Advanced Messaging is AT&T's next generation messaging service.
Updates to your Messaging Service
Advanced Messaging is AT&T's next generation messaging service. With it, eligible customers can send high-resolution photos and larger video files, see when messages have been delivered and read, and even when others are typing a response. All without having to download additional apps or remember more passwords.
Features of Advanced Messaging
- Larger Files: Send high-quality pictures, and longer or high-resolution video file attachments up to 10MB in size.
- Delivery and Read Receipt: See when your messages have been delivered and read.
- Typing Notification: Know when the person you are messaging with is typing a response.
What do you need for Advanced Messaging
A device that supports advanced messaging. Go here to see if you device supports Advanced Messaging.
Make sure the firmware on your device is up to date.
If you have AT&T Private Mobile Connection, when provisioned with a data rate plan that allows Tethering, it will not work with Advanced Messaging.
Advanced Messaging is not available while roaming internationally, or when sending messages to someone on another carrier's network.
Both sender and receiver must:
- Be postpaid AT&T wireless customers using Advanced Messaging-capable devices that are turned on and in AT&T's owned and operated domestic network coverage.
- Have accounts set up for HD Voice, but they do not need to be in HD Voice coverage.
- Have Enhanced 4G LTE Services set to On (Settings > Data Usage > Mobile Data > Enhanced 4G LTE Services).
- Remove data or messaging blocks.
Note: If a customer on a Mobile Share Advantage/Mobile Share Flex/Mobile Share Plus plan exceeds their data allowance in a billing period, data speeds for all lines on the account are reduced to a maximum of 128kbps. When this happens, AT&T Video Call and Advanced Messaging is disabled on both the wireless network and Wi-Fi for the remainder of the billing period. Customers can change their plan to obtain a new allotment of high speed data.
Enabling and Disabling Advanced Messaging
- You can turn on/off Advanced Messaging in the Settings menu of the Messages application.
- In the Messenger App > Select More (in the upper-right corner) > Settings > Advanced Messaging, and check/uncheck Use Advanced Messaging.
David, AT&T Community Specialist
Need help with an account specific question? Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.