Tsparks707's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Mon, Feb 8, 2016 9:29 PM

new customer, left disappointed.

To whom it may concern:

I am a new customer of AT&T Digital life, signing up in Dec.  I called in to start service and spoke to a sales rep that went over my needs for home security.  I advised her I wanted video cameras, door and window sensors and carbon monoxide/smoke alarms.  She said that I fit the needs of the Premium Security and Automation package for $64.99/month.  She told me what was included in the package and after telling her that I didn’t need/want certain items (thermostat, door lock, plugs, motion sensor) she said I could swap them out for other items.  She said I could exchange the door lock for an additional outdoor video camera, and the plus and water/temp sensor for additional contact sensors for the windows.  I agreed and signed up, she said the package would be mailed to me ahead of the installation date.

The package did arrive ahead of the installation date and included EVERY item in that Premium Security and Automation package, even the items I didn’t want.  I called in and spoke to someone who said to let the tech know which items I didn’t want installed at the time he was doing the install and he would swap out/install what I did want.

The technician arrived and I went over what I wanted and didn’t want, he installed everything, at the end of the installation he said that because I didn’t want items like the thermostat, door lock, water/temp sensor, smart plugs, motion sensor my monthly bill should drop to about $40 or $45 a month.  He left taking all the items I did not want installed with him.

I received a bill in the mail for $301.81 and was shocked.  The bill included 2 charges for equipment (one for $100.00 and one for $99.99) as well as monthly charges of $101.81.  I called billing and spoke to Erik who after going in circles and not understanding the issue finally transferred me to his manager Steven ID#[edited for privacy – please do not post personal information].  I went over the entire timeline of events with Steven and he said that he’s still showing I have the items that I said I sent back with the tech.  He then conference in Trisha in the tech support group who said I didn’t have the items installed.  Those items are now missing.  Trisha was able to tell me that the technician who installed the system no longer works for AT&T and that they’d have to track down where the items were.  Because I didn’t have the majority of the package installed she was able to credit me $35 as a onetime courtesy.  I expressed to Steven my displeasure about the equipment charges as the initial sales rep I spoke to never informed me of that charge.  He said he would credit me $100 in equipment charges but he couldn’t credit the other $99.99 as the missing items have not been located.  He and Trisha advise I call back in a few days to see if the field service manager or warehouse manager had found the items the tech left with.  He also told me he’d give me 10% off my monthly service because of the trouble.  I told him that I didn’t feel I should be paying $64.99 a month for two reasons, the tech said my bill would be less and I don’t have the majority of the items in that $64.99 package installed.  Steven said that once the items were found they’d send them out to me and install them at no charge.  I told Steven that I didn’t want some of the items installed and Trisha indicated at that time that I could call in and swap out what I didn’t want for items I did want (example: swap the door lock for a video camera).  This call lasted about an hour and 45 minutes

I called back on 1/20/16 and spoke to April in Technical support who there was no progress with finding the items and to give it a few more days.

I called again on 1/29 and spoke with Kimisha in billing followed by Erik in Support.  They again said that there had been no progress with finding the missing items.  I was bounced around a bit and ended up with Verona in billing.  After repeating the store what seemed to be a 5th time, Verona said she could reduce my monthly bill to $49 because I didn’t have the additional items installed.  She said that there was nothing she could do about the $99.99 bill credit that Steven/Trisha had discussed because there were no notes on the account as such.  I asked to speak to her supervisor and got Rosana who was basically unhelpful.  Rosana said that the charge is valid and I’m not able to substitute items I don’t want for items I do want, which is a complete contradiction from what two technical support reps have told me.  I asked what I could do next to resolve these issues and she advise I send a letter in as I’ve exhausted my escalation course over the phone.  This call lasted about 2hours and 45 minutes in total.

I called on 2/8/16 and spoke to Garsheree in Billing; I made a payment for $46.82.  She then transferred me to Support to see if they could locate the missing items and discuss the remaining $99.99 in charges I’m supposed to be credited.  Trisha from Support answered the phone (who was the original rep in support I spoke with) and she remembered the entire conversation we had with Steven in Billing on 1/18/16.  While on the phone with Trisha she was escalating to dispatch to try and locate the items as well as find out about the credit the call disconnected.  I immediately called back and was transferred to someone else in support by the name of Erik.  After having me on hold for 30 minutes Erik said he’d have to transfer me back to billing because the “Wireless equipment charge” of $99.99 is “not a digital life charge”.  I requested Erik conference me in with someone from billing so we can get this resolved.  Erik then transferred me back to billing where I spoke to Felicia and re-iterated my store for another time.  Felicia placed me on hold and within 10 minutes got back on the line and said she saw that the technician never installed the items, I don’t have the items installed and she said she’d credit me the $99.99 charge.  Felicia got back on the phone and said that she was able to get the $99 credited.

Here are my main issues:

1. The initial sales rep NEVER told me of equipment charges when I called in, furthermore she never indicated I’d only have 14 days to determine if I like the service. 
  2. I shouldn’t be paying for the Premium service when I don’t have access to all the premium products.
  3. There were several items that went missing and haven’t been located.

Lessons to learn:

The communication between your two departments is HORRIBLE.  There should be no reason I had to reiterate my story to 11 different reps.  You should better educate your sales department so they educate customers as to what they are signing up for.  You should better educate your techs who are doing the installs of what is allowed/not allowed and what they can/can’t promise.  You should better educate your billing agents as to what the description of the charges mean and what tech support can/can’t promise.

Although my main issues are now resolved I can’t help but to say that I am thoroughly disappointed about my experience with AT&T thus far. 

I’d like to add that the last rep I spoke to in billing Felicia ID#[edited for privacy – please do not post personal information] was extremely helpful and was able to resolve the issue quickly.  It’s a shame I didn’t get her on the first call otherwise I could have saved over 4 hours of phone call time.  Please thank her for me.

ACE - Sage

• 

92.1K Messages

6 y ago

I have to agree this was not a good way to start with a business, sorry it went so badly.

Please let @ATTDigitalLifeCS know about your experience.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 y ago

Hi,

thanks for the feedback, i did send a private message as well.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 y ago

My AT&T Digital Life Experience was ALSO disapointed and I agree with your regarding your recommendations for better training of the employees.  It has been a total billing NIGHTMARE! The AT&T Digital Life Division desperately needs to get their act together or discontinue this product offer!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 y ago

@thompson2016 wrote:

My AT&T Digital Life Experience was ALSO disapointed and I agree with your regarding your recommendations for better training of the employees.  It has been a total billing NIGHTMARE! The AT&T Digital Life Division desperately needs to get their act together or discontinue this product offer!

Part of the problem with Digital Life's inconsistent advice (relating to billing) is the fact that the Billing Division is located in Jamaica!  I asked the rep for advice on getting this forum's address.  She screwed around for several minutes and finally came up with URL after conferring with two other colleagues.  Pathetic!

iobunny

Scholar

• 

307 Messages

6 y ago

I'm sorry you've had such an awful experience. We love out system and had a few issues with equipment which was eventually sorted but you are right with two departments within Digital Life being awful at communicating etc!!!! Digital Life please sort this out as many threads complain about the equipment return process. You need a set policy and thirds to be clear!!!

i hope you are now enjoying your service like we are 🙂

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.