AT&T Community Forums
BruceK123

Mentor

• 

104 Messages

Sat, Nov 21, 2020 11:15 PM

Can I Still Get a Landline?

Hi,

I have a landline (they call it copper) at my home.  I was told by an ATT tech, when he was out fixing a static problem, that if I ever cancelled my landline, ATT would not reinstate a copper line if I ever needed it again.  (Cell phone reception here isn't so good, and I need to keep in contact with a 97 year old relative.)

My daughter is moving to her own home, and it will also be in a bad cell reception location.  I called ATT and told them that I was told copper lines are not being used once they are turned off.  The customer service person told me that's not true.  If my daughter wants a landline, she can have a landline.

What's true?

Responses

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

9.1K Messages

7 days ago

Use this link to see what's available.  It is true that in some areas once a POTS line is removed they won't offer that service to the address it was removed from again. 

This is a user to user help forum. It is not an AT&T support site. I am not an AT&T employee, read the ACE's disclaimer at the bottom of this post

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
BruceK123

Mentor

• 

104 Messages

7 days ago

I live in a major metro area, and ATT wants to phase out POTS.  At the end of my street is a big ATT POTS junction box.  The darn thing keeps giving static, and the techs have to come out once a year of so to fix.  It takes 12 days to get them out, in the meantime there's no POTS service.  The last time a tech was out, he told me that ATT wants to phase out POTS, and I assumed all over, not just here, and that once a POTS line was cancelled, it wouldn't be replaced.  I don't think they'd come out and actually pull the copper, since there's hundreds of lines, but they'd just not reactivate them.  Perhaps in other locations, they'd continue to activate/reactivate POTS. 

I did use the link you gave to see what's available at the location my daughter is moving to, and it said, and it contradicts itself, because it says high speed internet is not available, but I can get ATT TV, and then says that high speed internet is necessary for ATT TV.  And I wonder why ATT is the most frustrating company I've ever dealt with:

"Looks like high-speed internet isn’t available at your address. However, you can still get great TV service."

"All your favorite entertainment. All in one place. Only with AT&T TV.
Unlock hundreds of channels and thousands of on-demand movies and shows with AT&T TV. "

"AT&T TV requires high speed internet. Req’s min. 8Mbps per stream for optimal viewing. Limit 3 concurrent AT&T streams."
Here's a screen shot of the above:
BTW, the seller told me he had an ATT landline, yet the link says nothing about an available phone line, landline or VOIP. 
My worry is that when he moves out, and he does have a landline, he'll obviously cancel his line, and I won't be able to reactivate the landline with a new number.  That's why I called ATT today, and they said no problem.  I wonder what's true.
Thanks for the reply.

(edited)

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

9.1K Messages

7 days ago

This link will tell you what other carriers are in your area, some probably provided digital phone service too.  Good luck and yes the statement is confusing as AT&T TV is a streaming service, but you don't have to use AT&T's high speed service to get it, so maybe that's what they mean.  

This is a user to user help forum. It is not an AT&T support site. I am not an AT&T employee, read the ACE's disclaimer at the bottom of this post

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
BruceK123

Mentor

• 

104 Messages

7 days ago

I have ATT landline and Mobile here, and Comcast TV and internet.

At this new location, Comcast internet, TV, and voice (VOIP) are available.  I was trying to avoid VOIP. but if ATT won't do landline (still don't know what's true), it'll have to be Comcast all around.

ATT probably doesn't offer that other ISPs can be used to get their ATT TV.  That would be recommending the competition.  If I was going to go with an other ISP (but I can't call ATT an ISP in this particular location), I certainly wouldn't select ATT TV.  After all, it's just a streaming service, and there's hundreds of them.

If I eventually find out if POTS is available, I'll write back.  Move-in day is next week.

Thanks.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

44.3K Messages

6 days ago

it contradicts itself, because it says high speed internet is not available, but I can get ATT TV, and then says that high speed internet is necessary for ATT TV.

That is not a contradiction because you do not need high speed Internet from ATT to get ATT TV. ATT TV is like subscribing to Netflix. It requires high speed internet but it can be any internet provider.

BruceK123

Mentor

• 

104 Messages

6 days ago

Spoom2 already explained that to me.  ATT should be more clear, then, because as a simpleton, I assume that I can't get HSI from ATT, and the statement that I can still get ATT TV is a mistake in advertising.  If they had said that ATT TV was a 'streaming service', this simpleton would have understood.  Pretty simple.

Do you have any comments on my POTS concern?

Thanks for the reply.

Get started...

Ask a new question