M

• 

6 Messages

Tuesday, January 28th, 2020 2:17 PM

Closed

Directv Billing issue

I've been an AT&T wireless customer for years (10+) with 5 active phones. I also have been a DirecTV customer for many years (5+). In July of 2019 I moved into a home that does not allow satellite dishes on the roof and had to cancel my DirecTV services. On our way out of town, I dropped off the equipment at the UPS store, as instructed by the ATT/Directv agent on the phone, and expected AT&T to follow through with turning off the service, and the billing, as was discussed.

My account was set up for autopay and, unfortunately, several months of billings occured before I noticed. As soon as I noticed I contacted AT&T and had the account closed and the billing reversed. This is all fine except, the balance due was put into collection and AT&T is completely uncooperative in resolving the matter. They can only see that the account was closed 5 months after I moved and I owe the balance. AT&T claims there is no record of me closing the account in July.

Some facts:

1) the account had no activity since July of 2019 as I sold my house and left the state to my new home.

2) when i dropped off the equipment at the UPS store I received a tracking number. I thought it was a little odd that i was not contacted that the equipment was retruned so, after a couple weeks, I looked up the tracking number and found it had been successfully returned to AT&T/DirecTV so I considered the matter closed.

3) my sister and brother-in-law had the EXACT same thing happen to them and were billed for several months after they closed their DirecTV account...and were subsequently sent to collection.

4) AT&T claims no record of a close account request...However, I have a clear memory of the conversation and can't help that the agent(s) did not complete their task of recording the request. How would I know how to return the equipment if i had not had a conversation with an agent?

My credit is perfect and my payment history with AT&T has been perfect for many, many years. I am still an AT&T wireless customer (10+ years, 5 active lines) and have added AT&T TV to my package. I'm not disatistfied by the services I subscribe but I'm very disatisfied by the lack of support in this matter and hope that somebody at AT&T can resolve this for me. I'm hoping that my history with AT&T can be considered in resolving this...I don't want to adversley impact my credit and I don't wan to to have to find other service providers.

How can I get help?

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

4 years ago

you will need to call them ,this is a customer forum and were all customers.

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

Things got worse...I found somebody that promised to resolve the issue but not only did they not fix it, they escalated it. And said they had no record of our discussion. Last I heard was it was going back to collection. I did receive another collection notice, I responded that they would have to take me to court...I haven't heard anything since. That was over a year ago. I wonder all the time what will happen next.

Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

3 years ago

DirecTV  is no longer part of AT&T.  Click on AT&T Community forum on the top left, than go to additional forums you'll find a link for DirecTV there. 

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

AT&T owned Directv when I had the issue. It was their accounting and support that failed. I was only responding to another users reply.

Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

3 years ago

That's true but when the last two posters posted it was no longer AT&T, they need to go to the forum provided.  Here's the link for DirecTV.  I'm closing this to further posting as it's 2 years old and is no longer part of AT&T. 

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.