Need your talk or text logs?
zhanex3's profile

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

Friday, December 5th, 2014 2:59 AM

Assigning a public ip address to my Usb Modem Account.

Hi,

I have a usb modem on my 30 gb share everything plan, and I've been researching on how to have at&t assign a public ip to this line.  A public ip means that the device is reachable from the internet.  Basically other people and serices can reach me dirctly from the internet by my IP address.  Currently At&t assignses a private IP to my modem and this is not exposed publicly.

This makes online gaming especially terrible as it breaks connectivity to other players.

I've spent the last week researching this and contacting At&t support but none of them have any idea what I'm even talking about.  You can even find information on it here:

https://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter/solutions/connectivity/ip-addressing.jsp

I was wanting to have my account set up to use a Dynamic Public IP.  I've also read some info that says that my APN needs to be set to I2Gold for this, however mentioning this to customer support has also gone no where.  There's info about that APN here on At&t's developer site:

http://developer.att.com/technical-library/apns/apn-descriptions-and-characteristics

Can anyone help me set this up for my account? 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

8 years ago

You have to buy a static ip ($500) and then pay an extra fee monthly, however At&t won't let you purchase unless you're a business. Stupid yes, I guess they didn't want EVEN MORE money.

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

9 years ago

*bump*

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

bump..  i am havin gthe exact same question.  Any luck?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Ok, I understand about a public STATIC ip, but what about a public DYNAMIC ip address. How do I got about getting one of those?  I take it that means my device will hold the public IP address that can be reached from the Internet, right?  I can do port forwarding and such? I hope to setup an NVR with DDNS. Is that possible with this setup?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.