T

• 

4 Messages

Friday, February 19th, 2021 6:42 PM

No Incoming Calls during Initial 5 Day Waiting Period - Newly Installed Home Phone Equipment

My parents installed their new AT&T Wireless Home Phone service yesterday.  They bought a new AT&T phone to go with the equipment and still have the old phone they were originally using.  It was explained there would be an initial 5-7 day period when one phone would make outgoing calls and one phone would receive incoming calls.  The AT&T phone can place outgoing calls perfectly, however, the old phone does not ring at all for incoming calls.  My theory, so far, is the old phone company 'killed' the wall jack.  Can the old phone be plugged into the 2nd port on the AT&T equipment to correct this problem?  They are elderly and need to be able to receive calls for doctors appointments and so on.  Thank you

Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

3 years ago

You say you can place calls.  Is this on the new wireless home phone? If so call your cell or someone you know and ask what number is showing up.  Is it the correct number?  If it is turn in a trouble report that phone won't ring.  You can plug your other phone into the wireless home phone to see if it rings.

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

Thank you I will try that

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

Hello - the first 5 days were up last Thursday and I visited on Sunday to test the new phone for incoming calls.  I disconnected the old phone, made a test call and it worked!  Then today my father called and said incoming calls are again not coming in.  He had to reconnect the old phone and plugged it into the other phone jack on the AT&T Equipment box in order to receive incoming calls.  Said he called Customer Service but was unable to understand the tech.  I'm sorry but my parents are elderly and need a landline and AT&T seemed the way to go.  I asked my father if he wanted to reactivate his Frontier service and return this equipment to AT&T for a refund.  It seems not worth the hassle. 

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

3 years ago

It sounds like the old phone is accepting calls, but the new phone is not.  Is it possible that the ringer is turned off on the new phone?

Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

3 years ago

Why would he have to reconnect service if when he plugged it into the old jack it works?  Did he port his Frontier number to AT&T or is the wireless unit a new number? Did he turn off the wireless unit and wait a minute or so and turn it back on.  If the wireless unit is not working reliably than he has to make the decision to return it or not.  Wireless unit have to have a good strong signal to work properly, does it?  Also if he gets a strong signal from another wireless carrier he could change to them. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.