Shop Now, Avoid Delays - Get Our Best Holiday Deals!
Check Your Usage History
griff549's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sun, Nov 23, 2014 3:36 PM

16gb of data being used by one line in a 6hr period

so i checked my account today and went thru the actual usage of the data and 3 of my lines added together were less than 2gb but the 4th line pulled 4.3gb at 3pm 6.6gb at 6pm and 5.4gb at 9pm. i dont understand how it is possible to use that much data in a 6hr period anyone else have the same issue???

GeekBoy

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

7 y ago

That data was pulled during a 9 hour period (noon-3, 3-6, and 6-9). You can easily use that much data watching video, especially if you have a high res display and are downloading 1080p resolution videos. If that line has an iPhone 6 Plus, it will automatically download 1080p resolution videos, and eat through your data much quicker than if it's an older iPad that only supports 1024x768 resolution.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 y ago

This is a load of crap. Unless someone is literally downloading movie after movie after movie for 6 hours straight there is no way anyone can convince me that 1 single smart phone is burning over 15 gb in 1 day! My 6 year old daughter burned through 12 gb of data in a 6 day period on a tablet!! The data issue with AT&T is insane and I'm sure the FTC if not already will be looking into this issue just like they did a couple months ago when they sued AT&T for limiting speeds for the unlimited plan customers.  I am a tech geek and have great knowledge of how this all works. So get ready AT&T because your cusotmers are tired of being blamed and treated like crap for your lack of being a professional upstanding company that values their customers.

CUSTOMER SERVICE 101:

#1 RULE IN CUSTOMER SERVICE -

THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT

#2 RULE IN CUSTOMER SERVICE -

NEVER BLAIM YOUR CUSTOMER

#3 RULE IN CUSTOMER SERVICE -

SHOW EMPATHY

#4 RULE IN CUSTOMER SERVICE -

FIND A SOLUTION TO ENSURE 100% CUSTOMER SATISFACTION

I have been in customer service and phone sales for 15+ years and if any of my employees treated a customer the way AT&T treated me they would be fired immediately.   If it weren’t for customer's business a company would crumble and is why Customer Service is #1 in any consumer company.

NEVER BLAIM YOUR CUSTOMER

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

22.5K Messages

7 y ago

if someone left an app open in the back ground it could still consume data.  I can tell you I have never had a data billing problem with ATT.

bizhui

Scholar

• 

457 Messages

7 y ago

Nothing can be done. You have to get someone to take a look at your tablet. If you not sure how to use the tablet, I strongly suggest you to learn it from someone. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 y ago

Not if you have background data restricted. I replaced all my devices under warranty because of a lapse in the screen interface and as soon as I got the replacement phones and tablet low and behold no more data issues.

That is until my friend locked up her replacement phone and took the sim card and placed it in the original defective phone which within 6 hours of inserting that sim card burned 16 gb of data. AT&T blamed me for the data usage within our first 6 days of being a customer with AT&T so i accepted it because i wasnt fighting anymore and upgraded my data plan. 

Well when my friend used her original phone after locking up her replacement and burned 16 gb of data after having no data issues since receiving the replacement caused us to use all 30 gb of data in 2 weeks. AT&T's response even though I proved I was right the first time gave me a solution of shutting my data off for the remained of the billing cycle because the manager refused to look into the issue.  I do not pay money to not have service when ever I want to so I was forced once again to upgrade my data plan.

This company will not keep my business. There are many many companies who will pay off ETF's and buy your phones if your on the Next program that have outstanding customer and network service. I am not the only one who feels treat like crap by at&t customer service.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 y ago

I am well beyond advanced with computers, tablets, smart phones, networks ect. Enough that I teach people on a daily basis about all of the above.  This is why no one can convice me of the insane data usage we have experienced being something we did and I even proved it but AT&T doesnt care about their customers satisfaction.

GeekBoy

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

7 y ago

@amber81 wrote:

I am well beyond advanced with computers, tablets, smart phones, networks ect. Enough that I teach people on a daily basis about all of the above.  This is why no one can convice me of the insane data usage we have experienced being something we did and I even proved it but AT&T doesnt care about their customers satisfaction.

I would be interested to see how you could "prove" your claims.  With the way the AT&T billing system works, it is nearly impossible to prove your billing information is incorrect without accumulating information for many months, due to the way roaming charged are delayed in appearign on your bill.  As I have stated previously, I tracked my data useage over 12 months, and the data usage "meter" on my iPhone 5 reported within a small variance to be the same as what AT&T reported over that same 12 month period (the phone reported about 19.1GB used where AT&T reported about 19.2GB used over the entire time).

Trying to audit at a single month level is pointless with the potential delays in information making it into the billing system.  Roaming data could be delayed by 60 days (or more) before it makes it into the AT&T billing system, so you may have data appearing on your bill this month for usage you had last month of even the month before.

If you could let us know how you could "prove" your data usage bill was incorrect, that would be very helpful.  Chances are your "proof" is making some incorrect assumptions, but without the details, we only have your word that it is accurate, and your refusal to accept any explanations.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 y ago

Your obviously not the one that could do anything about it. I have explained
time and time again that the original devices where causing the high data
usage. Point blank there is no explanation telling me that its our fault as
the user because I am obviously a lot smarter than some customers who call
in complaining about high data usage. Every explanation I receive I have a
rebuttal for because it doesn't apply to my situation. I know my phone and I
know technology very very well.

Ill break it down 1 more time.

Original devices burned between 5-15 gb per day

Replaced devices under warranty for manufacturer screen defect

New devices no high data usage

1 New device locked up so used original device until figuring out how to
unlock new device and burned 16 gb in less than 8 hours

IT'S THE DEVICES THAT ARE DEFECTIVE

I tried having the devices replaced because of the data issue on the 6th day
of our new contract and they wouldn't do it so I eventually had them
replaced because the screen kept changes pages when trying to open an app.
Which the cause is because of a lapse in the screen interface.

The data issue has cost me an additional $60 PER MONTH

Amber

[Personal information removed]

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

22.5K Messages

7 y ago

if you have a defective phone thats not att's fault.  Its the oem of the phone.  

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.