For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
Sozin91's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, March 16th, 2018 4:23 PM

BEWARE: AT&T doesn't know how to resolve their Numbersync fraud issue

I received a series of texts the other day letting me know that Numbersync had been added to my account. I figured this was a new feature that was added and would allow my ipad to make calls so I didn't think anything of it. This morning I received a text saying that over $400 in international calls was made on my account and that I had to call in to avoid my services being shut off. After 30 minutes on hold waiting for a customer service agent to transfer me to the fraud department, my call was connected. I explained my story and was told that I needed to turn off wifi on my iPhone and she removed numbersync from my account. She then told me I had to keep my wifi off for 24-48 hours or the hackers could rack up more charges. I asked if I would be notified in that time frame that it was safe to turn wifi back on. She said no. So I asked, what if I turn on wifi after 25 hours, or 36 hours, am I safe then? She said she doesn't know and that AT&T doesn't really know how to fix the issue, that is just what they are advising them to say to customers. 

I said that I need wifi on my phone, because I use a lot of data and if I have to use my data plan it will end up costing me hundreds of dollars in overage fees. She said you don't have to keep wifi off but because you said that, I am notating on the account that I advised you to keep wifi off for 24-48 hours and that you are now responsible for any charges that are made after this point. 

So AT&T adds a feature that I don't want. It is hacked through no fault of my own. And they can turn off the feature but not permanently disable it so it can be turned on by anyone in the future (which is what they did last time). And as part of their "fix" which as of this moment they don't know if it will even work I am unable to use my device that I spent over $1000 on for anywhere between 24-48 hours. And since I questioned the logic of their so called "fix" because that rep put a note on the account I am now on the hook for all fraudulent charges from this point forward. And the kicker, they can't even remove the charges from the account until they actually show up on the bill. So I have to wait for a bill to be generated, then call back in, spending more time on the phone, to have the charges removed. 

I don't understand how this is an acceptable way to treat a customer. It is scary enough when fraud happens to you and you are charged hundreds of dollars. But to then say that I am now responsible for any fraud that happens on my account for merely asking a question is just mean and insensitive. I have never been so let down by a company before in my life. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

I had the same thing happen to me 12March2018, I received a text that numbersynch was successfully synched! However, i told them this was totally UNAUTHORIZED and canceled the same day. SOMEONE at AT&T HAD TO APPROVE SYNCHING MY PHONE NUMBER to a DEVICE, YES? Despite 4 phone calls to customer service. No one mentioned any breech or additional charges being made on my account. Until I found out later on my own, $1700 in overseas calls Serbia. I had been with AT&T for at least 10 years, only cell phones, no additional devices and NO overseas calls ever !!! I was so frustrated with AT&T,  canceled my family plan! Now they want to charge me weeks when I didn't even have service with them due to cycle dates! This is all fraud!!! 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

ATT could implement calling or texting any of the phone numbers on my plan for confirmation.... before synching my number, yes? 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

6 years ago

@CTMG121

You could have resecured your account and had the fraud charges removed.  Simple.

Service is NOT prorated if you cancel.  No carrier prorates the final bill.  It’s in your TOS, you agreed to it.  Check your new carrier too....  billing is MONTH to MONTH.  Not day to day.   Your final bill was correct.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

LIZ, you miss the point entirely!!! Bad customer service/hacked accounts = loss of customers!!!! AT&T is responsible for not doing enough to protect customer information and their systems from hacking! If you were a fraud victim, I am sure you wouldn't have a SIMPLE experience trying to clear it up!!!! No worries, if it's not addressed by AT&T soon, I'm sure more innocent people will be affected! Nothing like blaming the victim! 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

6 years ago

@CTMG121  You made 2 points.  One valid, one not.  

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

AT&T has NO CORRECTIVE ACTION PLAN for this FRAUD with THEIR SYSTEMS. THEY HAVE NO RESPONSE as to why THEY are SYNCING numbers WITHOUT ANY VERIFICATION (PHONECALL,TEXT, EMAIL, MAIL, ETC.) 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

6 years ago

@CTMG121

That was then....   ATT took immediate action after this breach.  My number synced device was disconnected and required I re- approve with code to My connected cell phone.  

The tablet was disconnected again after a software update this week, and re-approval was again required through my cell phone.  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Honestly, no matter how "on top of things" Companies try to be, fraudsters will always find a way to be AT LEAST 1 step ahead!   I use the numbersync feature with my Alexa.  My kids can call me through Alexa and I can "drop in" through Alexa. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.