For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
lilaold1's profile

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, May 1st, 2022 10:14 PM

NHK just disappeared today, has it been dropped?

sf bay area - where is it listed now??

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

2 years ago

The conversation replies have nothing to do with voicing opinions. I would be upset too if one of my favorite stations was dropped for business reasons but that's the business. That's why the TOS specifically states that no station is guaranteed. We are just trying to point out why NHK was removed from the station line up. It's nothing nefarious. It's just business as usual. All providers do this from time to time.

• 

10 Messages

2 years ago

Does Spectrum really carry NHK.? Anything besides I pad streaming?  Roku?  YouTube?

Anybody know?

Again I am gratified to see so many supporters of this little gem of NHK.  

As indicated from some posts, we must acknowledge the business end of channel selection by ATT.  But there are also business benefits to attending to customer preference.  Generally speaking, for every 1 complaint about something, there are at least 7 non-voiced complaints. 

I believe, NHK is  public information programing which is at least in part sponsored by the Japanese government.  This is reminiscent of the support our own government used to provide PBS.  With government sponsorship, how expensive could it be to continue this service?  I'd be willing to give up at least one of my several Emeril Lagasse kitchen equipment promotions to provide space.

ConcernedInTN

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

2 years ago

Plucked from a another forum post:

rant]

Every year these threads appear.  And every year I keep wishing the carriers (cable companies and DIRECTV) would hold their ground until the local's realize they are losing eyes for their advertising.   People blame the carriers for their "greed" and not supplying "their channels" that "they are paying for". 

First, they are not "your channels".  Providers can do anything they want to the channel lineup as per these terms of service 8. INTERRUPTIONS, LIMITATIONS, AND MODIFICATIONS TO SERVICE

Service may be temporarily interrupted or otherwise limited for a variety of reasons; some beyond the control of Providers. Providers reserve the right to refuse credit allowances for interruptions of Service. Providers also reserve the right to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, at any time and from time to time, the Services (or any function or feature of the Services or any part thereof) without liability. You acknowledge that Providers may establish general practices and limits concerning use of the Services, including without limitation, the limits set forth in the attached Schedule 1 and Schedule 2.

You are paying for a TV service, not specific individual channels.

Second in this case it's the locals who are the greedy ones here asking for ever more and more money every year for something most anyone can get for free with an antenna (assuming the locals are in range - check here).  And then later everyone complains of their ever increasing bills when the one of the reasons for that increase is the "Broadcast TV Surcharge".  So guess who's actually paying for the locals for their greed ?we the customer

If the carriers stonewalled these locals maybe they would "blink" and put an end to this annual blackmail.  But it never happens and it's just wishful thinking on my part.  In reality the carriers and the locals eventually come to an "agreement" where the locals get less than they asked for (they probably asked for twice as much as they need anyhow if they truly need any more in the first place).  We end paying for the bill.  And it's always the carriers that are to blame.  There's a lot to blame and greed to put on the carriers, but this annual negotiation is not one of them.

[end of rant]

• 

10 Messages

2 years ago

I just read the  post by Constructive.  It would seem the discontinuance of NHK and the outcry of  subscribers is a scenario ATT has encountered before.  The treat of customers to choose a different service is viewed as a form of blackmail.   Repeatedly some posters have reminded us that these are the property of ATT and do not belong to anyone else. Perhaps a nuance lost is the subscriber does become the owner  of these channels when they purchase the service.   Then these channels become my de facto channels.  There is no mechanism for preferences/concerns to be evaluated by the ATT corporation.  No quality assurance mechanism for these issues to even reach ATT.

The recourse is to discontinue ATT service.  Not as a form of blackmail, but as a way to purchase service that better meet my needs.  My problem , I am in away, bound to ATT by virtue of having their fiberoptic cable. While frustrating to not be able to utilize this technology attached to my house, as with any other service I have the option is to vote with my feet.  To go elsewhere.  

I have not been a member of this forum for more than a few days.  Not really sure of the purpose of AT & T Forum or if  it can benefit me.  What i am looking for may not be available to me here. 

To summarize what I have gleaned thus far:  ATT corporate does not read or participate in this forum.  All programming decisions belong to ATT and their company.  Subscribers of ATT do not now nor will they be included in the choice channels.  I should not open a new thread.  I must read the TOS, remembering nothing is guaranteed. 

AND I am not alone in my disappointment in the loss of NHK.  For that I thank the forum.

ConcernedInTN

ConcernedInTN

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

2 years ago

@ConcernedInTN  Your last paragraph pretty much sums it up. And, to be clear, that is how all providers handle their business. I would love to have a la carte programming so I could only pay for what I want to watch, and that all channels would be available to me to add/delete as I choose.

There's a reason why ALL providers add the clause that programming is subject to change at any given time in their TOS's. All the provider's guarantee is the service, not the individual channels on that service. As we have been saying all along, it's a contract between the station/channel owners as to who is going to carry their programming and for how much/how long. When the contracts come up for renewal, negotiations start. And if the parties can't come to an agreement, they part ways. Who suffers? The customer of course. Some providers have deeper pockets than others or better negotiating teams. And who's to say that NHK isn't the bad guy here. Maybe they were asking for an unreasonable amount of money to continue having AT&T carry their programming. It's not always the provider's fault, but they are the first to be blamed.

(edited)

• 

10 Messages

2 years ago

OttoPylot

Right on!  I have often desired an al la cart system, where I could purchase exactly what program I wished to view.  To include the ability to also send the program to my DVR to watch  or save as I desired.  The ability to skip commercials   (I may have mentioned I am chagrined at all the retail  programs/channels ).  Alas, alack that is not available to me as yet.  Nor is the ability to register a complaint as to program changes such as a discontinuance of such a gem of a station, NHK. Ah me.

ConcernedINTN

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

2 years ago

@ConcernedInTN  Everybody wants a la cart programming but no provider will offer it so you're stuck with the packages, and the contract negotiation game that the station owners play with the providers. You can complain all you want but unless you're a major shareholder, the bean counters control the game. And it's not just AT&T, it's ALL providers. Any provider is subject to, and have gone thru, carriage negotiations with the outcome quite often "messing" the customer. Hence the comment in their TOS's. There's nothing you can do other than switch to a provider who offers what you want, at the time. But again, there's no guarantee that the programming will stay the same for as long as you are a subscriber. Time to move on.

FWIW, Comcast is my provider and they carry TV Japan which is supposed to offer NHK, Nippon Television, TV Asahi, etc.

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I have been on the fence about canceling Uverse for a couple of years.  Way over priced and it's really hard to justify almost $300 a month and still not be able to find anything interesting to watch.  NHK was literally the only reason I kept paying that huge bill.  So, I canceled Uverse and increased my internet speed. I'm still an AT&T customer but I get my television content from Roku, Netflix, Disney+ and Amazon Prime. All of which I already had in addition to Uverse.  NHK is available on Roku, and several other streaming devices for free, I still get Grand Sumo, and all my favorite programs on NHK, Both live stream and on demand. I don't miss Uverse at all, or the huge bill that came with it.

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion Sumofan.  The ala carte approach can work. There are only a handful of channels that I watch on Uverse. And since so many networks offer direct streaming, I'll look into that.

Streamed Grand Sumo Preview last night. Can't wait for the tournament to start on Sunday!

• 

10 Messages

2 years ago

Watching NHK on Roku.  A bit more of a hassle but at least it is available to me. Stick a fork in me, I'm done

ConcernedInTN

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.