Why is getting voice line activated so difficult?
I had AT&T Fiber Gigabit internet installed a few days ago. I ordered it online and I’m happy to report that particular process was painless for me. The tech and customer service rep sent to my home for the installation were both knowledgeable and professional.
I am also in need of a home phone line, which I would have ordered at the time of the initial order for internet but I did not see an obvious way to do that online. When I inquired, the internet tech/customer rep both said it should be easy, as in once the account is set up, someone provisions the voice line on the gateway, I plug my phone in the gateway, and that’s pretty much it.
The only way to turn on the voice service seems to be to call. I’ve tried several numbers (800-861-6075, 855-487-0166, 800-288-2020). All of these appear to be routed to the same call center, and the staff there is clearly following a strict script for orders and is lacking in the most basic technical knowledge of the situation. I’ve been told the following by reps. at those phone numbers:
0. I should be able to get the basic offer of voice line for $24.99/month (first 12 months) then $10\month more. (Great!)
1. There is a $99 installation fee even though there is literally nothing to do at my home.
2. A technician must come to my home, even though all he/she would have to do is physically plug my phone into the gateway.
3. I got one rep. to agree to drop the installation fee but insisted #2 is still necessary.
4. The reps. have no option for offering self-installation even though there are instructions for this in AT&T support sites.
I’m trying to minimize time spent on this if possible. I’ve already wasted a lot of time on internet/telecom issues (not entirely AT&T’s fault, I went through a lot of issues with a competitor before finally making the switch to AT&T Fiber). What are my options?
1. Make a technician appointment so he can plug my phone to my gateway?
2. Possibly pay $99 for the privilege of the option above?
3 Does AT&T store personnel handle voice as well? I have a store less than 5 minutes from home and I would be willing to visit if the matter could be resolved.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.