Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.
johngammel

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

Mon, Jan 20, 2020 5:33 PM

Got a new Roku Ultra for Christmas but AT&T TV Now (a.k.a. Direct TV NOW) app isn't available - when will it be?

Have had TV Now since the beta days. Have new Roku Ultra which we got at a deep discount but per everything I see there isn't a AT&T TV Now app currently available for new installs which I also take to mean updates as well. Per Roku tech support they don't know when the dispute between the two companies is going to be resolved. I have only a few days left in my return window.

Should I go ahead assuming that this might be months until it's resolved or maybe never?

Responses

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

a month ago

On January 1, AT&T TV NOW ended support for Roku players and Roku TVs as the contract between the two ended. AT&T has said that they hope to find a resolution soon and bring support for Roku back. So if you still want the service you will need to purchase another device like an ATV$ or Fire Stick.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
johngammel

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

We aleady have 2 ATV$s and 2 Firesticks. I got the Ultra so that I could use earphones attached to the remote. The two "combatants" are aleady 3 weeks into this with no resolution. Hard to imagine since Roku is #1 in market share and AT&T is losing customers. I would think AT&T would want to get new customers but that's not going to happen if the customers wants to use a Roku. Went to the seller yesterday and the lady at the returns counter told me to bring it in and they will refund my money. Guess I'll just do a hard reset and give up on the AT&T/Roku combo.

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

Still there are other options in streaming out there if you want to pursue. YouTube TV is excellent. I switched several months ago but still use AT&T TV Now sharing with family members. With HBO MAX looming in the near distance I feel that you want see much enhancements with the service.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
johngammel

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

It would be hard to leave after being a BETA guy and suffering through all the problems early on but I might just have to (Edited per community guidelines) it up and download the current spreadsheet from CCN and figure out our options.

(edited)

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

Same here but I did. Just sharing now with another family members subscriptions now. I honestly believe the service will be gone within 6-9 months.

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

Go here for a good comparison of the streaming services.

johngammel

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

Back from the store where I sadly returned the Roku. One interesting "situation" with Roku devices, which I verified with support, is that they are on-line unless you physically remove the power or ethernet cable if your wired. They call it a convenience, I call it a security item. I downloaded the CNET data on services but I'll try your suggestion. With daily changes it would be a full-time job just to keep an updated list.

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

Actually the app still works if it is already "installed" on your device. If you delete the app then it can not be restored.

johngammel

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

I did a hard reset on it and then checked that it looked clean which it did. SAD.

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

As I previously stated, they no longer support the Roku device and it's not available to download now but if you already have it installed you can still use the app on the device.

• 

1 Message

@bcbsncjlj Pretty sketchy that AT&T didn't give any kind of warning that if you removed the app and tried to reinstall it (which I did for troubleshooting purposes), that you wouldn't be able to do so. Now Roku and AT&T are pointing fingers at each other. AT&T has email addresses for subscribers - why didn't they tell everyone in December that this was a possibility? Oh I know - because they're losing money on TV Now and are trying to force people off of it! How else to explain this and the fact that they're removing channels from the packages and raising prices.

bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

Been announced all over the web for at least 2 months. Not new "news". Even listed on their website - but not here. This is only a open community forum of users/subscribers.