning for SMS has been done correctly.

Message Edited by hme83 on 10-18-2008 08:47:12 PM

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

16 years ago

Our setting are very much alike 🙂 However, when I went into "Message Center" I did not see SMS, instead, it showed Message Center once more and when clicked again, I got "Msg. Center Name" and "Msg. Center Number". Would that be the same if it wasn't directly from clicking SMS? The number that is listed is my cell phone number too by the way.

I appreciate the time you're taking to answer and help me too 🙂 thank you!

edit:
also, there is a pink asterisk by my number. i'm assuming that is bad

Message Edited by jay90 on 10-18-2008 06:46:17 PM

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

16 years ago

@jay90 wrote:
Our setting are very much alike 🙂 However, when I went into "Message Center" I did not see SMS, instead, it showed Message Center once more and when clicked again, I got "Msg. Center Name" and "Msg. Center Number". Would that be the same if it wasn't directly from clicking SMS? The number that is listed is my cell phone number too by the way.

I appreciate the time you're taking to answer and help me too 🙂 thank you!

edit:
also, there is a pink asterisk by my number. i'm assuming that is bad

Message Edited by jay90 on 10-18-2008 06:46:17 PM

Sounds like you are at the right spot for the message service center number.  I have a red asterisk, so I don't think that's bad. 😉  And the "message center name" is actually user defined - not important - you can change it to anything that makes sense to you. 🙂  It's the number that's important - your's does have the leading +1, correct?  (important!)

The other thing I would check - pop back out of that menu by one so you are in just the message settings menu for text messages - make sure the "message center in use" is the one you just looked at (with the correct service center number), and make sure the "preferred connection" is GSM/UMTS, not packet data.

Oh, and you do have an "Orange" (at&t/Cingular) not "Blue" account (old ATTWS), right?  "Blue" has a different service center number - but I don't know if they have unlimited SMS packages, so I assumed you are "Orange".

Message Edited by hme83 on 10-18-2008 08:56:58 PM

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

16 years ago

Everything seems to be correct by the steps you have told me. I did not have the +1 in front of my number. I did add that and I tried to text someone. this time I got the "Failure to Send" message in a heartbeat. When I did not have the +1 it would say Resend about 5 times in my Outbox. And I do have it on GMS/UMTS. I also have at&t/cingular (I had cingular).

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

16 years ago

Sorry - just so I'm clear about what you said - the message service center number that you now have programmed is +13123149810?  Not your own cell phone number, right?

I don't know if your E62 will show this setting (my E70 is unbranded) - it's not indicated in the tutorial, but if you have a setting "message sent as" - make sure it's set to "text".  Other than that - try turning your phone off for a couple of minutes, then back on - and if those things don't correct it, I'd contact customer service.  The provisioning for messaging has been known to get messed up when you add an unlimited messaging package through the system - although it's been awhile since I've seen that complaint here.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.