Announcements
You Could WIN A Year Of Wireless Service – Learn More!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Thu, Nov 21, 2019 3:56 AM

upgrade equipment

After receiving the letter to upgrade my equipment at "no cost" my bill has unexpectedly gone up $26 a month for services that I did not know about or agree to.  I spoke to 4 representatives at the ATT customer service including the Loyalty Department. They insist that since I accepted the equipment it is legal for them to charge for service. AND even begins a new 2 year contract even if I didn't sign anything. To cancel now will cost about $350 all total. WHO can help me??Thanks

Responses

Accepted Solution

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

52.7K Messages

2 months ago

What did you upgrade from?  And what models are your new boxes?

Some folks have been stung when their free SWAP was actually an equipment upgrade. For example, if you had a D12 SD Receiver, the free SWAP would be an H25 HD Receiver. But sometimes they UPGRADE you to a Genie DVR.  What did you get?

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

2 months ago

I accepted the "swap" at "no charge" and now my bill is $26 higher. Talking with the Loyalty Dept. of ATT [Direct] accepting the new device commits me to a new 2 year contract - without signing anything!! I was never told about any price increase. They insist that since I have the new equipment the additional fees are legal. Now what?

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.5K Messages

2 months ago

@jld498 

That wasn't the MPEG swap but an upgrade. If you only had SD non-DVRs, then an upgrade to a Genie setup would provide you HD ($10), DVR ($10), and Whole Home DVR ($3) which would be $23 more a month for your services, and of course the 24 month agreement for the optional upgrade.

Order confirmation would have shown agreement and any new monthly charges, confirming was not the swap but an upgrade. As for "not signing anything", you should have signed the tech's handheld when they were done with the work as another confirmation of your acceptance of install and agreement.

You can try calling and speaking to a supervisor disputing that it was to be the MPEG swap and not an upgrade, but with the order confirmation and everything it is quite possible the account will remain as it is now. And of course it would depend on what the exact model numbers of the boxes you had originally if it qualified for the swap or not in the first place.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

19.1K Messages

2 months ago

No one here. This isn't even the forum for DirecTV. This forum is for the internet streaming services AT&T TV or AT&T TV Now. DirecTV has its own dedicated forum located here 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

2 months ago

After receiving the letter to upgrade my equipment at "no cost" my bill has unexpectedly gone up $26 a month for services that I did not know about or agree to.  I spoke to 4 representatives at the ATT customer service including the Loyalty Department. They insist that since I accepted the equipment it is legal for them to charge for service. AND even begins a new 2 year contract even if I didn't sign anything. To cancel now will cost about $350 all total. WHO can help me??Thanks

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

2 months ago

YES they gave me a Genie DVR

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

2 months ago

After receiving the letter to update the equipment we called to inquire about this. An appt. was scheduled to update the equipment as stated in the letter. At no time did we approve an update of the service. The technician did not ask for nor did we receive any paperwork.